Online Classes

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My school is going to try doing online classes this week in order to get through the quarantine. Instead of doing classes every day, we're going to do classes Monday and Wednesday, and then replays of the class on Tuesday and Thursday. We're trying out the Zoom app, which has been used by other Taekwondo schools in the state.

It's not ideal, but with quarantine rules in effect, it's all we have.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My school is going to try doing online classes this week in order to get through the quarantine. Instead of doing classes every day, we're going to do classes Monday and Wednesday, and then replays of the class on Tuesday and Thursday. We're trying out the Zoom app, which has been used by other Taekwondo schools in the state.

If you have any questions about the zoom platform, send me a message. My fiancee's job is teaching teachers how to use zoom, so I can relay the questions.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'd considered this, too, but we simply don't have enough data for it. Streaming for about an hour would use up 1-2 GB of our data, and we're just eating through it with both of us home constantly. Probably a missed opportunity for me.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd considered this, too, but we simply don't have enough data for it. Streaming for about an hour would use up 1-2 GB of our data, and we're just eating through it with both of us home constantly. Probably a missed opportunity for me.

You don't have a landline internet connection?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Although I have never experienced it, and know nothing about it, I think it's great.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, not available here. The only real broadband (dismissing satellite, because it isn't reliable) is cellular.
ive been told that data is very expensive in the states ? you can get unlimited data here for circa 20 quid a month, well i say unlimited, they turn awkward after you have gone through 500 gigs and turn off the tethering function

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of them to be honest. In my area a Krav Maga club is doing and a bjj club are doing online. Personally I'd rather just do my own workout rather than paying to watch a video. But then again I've got a lot of experience. For people with limited experience I guess it could work for them. Each to their own though

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of them to be honest. In my area a Krav Maga club is doing and a bjj club are doing online. Personally I'd rather just do my own workout rather than paying to watch a video. But then again I've got a lot of experience. For people with limited experience I guess it could work for them. Each to their own though

The JKD and Krav Maga schools I mentioned are doing this for free. The Aikido school is not charging, but they would like for students to keep up with monthly payments. The CMA schools I believe one is doing this for free just to keep students going. The other I am not so sure how they are doing it

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
yeah, i kinda figure, if you have the experience and you have the room at home to follow along for a video session, you ought to just be able to have your own training session. I've been training at home, outside of classes, for as long as i've been training martial arts. From the very first week that I took my first class. Practice what you know. Get creative and devise your own drills. It isn't that difficult. I think one big failing in many martial arts schools is that they do not teach people to take ownership of their own training. They teach people that they always need to follow someone. If there is nobody to follow, then they are helpless to train. I really do not understand that mentality.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive been told that data is very expensive in the states ? you can get unlimited data here for circa 20 quid a month, well i say unlimited, they turn awkward after you have gone through 500 gigs and turn off the tethering function
You can get unlimited data on a phone. The hotspot/tethering has a similar approach. I think it's generally a higher cap before they throttle it, but for a few more bucks. But if you use it as your sole connection, it gets expensive. I'm currently checking with other providers to find a better deal than what we have, but so far haven't been able to get the same quality of connection.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, i kinda figure, if you have the experience and you have the room at home to follow along for a video session, you ought to just be able to have your own training session. I've been training at home, outside of classes, for as long as i've been training martial arts. From the very first week that I took my first class. Practice what you know. Get creative and devise your own drills. It isn't that difficult. I think one big failing in many martial arts schools is that they do not teach people to take ownership of their own training. They teach people that they always need to follow someone. If there is nobody to follow, then they are helpless to train. I really do not understand that mentality.
I'd be more interested in seeing sessions from other schools in a setting like that, where I'm likely to see something entirely new, or at least a new approach to something.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Well 75% of our school is kids. Probably 2/3 are under 10. Of those that are adults, probably half are in the beginner belts.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well 75% of our school is kids. Probably 2/3 are under 10. Of those that are adults, probably half are in the beginner belts.
For the under ten age group, I can absolutely see the need for an organized session. However it leads into another issue, and that is the rank of the students. If someone has achieved the intermediate to brown and black belt, I would expect anyone at that rank to be able to design a worthwhile training session for him/herself at home. If they cannot do so because of their young age, it brings up the question of why someone so young is wearing that rank.

