I'm such a pansy

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I feel like such a pansy..... over 40 years of training MA and over 30 using a heavy bag and not once have I used gloves to hit the bag, always fists....Started out with a pillow tied to a closet door and then I got a heavy bag for Christmas and used it for years without gloves…Finally wore out that bag and got another one and treated it much the same…Heck not too long ago I use to use trees and the occasional wall to train Sanda palm strikes with no gloves……

Well I have not been hitting the bag much for well over a year because it bothered my knees, the power in my area of CMA comes from your root which gets directed by the waist and in between those are my knees.... well about 2 weeks ago I was standing there looking at my heavy bag and I thought I would give it another go and much to my surprise I found I could hit the bag again so I started doing just that using Xingyiquan Wuxingquan strikes (piquan, zuanquan, bengquan, paoquan, hengquan)….and…my darn hands and fists hurt, but being me (not always the brightest bulb in the box) I kept trying for about 2 weeks…. I could handle about 3 hits per side per element (30 strikes) on the bag and I had to stop because my hands simply hurt too much…..so yesterday I gave in, I surrendered, and went and bought so Everlast MMA grappling gloves (similar to these) Yesterday I got in 8 per side for 5 elements (80 strikes) and my hands felt fine…It is not much compared to what I use to do….but it’s a start… It was really cool and felt really good to be hitting the bag again but I still feel like a big pansy

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pansy.

From the French noun
pensée, which is the word for "thought".

Sounds like you put good thought in to this indeed. :asian:

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Thanks......but I still feel wrong....

Well I guess this pansy will head down to the basement, put on the......gloves......and hit the bag for a bit

On a side note.....even though I have the bag clamped to a steel I-beam with a clamp I covered with am inner tube and that I-beam which is supported by two steel posts mounted in concrete.....my wife still tells me I'm breaking the house

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nah, a pansy would have simply quit, rested on his laurels and reminisced of his glory days.

What I'm seeing is someone who was not going to accept the fact that he was not able to keep going and found a way to do so.

Sounds like the definition of a fighter to me.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nah, a pansy would have simply quit, rested on his laurels and reminisced of his glory days.

What I'm seeing is someone who was not going to accept the fact that he was not able to keep going and found a way to do so.

Sounds like the definition of a fighter to me.
---------------------------------------------------
I have used bag gloves for western boxing type of bag work but I am bare fisted for wing chun work and am careful about aligning joints even those in the hand.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your hitting the bag pretty hard, you might want to add wraps under the gloves as well. It's the little bones that get a good portion of the stress, the wraps give them a lot of support.

I tend to use wraps for light hitting more technique and accuracy, gloves (very similar to yours) for just medium or short sessions, and both for pounding and endurance, the more tired I get the more chance I have of hitting at a wrong angles. The wraps and gloves protect me from myself. But has paid off, I'm considering getting some 18oz boxing gloves for the endurance sessions which are great support with the wraps.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am a proud member of the pansy club. Maybe we should start a guild. :)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am a proud member of the pansy club. Maybe we should start a guild. :)

Sounds good to me, Buka. Let's all practice pansy technique. Pan-si kuen fat in Cantonese or pan-si quan fa in Mandarin. Hey Xue, you speak Chinese, right? How does that translate into English?

BTW some years back I used to do an excessive amount of wall-bag hitting. Too much. 5,000 or more punches every other day. Not only destructive to your joints but it stole time from more important aspects of training. So I wised up and got away from that. Now I'm in the same boat as Xue. I have soft little pan-si fists too. You know, you can do a lot of damage with a pan-si fist, if you hit just right!

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
some years back I used to do an excessive amount of wall-bag hitting. Too much. 5,000 or more punches every other day. Not only destructive to your joints but it stole time from more important aspects of training. So I wised up and got away from that.

Hey geezer, just curious, did you have the wall bag on any kind of springy support or was it hanging directly against the wall?

I have mine hanging on a wooden wall on a piece of thin plywood supported between a couple of 2x4s. Gives it a fair amount of springiness.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey geezer, just curious, did you have the wall bag on any kind of springy support or was it hanging directly against the wall?

I have mine hanging on a wooden wall on a piece of thin plywood supported between a couple of 2x4s. Gives it a fair amount of springiness.

The plywood backing sounds like a good way to go.

I used to hang my bag from a long adjustable clamp from Home Depot which I'd fasten horizontally on a square-sided concrete support pillar at a local park. The pillars were slightly tapered giving the surface a slight backward slant so the 3-section bag rested quite solidly against the concrete surface. I kept the bags filled with rice and beans. Sand would have been way too hard. Also, every ten hits I'd shift my target point a few inches to the right or left to keep the fill from compressing too much. Even so, I do not believe this level of conditioning is very healthy over the long term, so nowadays I hit softer things and have reduced my reps.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Man, I haven't seen that movie in ages. I'll have to go back and watch it again.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh SURE!!!

As if I don't feel like a big pansy already....you have to go and bring CONAN into this.....:disgust:......:uhyeah:

He could've at least made it Conan O'brien. Then we would have all felt like tough guys!

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It depends, are we talking about punching him in that skinny scarecrow body, or that massive tank head? I'm pretty sure Iron Mike would have a hard time knocking out Conan O'Brien with a head shot.

Latest Discussions