Incompatible Arts?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Danjo said:
Doc,

Sorry if I took your meaning wrong. Given that you quoted me, addressed your comments to learning judo and a striking art at the same time (not Tae Kwon Do and Kenpo), and then said, "Like I said YOU can do anything YOU want to do, and justify it to YOURself. Of course the end product will be just what YOU as a martial arts genius deserves.- Crap." Lead me to think that the comments were directed at me rather than the original poster.

If I took it wrong, then I appologize and I'll let it drop.

Regards,

Dan
I'm sorry, but I wasn't aware of the arts you personally studied. My comments were not meant to be taken personally by, nor were they directed at anyone in particular. I was simply answering the question with the generic "YOU." Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I tend to not attack people, but I will "lean on" an "idea" I disagree with from time to time. :)

OP
S

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Disco said:
Stoneheart, My curiosity got the better of me and I'll apologize in advance if the following questions seem to come off the wrong way.

#1. Why didn't or don't you finish your training in TKD? You were that close to BB......
I don't mind answering your questions, Disco.

I moved away from home to attend college. While I lived with my parents, I had taken ITF style tae kwon do before the dreaded "sine wave" became prevalent with a great many groups and schools. I had every intention of continuing with my studies at college, but it seemed like every dojang I could find was WTF-affiliated. Since ITF uses the Chan Hon forms, I felt decidedly out of place attending a WTF dojang, and by the time I stumbled across an ITF style school, I discovered that they REALLY loved the sine wave there... And I didn't and still don't today.

By now I'm so out of practice with taekwondo, that I'd probably be a white belt anyway, and ironically an ITF dojang would now be the very last thing I'd be interested in.

Hence my enrollment in a Goju-Ryu karate dojo.

Disco said:
#2. Aside from all those who have already stated that you would have problems attempting to learn 2 styles at the same time, I have to ask..... Have you got that much free time and money to even entertain such an idea?
Well, I'm no millionaire but money isn't really an issue right now. I mean, paying tuition to two dojos with the extras like private lessons isn't even in the same league as buying an expensive car, and in fact it seems like a better use of my resources to me.

Time...well, I could see myself practicing and working out 12 hours a week. I know some of you will say that time would be best devoted to just learning one art, and those people may well be right. My goals aren't necessarily to advance quickly rank-wise. I couldn't care less about what color belt I wear.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
I'm sorry, but I wasn't aware of the arts you personally studied. My comments were not meant to be taken personally by, nor were they directed at anyone in particular. I was simply answering the question with the generic "YOU." Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I tend to not attack people, but I will "lean on" an "idea" I disagree with from time to time. :)
No problem. I think I read your post too fast anyways before replying. I thnk that we all agree that mixing things too much at an early stage is not the best idea.

Latest Discussions