Over age ten, it becomes another issue. I don’t know exactly where the line is drawn, but I was thirteen when I began training and I have always put in my own training sessions at home between classes, from the very beginning. And as I progressed, those training sessions often went well over two hours, sometimes three or four. Nobody was pushing me to do this, my parents didn’t enforce training time for me (I paid for my own classes by delivering newspapers) and my teachers certainly didn’t check on me at home to make sure I was training or to enlist the help of my parents to get me to train. I just did it, I found the motivation within myself.

So for teens and adults, even at the beginner levels, I don’t accept that they need to always follow somebody or else they cannot practice. I just don’t buy it. Schools need to teach that students need to own what they have learned. They need to stand on their own two feet. The instruction they receive is not to make them beholden to the school. The instruction is to teach them a body of skills and knowledge that they can take with them for a lifetime.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Practice what you know.
Agree! I can train "groin kick, face punch" for the rest of my life, and I don't need to learn anything new.

When my brother in law asked me to drill "1 step 3 punches" for 3 years, that was the best MA training investment I have ever made in my life time.

Last edited:
OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For the under ten age group, I can absolutely see the need for an organized session. However it leads into another issue, and that is the rank of the students. If someone has achieved the intermediate to brown and black belt, I would expect anyone at that rank to be able to design a worthwhile training session for him/herself at home. If they cannot do so because of their young age, it brings up the question of why someone so young is wearing that rank.

Over age ten, it becomes another issue. I don’t know exactly where the line is drawn, but I was thirteen when I began training and I have always put in my own training sessions at home between classes, from the very beginning. And as I progressed, those training sessions often went well over two hours, sometimes three or four. Nobody was pushing me to do this, my parents didn’t enforce training time for me (I paid for my own classes by delivering newspapers) and my teachers certainly didn’t check on me at home to make sure I was training or to enlist the help of my parents to get me to train. I just did it, I found the motivation within myself.

So for teens and adults, even at the beginner levels, I don’t accept that they need to always follow somebody or else they cannot practice. I just don’t buy it. Schools need to teach that students need to own what they have learned. They need to stand on their own two feet. The instruction they receive is not to make them beholden to the school. The instruction is to teach them a body of skills and knowledge that they can take with them for a lifetime.

Wow.
  1. I never said anything about under 10 brown and black belts. You put that all in on your own. And that's a whole different discussion.
  2. You and I both agree that children (especially below "brown belt" level) need structure, and that beginners could benefit. So you're complaining about the 12.5% of students remaining.
  3. Just because people can practice on their own, doesn't mean that they can't benefit from a structured class. It's socialization (which is hard with social distancing in effect). Maybe they learn better in a group.
Your post just seems to be a huge rant because people aren't training the way you plan to train during quarantine.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is one of my favor forms. If you have good foundation, do you think you can just learn from this clip?

Your thought?

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is one of my favor forms. If you have good foundation, do you think you can just learn from this clip?

Your thought?

Yes but like I always say, you can learn the 'how' but likely will not learn or understand all of the 'why' on your own.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes but like I always say, you can learn the 'how' but likely will not learn or understand all of the 'why' on your own.
The preying mantis form is designed in such a way that the look is exactly the same as the application. One may have problem to understand the application of a long fist (or WC) form. But one can always be able to figure out the application of a PM form.

There exist no hidden application in any PM form.

- front kick,
- back kick,
- right hammer fist,
- left hammer fist,
- left hand grab, right hammer fist,
- left front kick, right uppercut,
- right upper block, left straight punch,

Last edited: