Importance of posture

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
read an intersting article that shows the role posture can play in projecting an image of your state of mind...

fight breaks out, and even though people at the far side of the crowd can't see what's going on, they are immediately on edge. Now, a Harvard researcher has an explanation for this fear contagion, the quick spread of emotion through a crowd.

Seeing someone adopt a fearful posture triggers areas of the brain that express emotion and get the body primed for action. It's a response that can race through a crowd like wildfire.

"We are extremely sensitive to emotional body language, and we react to it without us being aware of it,"
the article has more but it is interesting to note how important body language is in communication...

when i see the people walking around, shoulders hunched over, head down and not paying attention to their surroundings...i may not be an attacker...but they look like targets...

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You gave more of a visual description of what a fearful posture would be. The one thing lacking in that story were photos. I don't think people know they are showing fear. It's the same way with job interviews, nervous habits, chewing fingernails, looking at feet, slouching in chair, indirect eye contact, lack of confidence. These visuals can transferred to those fearful of being struck or hurt in some way. Their instinct isn't to defend an attack, but to blend into the wall, run or hide. Same way with animals. The tiger and the hare. Probably not too many hare's on this forum. TW

5 hand swords

TigerWoman said:
You gave more of a visual description of what a fearful posture would be. The one thing lacking in that story were photos. I don't think people know they are showing fear. It's the same way with job interviews, nervous habits, chewing fingernails, looking at feet, slouching in chair, indirect eye contact, lack of confidence. These visuals can transferred to those fearful of being struck or hurt in some way. Their instinct isn't to defend an attack, but to blend into the wall, run or hide. Same way with animals. The tiger and the hare. Probably not too many hare's on this forum. TW
Mob postures can trigger from fear to rage faster a person would normally be able of experenceing the emotions.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Is it human nature to follow the crowds? Is this a survival instinct? Laugh and they laugh with you...cry and they cry with you. Simile and they simile with you. Run and we will too?....Aloha

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe Dr. Phil said about 96% of inter-personal communication is non verbal. It is important to take note of the little things that will betray you in a stressful situation (like a job interview) and attempt to control them.

Latest Discussions