Heavy bag disappointment

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I had a 50lbs Everlast bag for close to 40 years (I still have it actually, I just can’t bring myself to throw it out.. which turned out to be a good thing) and it took a lot of beatings. But after almost 40 years the cover was starting to look pretty rough.

I was so happy with that Everlast, I went out and bought me another one, this time an 80lbs bag. I have had it for only a few years and the contents of the bag has pretty much all dropped to the bottom and I cannot raise the bag anymore so to hit it with any resistance I am in a deep horse stance.This makes moving in with proper structure to strike with Xingyiquan pretty much impossible for all but Bengquan so….Last night I had enough; I dug out the old bag, cleaned it off and started using it again and the cover may be rough and it may be a little over 40 years old, but it is still a better bag than the new one I bought from Everlast

Damn, Everlast ain’t what it use to be :disgust:

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
have you tried an RDX bag - i got 2 a 5ft pencil type one weighing in at around 70lbs and a teardrop weighing in at around 80lb. i've had both for about a year - i train MT and they both take a lot of punishment and i've yet to scar the leather or see any movement from the contents.

just thinking out loud - not had any experience with other makes cos when i bought the rdx ones they were on offer :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Old, old bags were really made to last. The only bag's I am happy with made today are typically full length Muay Thai banana bags. They are great. Still those old bags were absolutely fantastic!

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
have you tried an RDX bag - i got 2 a 5ft pencil type one weighing in at around 70lbs and a teardrop weighing in at around 80lb. i've had both for about a year - i train MT and they both take a lot of punishment and i've yet to scar the leather or see any movement from the contents.

just thinking out loud - not had any experience with other makes cos when i bought the rdx ones they were on offer :)

I've been wondering about the Teardrop bags. I looked at RDX but all the prices where in pounds and I spend dollars. :)

How do you like the teardrop for training?

Oh and the heavy bag I have, and am not happy about it leather.

Old, old bags were really made to last. The only bag's I am happy with made today are typically full length Muay Thai banana bags. They are great. Still those old bags were absolutely fantastic!

Yeah I remember the old kick bags at Jea Hun Kim's school, now that was a kick bag, 100 lbs canvas, of course that was also over 30 years ago

I remember you telling me about the Muay Thai banana bags, I shall have to check it out. My only issue is the height I have to hang it. I am hanging it off an I-Beam that is about 8 to 9 feet up...I shall check it out

But I'm loving my old bag, I am just not sure how much more of a beating it can take

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I had a 50lbs Everlast bag for close to 40 years (I still have it actually, I just can’t bring myself to throw it out.. which turned out to be a good thing) and it took a lot of beatings. But after almost 40 years the cover was starting to look pretty rough.

I was so happy with that Everlast, I went out and bought me another one, this time an 80lbs bag. I have had it for only a few years and the contents of the bag has pretty much all dropped to the bottom and I cannot raise the bag anymore so to hit it with any resistance I am in a deep horse stance.This makes moving in with proper structure to strike with Xingyiquan pretty much impossible for all but Bengquan so….Last night I had enough; I dug out the old bag, cleaned it off and started using it again and the cover may be rough and it may be a little over 40 years old, but it is still a better bag than the new one I bought from Everlast

Damn, Everlast ain’t what it use to be :disgust:

I've killed 2 of the 80 pound and 1 50 pound Neverlast bags from the late 90's switched to a perma built 60 pound and 100 pound eagle trading co bag and could not destroy those but I have them to my Kung fu school when I moved out of state.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I've killed 2 of the 80 pound and 1 50 pound Neverlast bags from the late 90's switched to a perma built 60 pound and 100 pound eagle trading co bag and could not destroy those but I have them to my Kung fu school when I moved out of state.

My original Everlast, that is still doing ok is from the early 70s the one I have now, that is no good anymore is from around 2010. I shall look at perma built as well

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sad when an old bag goes.

