Important things to remember when teaching children

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What do you think are some important things to remember when teaching your martial art to children? Is it respect and obedience. Remembering to have fun? Safety? Technique?

When you teach children, what do you focus on?

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I find that focusing more on proper movement and coordination and less on lethality.

Fun is very important. Kids have short attention spans relative to "most" adults. :D So things must be fun and not not too repetitive (if they are fairly young).

Although, I think fun applies to adults as well.

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh yea thats for sure. FUn is important. Also not too much strength training due to forming bones, ligaments and all that jazz. I think one of the funnest things I would do with the kids was give them those neon/florescent nunchaku's and let them do their weapon forms with the lights dimmed. They got a big rush out of that.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As BigShadow stated, kids have shorter attention spans than adults. When teaching kids, I shorten the classes a bit, to 45 minutes. For some reason, that's the magic number, since anything longer tends to result in their minds wandering.

I will always emphasize that I want them to enjoy their martial arts training, but at the same time, they MUST take it seriously.

I'll also emphasize that it's never a contest between one person and a fellow student. It's more about that one person improving, and being better than his / her self from a previous time.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Patience..We follow the rule of time....for every year of age = one minute of attention to you. or 5 years old will give you five minute of his attention, 6 year old will give you six minutes.

In class we try to keep them busy, lots of physcial activites, different routines, have them lead the classes in certain areas. (counting).

You will have those who are always talking/playing around and not paying attention, these kids keep you on your toes. Also a good indictor they are getting bore....time to up the activitives.

Most kids are there because their parents want them to learn the martial arts for protection, some do enjoy the martial arts, some later on, others cannot wait to go home.

Being a role model is very important, kids do want to copy you.

We treat them always with respect, as individuals, kids love games...not in every class.

OH! always give them lots of encouragement, positive feeling, let them know they are doing good. Call them by their names too. ..Aloha

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Understanding them as individuals is another important ones. They won't all learn at the same rate or the same way.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lead by example and have fun fun fun till your daddy takes the T-bird away oh yea that a song never mind me to late, tired.
Terry

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
Set the example is what I would consider most important. They are watching you constantly.

absolutely.

remember, guy instructors, that a lot of our child students are without a positive male role model anywhere else. i can't tell you how many single moms have mentioned that as a major reason for their involvement in classes. many say it's one of the reasons they sought out martial arts for their sons.

be that guy, the healthy, cheerful, responsible positive coach/ cheerleader/philosopher their mothers want them to grow up to be.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
I find that focusing more on proper movement and coordination and less on lethality.

Fun is very important. Kids have short attention spans relative to "most" adults. :D So things must be fun and not not too repetitive (if they are fairly young).

Although, I think fun applies to adults as well.

I agree!! Once you lose their attention, its very hard to get it back. Things need to keep moving. While we may not have to disguise the training as more of a 'game' when teaching adults, its still a good idea to keep a fun theme to the class. Keeps 'em coming back for more!!

Mike

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
As trite as it might sound I have found it is important to smile :D .....
When I concentrate I tend to frown a bit, just the way my mouth naturally goes and when I first started out teaching I didn't think anything of it until one of the senior instructors told me about it and said I was scaring some of the younger kids, so when I teach I have make sure I smile and I have found it doesn't matter what or how you teach the younger ones, i.e. like 10 and below, if they think you are mad at them or are scared of you, they aren't going to learn much....

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Parents bring us their children mostly for improved discipline and confidence. Making it fun is key as well as giving them exercise since this is lacking for many kids.
Developing their own skills helps build self esteem and the social interaction has helped lots of our kids too.
In some cases, the kids aren't getting a good example set for them in other areas of their lives so its important to set a good example for them while in the school. This will help them to develop a positive code of conduct.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
With children I try to focus more on self-discipline and control. Depending on the age, I try to stick with principles of self defense more than actual technique. In my old 5 year-olds class we talked alot about stranger awareness and household safety (fire safety, etc).

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All of the above, plus break things down into very small parts, practice each part individually, and then slowly combine them. This is the same thing I do for adults, I just carry it farther for kids.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Give examples of everyday movements and actions to which they can relate. Remember that their vocabulary is not always as developed as the adults (in some case they maybe more :)). Be sure to used words and phrases they understand. A long time ago I heard an instructor relate a technique to sitaution in a bar fight. Hello, the child was 8 years old. :)

Being 6'7", I will occasionally have work from a kneeling positions, so not to intimidate the student.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Self-respect. Help to teach the kids that they matter, and that their behaviour and actions reflect back on them. Once they have self-respect, then they can learn to respect others as well.

The bow to a partner in our karate classes is a promise that we will not hurt them. Reminding the kids of this helps them keep safety in mind while practicing their techniques.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
When I instruct youth class. Its for 1 hour 2 times weekly. I give them the same type of training asadults. But not as hard. I want them to learn and I want tthem to want to come to class. So I try to make them feel they are a part of every class And they are treated well and make there workout fun But good learning. Work well with them praise them when they are getting better never tell them they can not do it encourage them to do it better. And its nice to get them laughing from time to time. If they just can not pay attention long enough or are not ready I will talk to the parent because I do not want to instruct any body that just is not ready. Thats like sealing the money away from the parents and many schools are guilty of this these days. A child has to ba at a teach able age If they can give a 20 minute span of attention in the begining they can increase that in a short time of quality instruction.