In these strange times....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is from a site named Coronavirus Update (Live): 684,676 Cases and 32,180 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer so I do not know how accurate it is but it jives with the numbers I have seen on the network channels:
Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

You can say Spain is the anomaly. Just under 78,797 cases with 546 deaths. With the exception of 4 countries nearly all other deaths are in the single digit.

Death is a part of all our lives. A person should not get caught up in the hype and just worry about the immediate world around them first. The best we can do is serve our fellow man and live life. I do not want to live a walking death before I die.
by signle didgit do you mean less than 10, but coz that clearly not the case i that link you gave, i think your looking at the new deaths ie those in the last 24 hours ?

the trend for both new infections and deaths is steeply up, there no reason at all to suppose that trend will not continue upwards, a weekago or so, they anounced the death of the fist couple in the uk ingreat detail, now they are reporting them by the several hundred,per day theres no reason to suppose that it wont follow the progresion and be several thousand a day by this time next week

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
by signle didgit do you mean less than 10, but coz that clearly not the case i that link you gave, i think your looking at the new deaths ie those in the last 24 hours ?

the trend for both new infections and deaths is steeply up, there no reason at all to suppose that trend will not continue upwards, a weekago or so, they anounced the death of the fist couple in the uk ingreat detail, now they are reporting them by the several hundred,per day theres no reason to suppose that it wont follow the progresion and be several thousand a day by this time next week
Did you even look at the link. It is quite straightforward.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I fully believe this is a natural occurrence that we cannot do a whole lot about. We all know there have been several pandemics over the centuries. In reality, this one pales in comparison to most of them.
I just read an AP article that said the US had 80,000 flu related deaths in 2017. That is just from the flu, not all winter time related deaths. This is a point of emphasis to highlight how much the press is keeping the fires flamed and encouraging people to freak about this winter time illness season. Pure fear mongering.

2 weeks here. As of right now non-essential businesses such as restaurants can go back to work here. It will be so sad to see how many small businesses will not come back from this. You can say what you want but I fully believe there is a Big political element to this.
well your projection was wrong, your government has moved it back to the end of April, where it will most probably slip again as the medical officer is warning of 200,000 US deaths, which its self looks like a serious under estimate, so it seems your government are drip feeding the bad news as well

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well your projection was wrong, your government has moved it back to the end of April, where it will most probably slip again as the medical officer is warning of 200,000 US deaths, which its self looks like a serious under estimate, so it seems your government are drip feeding the bad news as well
Understandably, you are wrong again based on media bias. The report said the models, which were candidly stated to be built on uncertain data, estimated 100,000 to possibly 200,000 deaths. We are not on any kind of lockdown. It is rather close to business as usual in many parts of our country and the world.
Pour something in your glass because it is always more than 1/2 empty. Very tiring and unbecoming for this site at large.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
well its a false premise that you issolating yourself is going to make the slightest differance to the death toll. common sence says it should, but the data doesnt support it, its an equally false premise that medical intervention can save those who are otherwise likely to die, and an even more false premise that there is a vacine in the works that will save many lives, by the time a vacine appears, there will be only those with aquired imunity left to give it to

Sorry, it's very hard to communicate with that pessimistic and cynical attitude. None of those points make any sense at all..

That's probably the data because people aren't bloody keeping isolated. Especially here, people are just not listening and still going out and about on casual outings. Of course isolation can help not spread it as fast. Data and "numbers" simply don't tell everything.

Of course medical intervention can't save those who are going to die. That doesn't mean it can't save those who are likely to die. Where you pulled that from...

So they're not gonna have the vaccine in time to help anyone? That's what you're saying? That's what you're prophecising?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So they're not gonna have the vaccine in time to help anyone? That's what you're saying? That's what you're prophecising?

Apparently the birth rate is zero in joboworld...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pour something in your glass because it is always more than 1/2 empty. Very tiring and unbecoming for this site at large.

He's a Nihilist though he pretends he's something else, he hates all authorities especially the police because they are 'all corrupt', he hates the military as well, he believes that he and he alone has 'the truth' therefore looks down on us all as being ignorant. it's also worth remembering that Rousseau became increasing mentally unstable, he claimed that a single idea was at the centre of his world view with human beings being good by nature but are made corrupt by society I imagine chimes with jobo's view of the world but isn't a view that holds up because as the argument goes if all humans beings are good how could evil take hold? Jobo says he's not a Marxist but there are many who say Rousseau influenced the harsher aspects of the French revolution and then Marxism.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is rather close to business as usual in many parts of our country and the world.
It is not business as usual for many people that I know. A couple people own business; a salon, an eyebrow threading place, a couple restaurants. They still have to pay commercial rent, while not earning income. Which is fine for a month or two, but if it goes beyond that, they will be in deep trouble. Then I've also got friends that are waiters/waitresses/bartenders who may or may not be getting paid basic wages, but definitely aren't getting tips. Then I've got friends who are in construction or landscaping that aren't making any money whatsoever. And before you mention again how they should be prepared with an emergency fund-conventional wisdom is approximately 3 months salary saved. If they make 50k a year, so they would ideally have 12k saved up for emergencies. Which, depending on their circumstances, will last them 2-5 months. And that's hoping another emergency like health problems don't come up.

