It's nice

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's nice to find a M.A. that you can really sink your teeth into.
When I have taken M.A. in the past, there was always those observations:
Hmmm...I like this system, but man, that Muay Thai is good stuff...
Wouldn't it be cool to take Kenpo and Muay Thai at the same time, so I would have the best of both worlds....
Aikido and Tae Kwon Do/Tang Soo Do at the same time? Why not, it makes sense(in some twisted way)
Since I have made the decision to study, and done the research on, Shotokan, these thoughts have left me...
I really am actually...HAPPY... to be studying this art, and I can't see adding anything to complement my studies...
I can/do see myself studying this style until I leave this world.
The only thing that I could conceivably see myself studying in the (distant) future is Iaido....
It's nice to be able to say that after all of these years...
Anyone feel the same way?

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
NEVER. Just when I begin to feel as though I have all my curiousities satisfied... I make the ponderer's mistake of stumbling across something new. This sends me into a whole euphoria of realization and will to practice. At the same time, I want to keep advancing in what I'm currently studying. There just aren't enough hours in the day for it all. And the few times I REALLY packed my schedule thick in attempts to satisfy said curiousities all at once... I found myself having a very thin social life, haha. Just as Yin/yang sugest, one must have appropriate balance. So I've simply accepted the fact that I think too much, and try to leave it at that, haha :asian:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I found that one art that gave me that feeling many years ago, but that did not stop me from still looking and studying other arts so that I could continue to evolve

OP
JasonASmith

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
Never stop learning! That is a great way to be and one that I adhere to passionately.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

Upon reflection, I can see the point made in the past few responses...
I guess that I should have said that I am happy to have settled down with a Martial Art, and I finally have the maturity to follow through to the end...
There is SO much to learn, and I am happy to say that I will learn everything that I possibly can in the time that nature allows for me to study this art...or any other art in the future, for that matter.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally Jason I think you made your point just fine the way you worded it. You have a terrific story to tell. You did your research, settled on an art, found a fantastic instructor in that art that you respected....and then before you began training you were blown away by the gentleman that became your Shodokan sensei and began training with him instead.

Personally I think the Traditional Martial Arts are more complete than perhaps they appear on the surface. Your sensei deserves some serious props to bring Shodokan to you in a way that is so enriching and inspiring. If he is presenting Shodokan so you don't feel you NEED another art, then he is doing his job admirably...and you deserve props yourself for your discipline and hard work. :)

OP
JasonASmith

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
Personally Jason I think you made your point just fine the way you worded it. You have a terrific story to tell. You did your research, settled on an art, found a fantastic instructor in that art that you respected....and then before you began training you were blown away by the gentleman that became your Shodokan sensei and began training with him instead.

Personally I think the Traditional Martial Arts are more complete than perhaps they appear on the surface. Your sensei deserves some serious props to bring Shodokan to you in a way that is so enriching and inspiring. If he is presenting Shodokan so you don't feel you NEED another art, then he is doing his job admirably...and you deserve props yourself for your discipline and hard work. :)

Thank You, Carol...I appreciate the compliments...

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad you found someplace that you are so content with Jason.

I'm hoping the Bujinkan Dojo I'll be starting with will be the same for me.

Jeff

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Jason,

I think you worded your comments very nicely as well. When I refer to never stop learning that is a very important thing for us as humans. Never be content and always seek out more knowledge and skill. Your current art should provide you with a fantastic place to explore and develop your skills. Good luck.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am quite happy to be studying Wado and JJ also. Two separate arts perhaps, but they are closely related and since the principles behind are the same, I think of them as one.

I don`t see myself quitting either to join another club. However it is a good thing I to try something new at camps now and then. Sampling a related (or unrelated) art for a few hours can deepen the understanding in the art wich you already train.

Latest Discussions