I'm not a karateka, not a judoka, not a boxer. I'm a martial artist.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Throughout my time spent here I have been around here and there, bouncing from place to place. Eventually I found a karate dojo (kenpo offshoot) that I really enjoy, here we are training both striking and grappling, joint locks and take downs ect.

I had a brief experience with boxing and honestly didn't like it, I felt it was limited but it sure was a damn good workout and overall good experience. It just wasn't what I was seeking in martial arts. Anyway, my point is what do you refer to yourself as when it comes to which marital arts you practice?

For example there is of course karateka which means practitioner of karate, and judoka and jiu jitsiero ( I butchered that.) Since I do more than one thing, I don't see anything fitting other than the term "martial artist."

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Throughout my time spent here I have been around here and there, bouncing from place to place. Eventually I found a karate dojo (kenpo offshoot) that I really enjoy, here we are training both striking and grappling, joint locks and take downs ect.

I had a brief experience with boxing and honestly didn't like it, I felt it was limited but it sure was a damn good workout and overall good experience. It just wasn't what I was seeking in martial arts. Anyway, my point is what do you refer to yourself as when it comes to which marital arts you practice?

For example there is of course karateka which means practitioner of karate, and judoka and jiu jitsiero ( I butchered that.) Since I do more than one thing, I don't see anything fitting other than the term "martial artist."
i don't use a collective noun to identify myself with, i some times say" i do karate" but never in a month of Sundays,would i say " i am a karateka" apart from the fact that i would then have to follow it up with an explanation of what it meant, it sounds really pretentious, but calling yourself a " martial artist" is,a bit pretentious as well

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm a human...that's all i don't need a title because I don't go round talking about it to non martial artists and I'd never say hi I'm a ____

ipmann97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Could announce yourself as the one style you are most passionate about? And then mention you do or have done other styles.
So for example (I do Karate but I also did or do boxing, judo etc.)

Sent from my DLI-L22 using Tapatalk

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I prefer the term Martial artist. It's simple and since I train in different styles I can use it as a blanket term to describe all of them at once.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I consider myself a Martial Artist. It's what I tell folks should they ask. Just told it to a new doctor I recently saw.

But when I'm with a group of people I know to be Martial Artists of various arts, I say "I'm a Karate man', which I am. To those I know, they get a kick out of it, to those I don't, I'm sandbagging, not entirely innocently.

I have never used the word Karateka, other than teaching students the term. And I used to pronounce Karate with it's proper pronunciation, but stopped that a long time ago. It's just easier to say it the street way. Everyone knows the term. I don't remember ever meeting someone who didn't know what the word Karate meant.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But when I'm with a group of people I know to be Martial Artists of various arts, I say "I'm a Karate man', which I am. To those I know, they get a kick out of it, to those I don't, I'm sandbagging, not entirely innocently.
Do you demonstrate the Quart of Blood Technique before or after you tell them you’re a karate man? Ever show them your Kung Fu chain belt?

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm a Martial Artist. My base art is Kung Fu San Soo since my early teens. Jeet Kune Do is what I've been training for a few years now. I've cross trained in quite a few systems and taken from each and blended into something that works well for me. I'm a Martial Artist.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm a human...that's all i don't need a title because I don't go round talking about it to non martial artists and I'd never say hi I'm a ____

Nowhere in this did I say I do this.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Could announce yourself as the one style you are most passionate about? And then mention you do or have done other styles.
So for example (I do Karate but I also did or do boxing, judo etc.)

Sent from my DLI-L22 using Tapatalk

I could, maybe I I'll do that when speaking about martial arts to other martial artists but otherwise I'll keep it simple.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If a martial artist asks me, I'll say kempo. If they seem genuinely interested, I'll state the different things I've practiced more intensely. But for 95% of the people out there, if they ask me how long I've trained etc. I just say "martial arts", and if someone asks where I was last night, I'll say "karate". People know those two words, and I've never seen a benefit to explaining what kempo, kenpo, sambo, kali, etc. is to joe shmoe.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
"I am whatever you say I am if I wasn't then why would you say I am."

Kano said that.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chuckling at Buka's sandbagging. I'm with you on that.

Depending on the audience/questioner, I can reply "I've done some judo." Or, "I was in taekwondo for a while." Sheez... who wasn't. They don't need to know I did it for 25 years-ish. I don't worry about the actual proper terms, karateka, judoka, and whatever it is that aikido people call themselves/ourselves (I prefer aikibunnies, myself -- Quest for the Holy Grail type of bunnies, there ya go).

If they know I teach and they're asking me questions about that, I usually answer very briefly, then turn the question back to them with a simple "Why do you ask? Interested in trying it out?" That conversation just might get a lot more in depth on the background, if they are a truly interested person.

I think I've said the word judoka on the mat a couple times for one reason or the other, but generally don't use those terms much. Mostly, it's "I do.." or "I did" or "I used to do..."

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I consider myself a Martial Artist. It's what I tell folks should they ask. Just told it to a new doctor I recently saw.

I have never used the word Karateka, other than teaching students the term. And I used to pronounce Karate with it's proper pronunciation, but stopped that a long time ago. It's just easier to say it the street way. Everyone knows the term. I don't remember ever meeting someone who didn't know what the word Karate meant.
This is similar to my approach. When I tell non-MA people about what I do, I'm either "a martial artist" or "a martial arts instructor". When talking to a group of informed martial artists, I "study and teach Nihon Goshin Aikido" or more commonly "my primary art is Nihon Goshin Aikido". Mind you, that clarifies nothing for most martial artists, either, then I'll end up explaining what NGA is.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is similar to my approach. When I tell non-MA people about what I do, I'm either "a martial artist" or "a martial arts instructor". When talking to a group of informed martial artists, I "study and teach Nihon Goshin Aikido" or more commonly "my primary art is Nihon Goshin Aikido". Mind you, that clarifies nothing for most martial artists, either, then I'll end up explaining what NGA is.
Do you tell them you’re the real Steven Seagal?

I tell people I’m in Cobra Kai.