Im considering teaching private lessons, your feedback is greatly appreciated.

KSJx

White Belt
Reaction score
On the side, I'm thinking of giving private lessons. I'll provide some background information so that my value for services and teaching potential can be evaluated.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What sort of feedback are youlooking for? Do you have any specific questions, or are you just asking if you're qualified to be a teacher?

Is this your first time teaching, and do you have students lined up? If you do, are they friends of yours that are interested, or strangers?

OP
K

KSJx

White Belt
Reaction score
With no prior teaching expertise, I'm brainstorming and starting from zero.
This would only be to pay the bills because I already have a job.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In order to give you some feedback - How long have you been training, in what, and how often?

OP
K

KSJx

White Belt
Reaction score
I've been practicing martial arts for 15 years total, and I've earned a few ranks in several systems.

Shotokan-Shodan

Kyokushin-blue belt

Shorin Ryu-Shodan

BJJ-2 stripe white

With the exception of guiding a few stretches before class, I have never taught. Due to priorities like family and career, I am not actively training. I'm considering using the space I have to teach a maximum of 1-3 people individually. Id prefer to be on a more low profile teacher (no huge advertising). I simply figured I'd refer back to my MA credentials and see how I can use it to make a little cash by imparting what I know. I have no curriculum or ideas on what and how to teach.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm thinking of giving private lessons.
I'll suggest to teach application first. You can teach basic later on. IMO, if you start with the basic, it may be too boring for most of your students.

For example,

Application: groin kick, face punch combo.
Basic: Correct way to do a front kick. Correct way to do a punch.

After a student understands his goal, he will follow the proper path to reach to that goal. So to let your students to see the goal is important.

Last edited:

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have no curriculum or ideas on what and how to teach.
So.... I am your first student... I show up for the first lesson... what am I going to learn? What can I expect to learn in 6 months? 1 year? 5 years?

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
As long as you’re honest about your expertise and how far you can take someone. Case in point, we had a discussion about the straight arm bar take down. Many folk mentioned the pro cons and variables. Okay, so you teach this technique, but do you know the variations and counters or counters for the counters? I not saying not to teach, just food for thought.
Also, I have students that train at my home apart from our formal class. I have the blessings of my instructor. I find that it is much easier to teach two than one, Especially when it comes to application. That way, one student can clearly see the pain on the other students face.LOL.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So.... I am your first student... I show up for the first lesson... what am I going to learn? What can I expect to learn in 6 months? 1 year? 5 years?
That's an excellent question to ask during the 1st day of the class.

During the 1st day of my high school long fist class, I asked my teacher, "What will you do if I punch to your face?" I believe in my long fist teacher's 30 years teaching experience, I was the only student who asked him such question during the 1st day class.

OP
K

KSJx

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm stuck there, hehe I'm unsure of how I would teach someone the methods I am familiar with. Should I impart each one separately or mix them to create my own system and rename it?

If I were to teach each style separately and traditionally, I would need permission from the head instructors of each, in addition to paying organization fees ETC.

alternatively I may combine the strongest elements from each one. However, there is still the issue of what to do if a student wants to seek rank, etc.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm unsure of how I would teach someone the methods I am familiar with.
2 men drills is your answer.

Principle (that you want to teach): The leg is longer than the arm.

2 men drill:

- A punches B.
- B kicks A.

kick-against-punch.gif

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm stuck there, hehe I'm unsure of how I would teach someone the methods I am familiar with. Should I impart each one separately or mix them to create my own system and rename it?

If I were to teach each style separately and traditionally, I would need permission from the head instructors of each, in addition to paying organization fees ETC.

alternatively I may combine the strongest elements from each one. However, there is still the issue of what to do if a student wants to seek rank, etc.
The reason I asked the question is that you may at some point, have that first student wanting to train.... now what? Before you begin teaching... maybe figure out what exactly you will be teaching. You have some good questions there, about what exactly to teach. I would suggest figuring out what you are going to teach and how you going to move students along before you start teaching.

Teaching a known style is easier.... the curriculum is basically there for you. If you are going to do your own mix... you have to start from scratch. The tricky part here is not to just do the easy stuff first. Figure out what you want an accomplished student/artist to be able to do. Then work backwards, so that you teach the right building blocks in the right order, so that the student can progress to your desired outcome.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

You have to come up with your curriculum first. And before that, determine if you are teaching a curriculum are not. Don't look for a student until you've done that.

Later tonight I'd go through what my thought process would be in a flow chart, hopefully that will help. Ping me if by like 10PM EST you don't see anything.

OP
K

KSJx

White Belt
Reaction score
My dilemma is how to teach all of those elements without having to jump through hoops to stay traditional or get approval from each style's head instructor. I think each style with which I am familiar has something to contribute.
For instance, each student would be required to pay an organizational fee to the style they choose to train in, and I would be required to keep track of their dues, etc. VS teaching a single, purposeful instruction for a single charge, etc.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For instance, each student would be required to pay an organizational fee to the style they choose to train in, and I would be required to keep track of their dues, etc. VS teaching a single, purposeful instruction for a single charge, etc.
Your teacher taught you information. The information is yours. You should have the freedom to pass down to whoever that you want to pass.

The ACSCA has reveived $0 from students through teaching. Are we living on the same planet?

Last edited:
OP
K

KSJx

White Belt
Reaction score
True and completely agree, but some organizations/styles are very strict about how you teach the style or keep close tabs on you. Some organizations do not want you to teach the system in conjunction with other styles, and they also want the org fees.

Thats my head ache if I chose to teach the systems individually, plus more time will need to be allotted to teach each one

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
True and completely agree, but some organizations/styles are very strict about how you teach the style or keep close tabs on you. Some organizations do not want you to teach the system in conjunction with other styles, and they also want the org fees.

Thats my head ache if I chose to teach the systems individually, plus more time will need to be allotted to teach each one
Sounds like you need to first figure out what it is that you are going to teach. That is step one. All your effort right now, should be focused on that question. This answer will be the key to how you proceed.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dilemma is how to teach all of those elements without having to jump through hoops to stay traditional or get approval from each style's head instructor. I think each style with which I am familiar has something to contribute.
If you're not giving out certificates from that organization, then none of this is true.

Latest Discussions