Any chance you can use the outside of the new one over your old bag? Won't fit great, of course, but might settle over a couple years.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Sad when an old bag goes.

Any chance you can use the outside of the new one over your old bag? Won't fit great, of course, but might settle over a couple years.

Nah, the old bag is shorter with a bigger diameter and its a 50 pound bag. The new bag is longer and an 80 pound bag. The old one is still working so I will just use that until I find a good replacement. Although I thought I had a good replacement when I bought the 80 pound bag...turns out I didn't

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sad how the technology that improves their production has gone up in quality, but the products themselves have lost integrity.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
the teardrop bag i bought as a dedicated knee and elbow bag - really like it and find that it goes well with the pencil shape one i got.

the internals of my bags are made from recycled fabric so it'll never condense into a pile in the bottom of the bag like the maize ones do. so whilst knocking the stuffing out of it you're helping the environment too ;)

teardrop for punching against i don't really punch it just use it for knees and elbows but even if a maize filled one piled in the bottom of the bag it'd still be of some use for punching.

guess that i just like rdx --- have you tried asking the guys at rdx through their wsebsite (live chat) about cost of products and shipping and stuff ????? i know that i'll never use another company :)

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
the teardrop bag i bought as a dedicated knee and elbow bag - really like it and find that it goes well with the pencil shape one i got.

the internals of my bags are made from recycled fabric so it'll never condense into a pile in the bottom of the bag like the maize ones do. so whilst knocking the stuffing out of it you're helping the environment too ;)

teardrop for punching against i don't really punch it just use it for knees and elbows but even if a maize filled one piled in the bottom of the bag it'd still be of some use for punching.

guess that i just like rdx --- have you tried asking the guys at rdx through their wsebsite (live chat) about cost of products and shipping and stuff ????? i know that i'll never use another company :)

I shall contact them when I am ready to buy again, I'm sure shipping will not be cheap, but I will find out.

For now I think I will just use the old kick bag.....it is working great

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
From my experience the newer bags weakness are where the chains connect to the actual bag is where they tend to start to tear so id look in to finding a good bag with allot of reinforcement around that area.

I used shoe goo on several of my Neverlast bags to extend their hanging life and when they finally were unable to hang I used the large ones as grappling punching bags.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
From my experience the newer bags weakness are where the chains connect to the actual bag is where they tend to start to tear so id look in to finding a good bag with allot of reinforcement around that area.

I used shoe goo on several of my Neverlast bags to extend their hanging life and when they finally were unable to hang I used the large ones as grappling punching bags.

Where did you get your perma built bag? I was looking on line and it took me here Punching Bags- Pro Boxing Supplies and boxing Equipment!

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well I bought my bags in the late 90's and early 2,000's from a local martial arts shop but the material and strap design is very similar to that tai bag design. (In the link)

The only issue I had was that the top zipper eventually broke but that was about 5 years in to it and caused no adverse side affect other then an occasional piece of shredded cloth falling out when doing a hard high punch or kick.

I prefer that vinyl strap system compared to the everlast and other bags that use the common chain method for their straps.

Last edited:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everlast kind of went a "mass market" direction with their stuff. It's OK, but not always the up to real heavy training. Ringside stayed more along the "real" line.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
that sounds pretty much like rdx gear - the rdx stuff is tested by fighters before it's released onto the market -- for the price they're outstanding.

i'm expecting that i'll still be kicking and knocking the s%^t out of mine for at least the next 10years which when you consider that i'm paying £30 plus postage a piece for them is superb value for money :)

the only downside to the rdx ones is that the chain that comes with them is 18inches long so you gotta have a high hanging space for a 5ft bag.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I've decided to vent my frustration at Everlast, although it is likely nothing will come of it I am going to contact them about this

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've decided to vent my frustration at Everlast, although it is likely nothing will come of it I am going to contact them about this

If their management is anything like their product, then they may give in.

I bought a 6'/100# bag from Kwon over 20 years ago and it has held up well.

Latest Discussions