Heavy bag disappointment

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
:hmm:....the top of my disappointing heavy bag has a zipper!!

Anyone know where I can buy heavy bag stuffing?

Shredded material so old tee shirts work fine or any other old stuff you got laying around.

I always thought about putting a large diameter PVC Pipe near the same height as the bag with two end caps in it then filled with sand. Wrap it with some sheets or blankets so you don't hit the PVC with a power punch and then stuff the shredded material around it as the filler and cushioning.

What happens is the cheap sand bags work their way to the bottom of your bag causing it to sag and get all funky so this would fix that issue but the main issue I had was my Neverlast would always rip where their chains are connected essentially making this ideal pointless since I could no longer hang my bag

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Take more you'd probably want to put a nice cushion on the inside of the bottom of the bag so the pipe dosent wear a hole thru the bag.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Shredded material so old tee shirts work fine or any other old stuff you got laying around.

I always thought about putting a large diameter PVC Pipe near the same height as the bag with two end caps in it then filled with sand. Wrap it with some sheets or blankets so you don't hit the PVC with a power punch and then stuff the shredded material around it as the filler and cushioning.

What happens is the cheap sand bags work their way to the bottom of your bag causing it to sag and get all funky so this would fix that issue but the main issue I had was my Neverlast would always rip where their chains are connected essentially making this ideal pointless since I could no longer hang my bag

While researching heavy bag stuffing I saw that PVC idea and it looks like a good way to stuff a bag. But I really am just looking for a way to make this disappointing thing useful while I try and figure out what to get to replace it. But even that is not imperative since my old Everlast is still...well....lasting.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
While researching heavy bag stuffing I saw that PVC idea and it looks like a good way to stuff a bag. But I really am just looking for a way to make this disappointing thing useful while I try and figure out what to get to replace it. But even that is not imperative since my old Everlast is still...well....lasting.

Agreed its a waste of time and money. You can always empty the bag then stuff some old shirts in the bottom of the bag then make a layer of original stuffing then a shirt with a bag on top then stuffing and add another shirt then repeat till the bag is full.

The everlast sand bags tend to sink to the bottom and also get closer to the striking surface of the fabric. I know this because I have a crushed right hand middle knuckle due to doing a full power cork screw shovel hook on a 80 pound canvas bag and hitting the damn sack of sand they use to fill them.

My right middle knuckle is about three times the size of my left and this injury happened in the early 2000's

Last edited:

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
PS I did that last method and it worked well to prevent the sand bags from dropping I also wrapped each sand bag with a shirt to prevent further hidden sand bag trap incidents. It worked well till the straps tore off the top of the bag then that particular bag turned in to my grappling ground and pound bag.

PS re stuffing the bag is a real PITA

Last edited:
OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
PS re stuffing the bag is a real PITA

That is what I figured and pretty much why I don't want to get into it so much. My plan is to find some stuffing, unzip the top and stuff it in. Then zip the top back up and use it for a while....unless it annoys me to much.

It is a leather Everlast bag and it was not cheap to buy...but apparently Everlast is now building bags cheaply so....

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
the old phrase you get what you pay for springs to mind.

the RDX ones that i use and have been "testing" for the last 4 years are amazing - didn't expect much cos of the price but hell i give them grief everyday and no issues :)

send the everlast one you got back to everlast and tell them you want a replacement or you'll spread bad things about it all over the MA world ;)

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
the old phrase you get what you pay for springs to mind.

the RDX ones that i use and have been "testing" for the last 4 years are amazing - didn't expect much cos of the price but hell i give them grief everyday and no issues :)

send the everlast one you got back to everlast and tell them you want a replacement or you'll spread bad things about it all over the MA world ;)

If I got what I paid for I would be able to hand this bag down to my grandkids :D

I am waiting for a response from Everlast...I have contacted them twice so far and got nothing back

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We use rubber mulch in our Fairtex banana bags. Good, heavy & solid but gives when you hit & doesn't compact into concrete like sand can/will in the right conditions.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Yup. Different brand I believe, but same stuff. It's used on playgrounds & such. It looks like the cedar mulch but obviously isn't. So far it's held up well with no packing like sand does when you really beat a bag. Here in Georgia where we average 60% humidity & more on an average day from May to September, that makes a difference in pounding & it not turning to packed concrete.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yup. Different brand I believe, but same stuff. It's used on playgrounds & such. It looks like the cedar mulch but obviously isn't. So far it's held up well with no packing like sand does when you really beat a bag. Here in Georgia where we average 60% & more on an average day from May to September, that makes a difference in pounding & it not turning to packed concrete.

Thanks. That is what happened to this bag, the top got all fluffy and the bottom turned into concrete. About how many bags of this do you think your standard old school 80 pound bag needs?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks. That is what happened to this bag, the top got all fluffy and the bottom turned into concrete. About how many bags of this do you think your standard old school 80 pound bag needs?

I dunno... we filled Fairtex 200lbs Banana bags. I'm not sure what the weight of each bag is. If you need volume, go with the shredded material as well towards the bottom because there will be settling to a degree with the rubber mulch, but not compression like sand.

Latest Discussions