Impact weapons?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh...

They'd just come out within the last year or so when I was in the academy. We got a deal, and most of us bought one. During training with them, we did have the impact tip break off of a couple, and Monadnock was great about replacing them. In fact, they not only wanted to replace them, but wanted to examine why they'd broken. (Is that what happened to yours, Lawdog? 'cause I can't figure out how the actual metal barrels of it could come apart...)

Since I don't use it on the street, I don't have much to say about how it holds up... With the ASP, I've found that you do need to do a little maintenance, and watch the tension clip. It'll wear out...

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
jks9199,
The batons that I broke are the standard expandables, these have a metal handle with a plastic expanding rod. The plastic rod broke in half at the point where it is attached inside the metal handle. All three broke at the same location.

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
http://www.2dao.cn/Shop/sg/casp/200604/88.html

You should have gotten one of these. I missed my target and hit a concrete wall once with no damage whatsoever, not even a stratch. And mine was a Chinese copy.

It only consists of five pieces (But could better be reduced to 4). Two steel "rods", the steel handle with some kind of foam-like grip (Excellent), the butt end (A powerful magnet), and the worst piece - a simple ring where the "rods" slide out. The latter I have had to re-glue several times, but this is hardly anything more than aesthetically pleasing.

If I could get one a little longer and with the ring being an actual part of the handle, it would be better. DAMN ASSEMBLY LINES!

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
woaaa deadly. that can easily tore off some skin, just wanna ask, is it legal to carry these things in ur country.

Quite. It can puncture the skull. Tearing off skin and hair is an effortless byproduct of every strike. ;) In China (Not my country) they are in the standard line-up of police/guard weapons and there are different variations. I'm not sure if civilians can carry these, but telescopic batons are legal.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
jks9199,
The batons that I broke are the standard expandables, these have a metal handle with a plastic expanding rod. The plastic rod broke in half at the point where it is attached inside the metal handle. All three broke at the same location.
The Autolock is all metal; http://www.batons.com/autolock.aspx will take you to their page. I'm guessing, based on their product line, that you're talking about the Positive Lock Baton (http://www.batons.com/positivelocksx.aspx) which is a different product.

I would be hesitant about a polycarbonate baton, especially expandable. I remember some time back being part of a group given some supposedly "unbreakable" poly/wood batons; we broke all 12 of them.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
jks9199,
Thanks for those links. I do know about the autolocks, we have tested them to see if they would work well in our area of the four seasons. Our results were a mixed bag of pros and cons.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Whoops forgot one, I have a "tire thumper" in my car. It is a small (18") bat with a two inch metal head and a lanyard. I found it at a Flying J and decided that such an item could be potentially very useful for you know, checking tires.

Lamont

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One of three broken Monandnock expandables.

Ouch. I am not a fan of the Monandnock. I still like the old PR-24. However for pure impact I would go with an ASP anyday over just about any other blunt tactical tool partly because it works so well with what I do and partly because I have literally abused some ASP's and never had a problem.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I absolutely love my E2D. Got a lot more use out of it than I expected. Haven't had any issues taking it on a plane either.
e2dexecutive_240.gif

I also have my super secret marking kubotan in silver ;) Used to carry a green one but I used it so many times it....it....it.....ran out of ink. :D

sharpie.web.jpg

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ouch. I am not a fan of the Monandnock. I still like the old PR-24. However for pure impact I would go with an ASP anyday over just about any other blunt tactical tool partly because it works so well with what I do and partly because I have literally abused some ASP's and never had a problem.

Duuuuude...I would rather cut out my tongue that disagree with a Dark Lord, but Asp sucks...I have carried an Monadnock expandable for years and never had a problem..PLUS to close it its just a push of a button, no wacking it on the ground..We all have our likes and dislikes..And I STILL carry my old PR-24 in my cruiser case every shift..

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Carol,
I am not real familiar with your E2D, how big is it? Does it have the new high intensity light?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol,
I am not real familiar with your E2D, how big is it?

Not very big...it's smaller than the AA maglite that I broke (I'm kind of infamous for breaking indestructible flashlights :D)

Its about 4.8" long and weighs 3 ounces. VERY easy to carry. I'm thinking about getting a holster for it though...accidentally making contact with the crenolated bezel can hurt.

Its good at keeping predators away...4-legged and 2-legged ;)

Does it have the new high intensity light?[/quote]

Yup it does. Only drawback is high intensity=high power drain...the energy for the light has to come from someplace. I keep a spare pair of batteries in the car just in case.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Carol,
Thanks for the quick response. I get the impression that you just tested the intensity of the light on yourself.
Did you close one eye?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol,
Thanks for the quick response. I get the impression that you just tested the intensity of the light on yourself.
Did you close one eye?

Heh. Andy M. taught me to close one eye to keep the rhodospiril (?? whatever that protein is that gives your eyes night vision) from bleaching out in the light. ;)

I did try it on myself...I couldn't raise the beam all the way to eye level before I wimped out..and that was in the basement with some ligths on. I carry it with me if I'm out walking or jogging and turn it on I see something else moving. I'm amazed at the output, even in lit areas.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Latest Discussions