Im stronger now than I was in my 20s

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright the style is called Shi-to Ryu. Hopefully with the dash I can post it here.
That's much better. Now I can get Master Ken out of my head.

The BJJ I just started recently and I like to refer to it as Gracie JJ not BJJ since the school does use the Gracie name. Yes it really does get you in shape although I've done Judo before and that gives you just about as much exercise. Back when I was 25 I lifted weights as I do now and now I can lift more.
I see GJJ as a subset of BJJ, kind of like Shito-ryu is a subset of Karate. BJJ in general tends to have the same conditioning effect, which is why I used that more generic term. Nothing wrong with preferring the GJJ name, by the way - a good brand that tends to have high standards.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I see GJJ as a subset of BJJ, kind of like Shito-ryu is a subset of Karate. BJJ in general tends to have the same conditioning effect, which is why I used that more generic term. Nothing wrong with preferring the GJJ name, by the way - a good brand that tends to have high standards.

Well there is a lineage of BJJ which is completely independent of the Gracies although I believe its founder went to the same Jiu Jitsu school that Carlos and Helio went to. Usually though when people mention BJJ they're talking about GJJ or a derivative of it since most BJJ can be traced back to the Gracies except for the lineage I just mentioned. However, since the Gracie name has been copyright you know that if you train at a school that uses the Gracie name you've got the real deal in terms of Gracie Jiu Jitsu. Anybody can say they teach BJJ but not just anybody can claim to teach GJJ.

Latest Discussions