In search of boon hae

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm heavily into boon hae or however you want to write it but I don't have any problem with the standardization of poomsae.

In the old days patterns were only meant to help you remember what you already had learned and that's what they do for me. Help me remember applications.

If you do it the "old" or the "new" standardized way doesn't matter because as soon as you start grabbing each other it wont resemble any of the standards enough to satisfy the purists. :-D

One of the things that karateka who are very big on realistic bunkai for classical Okinawan/Japanese kata are always reminding you is that it's the applications that are important, and in a real street dustup, what you will be doing will be anything but elegant performance in a traditional manner. But they also emphasize that if you really understand the strategy, tactics and mechanics that the kata are trying to teach you, even a ragged-looking application of those lessons could well be a `perfect' execution, because you did implement the management of the fight as the kata `shows' you.

The problem I think is that traditionalists suspect the modifications of the kata may sacrifice some of that instructional content—or close to all of it, as in the case of Ms. Bruce's martial floor routine—for dramatic/athletic/gymnastic effect. The idea, I think, is that if you keep the form as clean and traditional as possible, the visibility of the instructions encoded there will be most easily recoverable. Someone Bill Burgar does modify the kata, but as he shows in his book Five Years, One Kata, the modifications are in the direction of making the applications more visible, less hidden under the stylized movement that were part of the conventions followed by the early pioneers, who could be pretty sure that any of their senior students who looked at what they were doing would know what combat moves were intended. This kind of modification is a far cry—really, it runs 180º away from—the kinds of acrobatic spectable that we see in performances such as Ms. Bruce's and that of other `XMA' acrobats.

Latest Discussions