Then there are other people in the hospital where I work (for reference there were at least 10 known positive COVID-19 patient's in my hallway alone today, not including those who are waiting for tests), that were taking care of elderly family members, who now are staying with friends so they don't get those family members sick. Personally I'm stuck in my basement during this time, since my grandmother just got out of the hospital and I'm not risking anything with her.

So yeah, at least in NY, it's not business as usual, and I suspect the rest of the country is not far behind. If it's business as usual for you, I'm genuinely happy for you. But don't take that for granted and assume it's the same for everyone. Be grateful, hope it stays that way, and thank God (or whatever you believe in) that you're not being impacted by all this.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is not business as usual for many people that I know. A couple people own business; a salon, an eyebrow threading place, a couple restaurants. They still have to pay commercial rent, while not earning income. Which is fine for a month or two, but if it goes beyond that, they will be in deep trouble. Then I've also got friends that are waiters/waitresses/bartenders who may or may not be getting paid basic wages, but definitely aren't getting tips. Then I've got friends who are in construction or landscaping that aren't making any money whatsoever. And before you mention again how they should be prepared with an emergency fund-conventional wisdom is approximately 3 months salary saved. If they make 50k a year, so they would ideally have 12k saved up for emergencies. Which, depending on their circumstances, will last them 2-5 months. And that's hoping another emergency like health problems don't come up.

Then there are other people in the hospital where I work (for reference there were at least 10 known positive COVID-19 patient's in my hallway alone today, not including those who are waiting for tests), that were taking care of elderly family members, who now are staying with friends so they don't get those family members sick. Personally I'm stuck in my basement during this time, since my grandmother just got out of the hospital and I'm not risking anything with her.

So yeah, at least in NY, it's not business as usual, and I suspect the rest of the country is not far behind. If it's business as usual for you, I'm genuinely happy for you. But don't take that for granted and assume it's the same for everyone. Be grateful, hope it stays that way, and thank God (or whatever you believe in) that you're not being impacted by all this.
@dvcochran according to this, the unemployment number has spiked from 250k people to 3.3million between march 14th and march 21st. And was on an upward trajectory from there.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I want to thank all the people working the hospitals in any capacity. They are warriors on the front line of this thing.

I believe I did mention restaurants and certain parts of the country (I did not want to single any area out). I do understand New York is in a tough spot. With the population density there (67,000) vs. the national average (9,000), one can see that NY was a ticking time bomb.
I also have friends who work(ed) in non-essential jobs that are going through tough times. I know several of my friends have started working as drivers for the various delivery services who are likely making a killing right now.

The main point of my post with our friend across the pond was that we do Not need to reinforce fear mongering. Global news has a way of painting the worst picture possible on most things.

In our area most all people in a skilled trade (carpenter, plumber, electrician, etc...) are working. I see a lot of landscapers mowing grass as well (it is spring flush here so the grass is really growing). A lot of our factories are shut down and that does amount to a considerable amount of people not working. Every store I have been to is staffed.

As far as savings and an emergency fund, the effects of this pandemic on daily income should cause people to see the need for one. For some who did have an emergency fund may find it had not been funded enough. No, we can never fully predict what financial hits we may take in the future but something is better than nothing.

So what do you suggest we do? Set back and cry for the government to take care of us? This kind of thinking comes with a steep price that I for one am not willing to pay. Just because we may be out of our comfort zone, out our normal, from a silent enemy how is this anyone's fault?

I commend our government. They are doing everything possible with a tough enemy like we have never faced before. It is All new territory. It is much better that information be disseminated as best as possible before putting out to the pubic.

FWIW, I do thank God everyday, for all things good and bad. I wish more people would reach out for His strength and comfort.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as savings and an emergency fund, the effects of this pandemic on daily income should cause people to see the need for one. For some who did have an emergency fund may find it had not been funded enough. No, we can never fully predict what financial hits we may take in the future but something is better than nothing.

It's important to remember that having this buffer is only possible if you're making enough to have anything extra after paying for little trivial things like a roof and food. A large portion of the US can't safe because they literally would have to choose between saving or eating.

I commend our government.

You really shouldn't.

They are doing everything possible with a tough enemy like we have never faced before. It is All new territory. It is much better that information be disseminated as best as possible before putting out to the pubic.

The "information" coming out of Washington is factually incorrect, ignores the input of subject experts, and is a fine example of the sort of "magical thinking" young children engage in. According to that info, we've already beaten the pandemic at least twice, hospitals are hording ventilators, there is no shortage of PPE, it's just that staff are stealing it, the economy is more important than actual lives, a 2 TRILLION dollar bailout for businesses is fine, but a mere 1 billion for ventilators (you know, to actually save people) is too much, and we've gone from "the buck stops here" to "I take no responsibility".
Perhaps the word you're looking for is "condemn".

