I'm an influence!

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is cool:

Last week at work, I was talking to one of the crew members on the printing press that we work on, and I casually mentioned the fact that I have just started studying Karate...Automatically, the fellow that I was talking to was interested...He said that he had always wanted to study one of the arts, but he never did...He started asking me questions about different arts, and what would work best for him...I could only give me him a list of the arts that are in the surrounding area, and tould him to do research on the internet...He seemed to be interested in Jujutsu, but there is only one school in the immediate vicinity that I could think of, so he was unsure of what to do...He's a little guy(5'3", maybe 130 lbs. wet), so the Tae Kwon Do/Tang Soo Do thing with all of the high kicking and stuff was out for him...I told him about where I study, but he lives over 45 minutes from my Dojo, so he didn't really want to drive that far...Then I told him about Kenpo, and where the school was that I was going to join before I found my current Dojo and told him to check it out...I also gave him the link to Larry Tatum's website to check out...
I didn't see him for about 5 days after that(small vacation, on my part)
Last night, I see the guy again, and he proceeds to tell me that he just started at the Kenpo school that I recommended, and he loves it!
So I guess that means that I was an influence to the younger generation!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome!! Thats great to hear!!

Mike

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is fantastic! It's awesome that you got to know your Kenpo instructor well enough to send a student to him even though you made a personal choice to go a a slightly different track. :)

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great job! Kenpo is generally a very effective style for all body sizes. However, don't underrate TKD or TSD for shorter folks. I'm short and TKD taught me a great sidekick that doesn't have to be thrown head level and TSD taught me great body mechanics (IMHO, a good TSD school will excel at this).

OP
JasonASmith

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all the compliments...
This fellow was telling me that the first day he went, he went twice...
Tuesdays and Thursdays, that school has morning and evening classes...
So he drove the 20 miles to go to the morning class, drove home and got some sleep(we are both on the graveyard shift), then got up and drove BACK to go to the evening class...:boing1: How cool is that?

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As far as discounting TKD for short people, don't. A couple of the instructors at my wifes former school were alternates for the Olympic team. And they(they are twins) are only like 5'4. Can't remember what year that was, but it was the year Herb Perez won the gold.

Jeff

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OH, and kewl!! It's always a great feeling when you help someone get involved in the MAs.

Jeff

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well done! There are a lot of people out there who want to try an art and just need a little nudge or information to set them on the path.
:high5:

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now please set a good example by not bolding entire posts... :p

Latest Discussions