I'm a little baffled

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah! Whatever happened to the temple masters who hit students across the back with bamboo canes? Caning is a great way to keep those little snipes in line.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I for one would welcome stern discipline in the dojo. This is not an "after school program", and if they don't like it, they can go elsewhere.

Of course, this is just my opinion, and I am but a very small piece in the puzzle.

Frank

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's funny, when I said something to my wife, last night, about this whole running-the-class thing, she said she'd stand them all at attention for the hour.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have in mind horseback-riding stance as shown by Jackie Chan in The Drunken Master.

Attachments

• $drunken_master_poster2.jpg
    $drunken_master_poster2.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 165

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, all joking aside (which is only possible for me in brief periods of time) this is a martial arts school.

Part of what we are required to teach is discipline. This is likely even part of the reason most parents bring their children to the class.

Discipline is a learned behavior. So is lack of discipline.

If one is to learn discipline then a disciplined environment must be created. We don't have to hit students with canes (no matter how much fun that might be) but we have to introduce an environment where only disciplined bahavior may flourish.

There is nothing wrong, absolutely nothing, with making a student perform exercise or hold a stance or anything reasonable as a penalty for failing to conduct themselves appropriately. To do anything less is to teach a lack of respect and to reinforce a lack of discipline.

Senseis are teachers. We desire to help each pupil achieve their potential. We aren't there to be friends with the students. Friendship is fine and even useful but, if it comes down to it, we need to do what is right to maintain the integrity of what we teach.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Understood and agreed. Danny has, from time to time, provided such responses as pushups; but, alas, it's a little inconsistant. Now, I begin to wonder about my responsibilities, as an older student, in this dojo. Do I attempt to assist in wrangling these little ninjas, whisper loudly at them to keep still. Myself, I do what I'm told to do in class. Most days, though, it seems leading by example is inadequate.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Navarre said:
There is nothing wrong, absolutely nothing, with making a student perform exercise or hold a stance or anything reasonable as a penalty for failing to conduct themselves appropriately. To do anything less is to teach a lack of respect and to reinforce a lack of discipline.

Amen to that. :)

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
Now, I begin to wonder about my responsibilities, as an older student, in this dojo. ... Most days, though, it seems leading by example is inadequate.

Hate to break the news to ya, buddy, but you'll be leading by example as a martial artist for the rest of your life. It's a big gi to fill but you've got the right spirit.

Right now, for your rank, leading by example is all that's appropriate. Although I don't always agree with the belt hierarchy of our system, it is a part of it and should be followed. Stepping out of it, even with the best of intentions, will likely lead to someone thinking it's your ego talking and not your sense of respect.

However, what your sensei says goes. If he sees fit to place you in some position as a mentor or whatever then that's his call and should also be respected.

Either way, always conduct yourself with the utmost integrity and set your best example. More ppl will follow your quiet lead than you think.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Patience and perseverence, then, eh? Very well. Seems good and right.

Domo :asian:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am in on this thread late but my thoughts are that If you where the highest ranking student ( even if it is white) maybe if he cionsidered you mature enough to only follow his teaching plan.
Personaly I have had green belts teach part of my classes but I was there to watch them (It is part of my school that students learn to teach early) and I could correct them after class (if they didn't make a big mistake)
I totaly agree with this

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm no longer baffled. I am locked in. Sensei came by tonight and placed me in charge of the class for tomorrow. He took the time to check with his sensei and I got the ok all around.

I'm a little nervous; but, I have a good plan.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If your sensei wants you up there there's a good reason. Go with it, relax (my usual advice to you), and have a good time.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, Egg, right on! This is a great sign for you and speaks highly of your quality. Please let us know how it goes and your thoughts on everything as things progress.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words and, of course, I'll post something about the experience. Don't expect a gangbusters post, though. The plan is to do nothing more than I already know. I won't be changing the face of American Karate or anything tonight :)

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There ya go Egg :) Just another learning process you're about to undertake..
One thing I offer students.. Keep the fun in the class.. make them want more :)

You'll do your Sensei proud :asian:

~Tess

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was nearly comical. My wife, two kids and I were the only ones there for a while. At the last minute, I had another student show up (such are the days before Christmas ;) ).

I took them through a little extra stretching and a lot of work on basics. I had to rein my kids in once or twice; lol, they were supposed to be the good examples, and took the time to better define chest block to the two young girls.

So, basics, kata and then sparring. We were an odd number; so, the non-related student's Dad joined us. He had several years jj and submission training and we sparred twice, he and I.

All in all, it was fun and relaxed and we all got a good workout.

Thanks for all the words of support from you'uns :) It made a world of difference.

Latest Discussions