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I want to thank all the people working the hospitals in any capacity. They are warriors on the front line of this thing.

I believe I did mention restaurants and certain parts of the country (I did not want to single any area out). I do understand New York is in a tough spot. With the population density there (67,000) vs. the national average (9,000), one can see that NY was a ticking time bomb.
I also have friends who work(ed) in non-essential jobs that are going through tough times. I know several of my friends have started working as drivers for the various delivery services who are likely making a killing right now.

The main point of my post with our friend across the pond was that we do Not need to reinforce fear mongering. Global news has a way of painting the worst picture possible on most things.

In our area most all people in a skilled trade (carpenter, plumber, electrician, etc...) are working. I see a lot of landscapers mowing grass as well (it is spring flush here so the grass is really growing). A lot of our factories are shut down and that does amount to a considerable amount of people not working. Every store I have been to is staffed.

So what do you suggest we do? Set back and cry for the government to take care of us? This kind of thinking comes with a steep price that I for one am not willing to pay. Just because we may be out of our comfort zone, out our normal, from a silent enemy how is this anyone's fault?

I commend our government. They are doing everything possible with a tough enemy like we have never faced before. It is All new territory. It is much better that information be disseminated as best as possible before putting out to the pubic.

FWIW, I do thank God everyday, for all things good and bad. I wish more people would reach out for His strength and comfort.
well if a government isnt going to take care of its population in times of extreme crisis, then it asks the fundamental question of why bother having a government at all ? it does owe a duty of care to its citizens

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
He's a Nihilist though he pretends he's something else, he hates all authorities especially the police because they are 'all corrupt', he hates the military as well, he believes that he and he alone has 'the truth' therefore looks down on us all as being ignorant. it's also worth remembering that Rousseau became increasing mentally unstable, he claimed that a single idea was at the centre of his world view with human beings being good by nature but are made corrupt by society I imagine chimes with jobo's view of the world but isn't a view that holds up because as the argument goes if all humans beings are good how could evil take hold? Jobo says he's not a Marxist but there are many who say Rousseau influenced the harsher aspects of the French revolution and then Marxism.
im neither a Marxist or a Nihilist, but your using these terms as insults, to dismiss another point of review as irrelevant when they are simple statements of fact

Rousseau also influenced the universal declaration of human rights, which may be your problem as nether the police or the armed forces are big fans of inalienable human rights, as it stops them from killing torturing or general beating people, which is largely the reason many of them joined in the first place

in the latest bizarre twist in civil liberty the police are try to stop the sale of Easter eggs, coz '' no fun allowed '' its not surprising that a lot of people have a reluctance to accept the police as sensible proportionate body with the welfare of the populass at heart

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Set back and cry for the government to take care of us?

That's what you pay them to do, it's not socialism, it's the fact that you employ them to do exactly that. If they don't take care of you why are you voting for them and paying their salaries? They are your servants, they aren't rulers, they are supposed to do what you want them to do.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im neither a Marxist or a Nihilist, but your using these terms as insults, to dismiss another point of review as irrelevant when they are simple statements of fact

Rousseau also influenced the universal declaration of human rights, which may be your problem as nether the police or the armed forces are big fans of inalienable human rights, as it stops them from killing torturing or general beating people, which is largely the reason many of them joined in the first place

Actually I wasn't using them as insults the fact you think so is telling.

Your take on the military and police has now become boring as well as very wrong but then you will take their help while calling them behind their backs.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually I wasn't using them as insults the fact you think so is telling.

Your take on the military and police has now become boring as well as very wrong but then you will take their help while calling them behind their backs.
i do pay quite heavily for their services, its only fare that i can use the service whilst complaining that the service wasn't at all good

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i do pay quite heavily for their services, its only fare that i can use the service whilst complaining that the service wasn't at all good

Victor Meldrew, as I said.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Apparently the birth rate is zero in joboworld...
That's what you pay them to do, it's not socialism, it's the facunt that you employ them to do exactly that. If they don't take care of you why are you voting for them and paying their salaries? They are your servants, they aren't rulers, they are supposed to do what you want them to do.

I fully agree with this concept. Way too many people in the role have a hard time with the term 'servant'.
Like everyone else, I pay a Lot in taxes. This comes with expectations like good leadership, infrastructure, sanitation, economy, etc.... Like you said they are not rulers, but they are our leaders and should be treated as such. I believe they (all nations leaders) are doing the best they can. Just like the rest of us should be.
This thing is moving so fast it has to be incredibly difficult to fully understand what our trajectory should be. It speaks loudly to just how little control we have over mother nature. She is a fickle ***** right now.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well if a government isnt going to take care of its population in times of extreme crisis, then it asks the fundamental question of why bother having a government at all ? it does owe a duty of care to its citizens
And how are they not. Do you know of Any hospital or care facility that is Not working at full capacity in regards to the virus?
The last time I checked all governments are fresh out of magic wands to make this all go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions