In these strange times....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why would you think they are more at risk? They are all fit and healthy, they have their respirators to put on when out, ( Covid19 isn't nearly as bad as nerve agents). It's unlikely they will be used because the Brits aren't going to bother rioting, why would they, they are being paid to stay at home.
because they cant by definition all stay indoors for two months or keep umpteen meters apart when they are in a troop carrier. eating in a canteen etal

there not at serious risk of death, they are most certainly at high risk of getting ill

with had serious rioting over more trivial issues than this, wait till the police try to break up large gangs of youths in brixton etc or they realise there is no one available to stop them looting footlocker

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
because they cant by definition all stay indoors for two months or keep umpteen meters apart when they are in a troop carrier. eating in a canteen etal

there not at serious risk of death, they are most certainly at high risk of getting ill

with had serious rioting over more trivial issues than this, wait till the police try to break up large gangs of youths in brixton etc or they realise there is no one available to stop them looting footlocker

Few soldiers eat in a 'canteen' anymore, they have kitchens in their blocks, they don't pay for their food out of their pay anymore, they can isolate quite well as they have single en suite rooms. If one person gets ill, they can isolate ( as they did during a meningitis outbreak a little while ago) they will all recover much at much same time. there's medic to look after them. The military aren't all going to get ill at the same time, there's always going to be enough for whatever is needed.
Plans for a pandemic have been around for decades including the use of troops for various tasks, it's unlikely there will be rioting or looting though, while many are idiots most aren't that stupid.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Few soldiers eat in a 'canteen' anymore, they have kitchens in their blocks, they don't pay for their food out of their pay anymore, they can isolate quite well as they have single en suite rooms. If one person gets ill, they can isolate ( as they did during a meningitis outbreak a little while ago) they will all recover much at much same time. there's medic to look after them. The military aren't all going to get ill at the same time, there's always going to be enough for whatever is needed.
Plans for a pandemic have been around for decades including the use of troops for various tasks, it's unlikely there will be rioting or looting though, while many are idiots most aren't that stupid.
it will go through that population at no less a rate than the population at large and probably much faster, unless they are all currently confined to their homes, isolating those who show symptoms is far to late too stop the spread and that makes me wonder who is guarding the tanks ?

of course if they are all confined you cant load them in troop cariers and send them all to London to deal with disorder issues, can you or by the time they get their they will all have it. the problem with this virus is yes, most people will get ill at the same time. its spreading faster than people are recovering, projections show that the number of infected exceed the number of confirmed case by x 10

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well it seems that there are two schools of thought emerging on that. One group, lead by epidemiologists and other health experts, favors a prolonged lock-down to "flatten the curve" and get us through with the least loss of life.

The other group, including some people more concerned about business and finance, feels that another 2 weeks of lockdown is the max that the economy can bear. Then we should scale back our restrictions and start rebuilding our economy. If we lose a few million, so be it, at least we will keep our economy intact and consequently there will be less suffering in the long run.

Right now our president has a foot in each camp ...which might explain why we are not doing much of anything effectively. Now I'm not about to get involved in politics. My point is simply that I'm not sure which approach will win out. Either way, it will be interesting for you to observe from afar. Unfortunately for us here in the States, it might get a little too interesting. :eek:
and yes, there seems a very real chance that they will throw the baby out with the bath water, and that global economic calapse will kill far more people than the virus

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Like back in the days of The Mods and The Rockers? I hope not.

I don’t think there will be riots here. But if there is I kind of feel sorry for the rioters. I don’t think they’re going to be handled/tolerated the way they usually are.
I have said many times the locks on my doors and windows are protect the person trying to come inside (looters). A Big surprise is on the other side of the door. And under the circumstances any and all warning will be foregone.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was thinking about this the other day. I was trying to think of what I could compare this to. 9/11 came to mind. I don't think 9/11 holds a candle to this. 9/11 had around 3,000 deaths. It affected travel in and through the US ever since, and it had a strong impact on US foreign policy for that time as well. It started a couple of wars. If you include all of the deaths from those wars, it's probably worse than COVID-19 (so far).

Worldwide there's already been 16,000 deaths from COVID-19. Many countries are shutting down. As bad as 9/11 was, it didn't really have much of a direct impact on everyone's lives outside of New York and Washington. But this is reaching everywhere.

I honestly think you'd have to go back to WW2 to find something that's had an effect this profound on the US, or on the World. And I don't think there's many people on here old enough to remember WW2.

And don't get me wrong. 9/11 was a horrible tragedy and I'm not trying to dismiss it. I'm just saying that's the only thing I could think of to compare this crisis, and this crisis seems bigger.

There is little to compare between 9/11 and Covid-19. The former was a attack from foreign entities. Once the physical attack and subsequent cleanup was over the risk of harm was over. It was an immediate effect that was seen, identified, and processed right away. It did change policy and people's psyche. The health risks (physical) were limited to the area of the attack.
Covid is silent and nearly intangible. It has effected everyone (worldwide), either with health issue or minor social discomfort. The financial implications have already been much more far reaching. It is a much greater test of our human compassion, sensibilities, and simple need to act like humans. I feel it speaks volumes that there has been on riots or looting. I give our government and our people big props for this.
No government is ever 'prepared' for something like this because it so rarely happens and the precautions are different each time.
Personal mental, physical and financial preparation are the best anyone can do. This is 101 for life as a whole. The rest of it has to be dealt with just like we do any other adversity in life.
I hope everyone are safe, healthy, and happy.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it will go through that population at no less a rate than the population at large and probably much faster, unless they are all currently confined to their homes, isolating those who show symptoms is far to late too stop the spread and that makes me wonder who is guarding the tanks ?

of course if they are all confined you cant load them in troop cariers and send them all to London to deal with disorder issues, can you or by the time they get their they will all have it. the problem with this virus is yes, most people will get ill at the same time. its spreading faster than people are recovering, projections show that the number of infected exceed the number of confirmed case by x 10

What tanks? We don't have any. If we did there is a dedicated armed Guard Service to do just that.
The military don't get on 'troop carriers' any more, they get in Chinooks, I imagine though a couple of Apaches will soon quieten the rioters down don't you :D considering many of the troops worked in Africa during the Ebola epidemic I doubt they are bothered by this disease. If you think they aren't prepared for this then you're mistaken, action was taken quite some time ago which means the troops will be ready for whatever they need to do.:D

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
[

There is little to compare between 9/11 and Covid-19. The former was a attack from foreign entities. Once the physical attack and subsequent cleanup was over the risk of harm was over. It was an immediate effect that was seen, identified, and processed right away. It did change policy and people's psyche. The health risks (physical) were limited to the area of the attack.
Covid is silent and nearly intangible. It has effected everyone (worldwide), either with health issue or minor social discomfort. The financial implications have already been much more far reaching. It is a much greater test of our human compassion, sensibilities, and simple need to act like humans. I feel it speaks volumes that there has been on riots or looting. I give our government and our people big props for this.
No government is ever 'prepared' for something like this because it so rarely happens and the precautions are different each time.
Personal mental, physical and financial preparation are the best anyone can do. This is 101 for life as a whole. The rest of it has to be dealt with just like we do any other adversity in life.
I hope everyone are safe, healthy, and happy.

9 11 did lead to millions of deaths after the clean up, just not in america

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Your country has rioters all ready?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What tanks? We don't have any. If we did there is a dedicated armed Guard Service to do just that.
The military don't get on 'troop carriers' any more, they get in Chinooks, I imagine though a couple of Apaches will soon quieten the rioters down don't you :D considering many of the troops worked in Africa during the Ebola epidemic I doubt they are bothered by this disease. If you think they aren't prepared for this then you're mistaken, action was taken quite some time ago which means the troops will be ready for whatever they need to do.:D
of course they arnt prepared the British army is never prepared for anything

''right your off to fight a desert wa'r'' ;; can we have desert boots and body armour and armoured cars ''

dont be silly, off you go

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Please elaborate.
what you missed the resultant wars in Iraq and Afghanistan ?

Brown University’s Costs of War Project this month released a new estimate of the total death toll from the U.S. wars in three countries: Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan. The numbers, while conservatively estimated, are staggering. Brown’s researchers estimate that at least 480,000 people have been directly killed by violence over the course of these conflicts, more than 244,000 of them civilians. In addition to those killed by direct acts violence, the number of indirect deaths — those resulting from disease, displacement, and the loss of critical infrastructure — is believed to be several times higher, running into the millions.

It’s Time for America to Reckon With the Staggering Death Toll of the Post-9/11 Wars

NB if saying that 9 11 was terrible, which it was isnt political, then saying that the resultant death toll in wars is terrible is also not political

or if one is, they both are

Last edited:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is little to compare between 9/11 and Covid-19.

It's the only other event in my life that everyone remembers. There's no other "where were you when X happened." There's no other event I can think of that I can imagine my nephew (or if I ever have kids, then my kids and grandkids) asking me "what was that like?" Everything else that's happened has been a fleeting moment in the news, or something personal to me.

9/11 and the COVID-19 quarantines are the only two things I can think of that will make history books, which I can expect every kid to ask their parents and grandparents about.

Please elaborate.

I don't know the full numbers. But if include casualties on both sides of the Afghanistan and Iraq wars, it's at least in the hundreds of thousands. The best number I could find is 480,000 in Afganistan, Iraq, and Pakistan. That's on all sides (including civilians). However, that's over the course of 2001-2018, so around 17 years. COVID-19 is projected to kill far more people than that before this crisis is over.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your country has rioters all ready?

of course we haven't this is a hypothetical discussion

hard to say with the news blackout, but as yet it seems the country cant deal with people going for a walk in the sunshine

of course they arnt prepared the British army is never prepared for anything

Don't wind him up he will use it to insult our 'tiny insignificant island' as he called it, again.

which is why we have the RAF, Navy and Royal Marines.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is why there's no riots in London.
90880737_2886313561484639_3888318314945970176_n.jpg

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
what you missed the resultant wars in Iraq and Afghanistan ?

Brown University’s Costs of War Project this month released a new estimate of the total death toll from the U.S. wars in three countries: Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan. The numbers, while conservatively estimated, are staggering. Brown’s researchers estimate that at least 480,000 people have been directly killed by violence over the course of these conflicts, more than 244,000 of them civilians. In addition to those killed by direct acts violence, the number of indirect deaths — those resulting from disease, displacement, and the loss of critical infrastructure — is believed to be several times higher, running into the millions.

It’s Time for America to Reckon With the Staggering Death Toll of the Post-9/11 Wars

NB if saying that 9 11 was terrible, which it was isnt political, then saying that the resultant death toll in wars is terrible is also not political

or if one is, they both are
So you are off by a factor of millions. Brilliant. We so need someone stirring the pot right now.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So you are off by a factor of millions. Brilliant. We so need someone stirring the pot right now.

Ahem ''In addition to those killed by direct acts violence, the number of indirect deaths — those resulting from disease, displacement, and the loss of critical infrastructure — is believed to be several times higher, running into the millions.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions