OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Maybe ... it was a test.

I hope that's more like 'would've been a test.'

I mean, a seven-year-old's 'holiday presentation' that he's been wetting himself over for a week due to his excitement does, in fact, supercede karate class.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
Yep, guess you blew your shot at Grandmaster.

I'll strive to come to terms with that :) Meanwhile, I'll sleep easier knowing I didn't ruin some little kid's perception of MA.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
Meanwhile, I'll sleep easier knowing I didn't ruin some little kid's perception of MA.

Well, I wouldn't say that. The concern about a lower rank teaching class has some merit only because of the perceived hierarchy built into the system. I think it has to be given validity because the ranking system does indeed exist.

However, I have found myself learning a new perception or concept from white belts more than once. I have no doubt that you would have handled the class admirably, with integrity and respect.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Egg ... if this had been a test from me, you would have passed the test. There are plenty of white belts out there chomping at the bit to "teach" the class. Your humility shone thru and you put your priorities in order. Good job.

:asian:

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Egg ... if this had been a test from me, you would have passed the test. There are plenty of white belts out there chomping at the bit to "teach" the class. Your humility shone thru and you put your priorities in order. Good job.

Shesulsa is right. And EVERYTHING is a test. A+.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Henderson said:

This I believe.

Sensei was still sick for last night's class; but, one of his blacks came in and taught. Sensei mentioned, at least twice, that he was serious about me taking over night before last. I just smiled quietly to myself and, I'm sure, blushed. :)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Henderson said:
Indeed. Every day in your dojo/dojang is a test. You're already testing for your next rank right now.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Indeed. Every day in your dojo/dojang is a test. You're already testing for your next rank right now.

My teacher makes a habit of this quite frequently. "You've been testing for the past 6 months....congratulations", he says.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What do we want to be when we grow up as MA'ers? Some want to be the end all fighter.. some just want that BB.. Seig and I groom our students to be Instructors.. from white belt on.. and that may mean- putting them in front of the class and having them do warmups.. and watching how they interact with others- seeing if they can command.. Granted we are right there when we put them out on their 'own'.. but we allow them them to 'teach' what they know to their fellow students.. Some may need help in projecting confidence, and from white belt on.. this is the best way to start them on the path to being a good teacher when it really is time to cut their apron strings.

Just my thoughts :)

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was flattered and I was honored at the prospect of 'teaching' the class. Differing from you and Seig's approach, though, Tess, I don't think Sensei would've been there to oversee the class. That made me uncomfortable.

What do I want from MA? It's a fit question for this thread. I would love to teach at some point; so, yes, I want that BB, too and, yes, I wanna be 133t fighter, as well. I want the serenetiy that comes with discipline. It's all part of it, I think and, therefore, all one answer.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:
What do we want to be when we grow up as MA'ers? Some want to be the end all fighter.. some just want that BB.. Seig and I groom our students to be Instructors.. from white belt on.. and that may mean- putting them in front of the class and having them do warmups.. and watching how they interact with others- seeing if they can command.. Granted we are right there when we put them out on their 'own'.. but we allow them them to 'teach' what they know to their fellow students.. Some may need help in projecting confidence, and from white belt on.. this is the best way to start them on the path to being a good teacher when it really is time to cut their apron strings.

Just my thoughts :)

Those are some awesome thoughts, Tess. :asian:

Egg, If you show half the responsibility, compassion and humility in your MA at class that you do here on MT, it does not surprise me he would ask. I do wonder if he was testing you, seeing if your priorities were set straight. Wondering if you would sacrifice family for a chance to stroke your ego. Good show that you didn't jump at that chance. Many a lesser person would have.

Lisa

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:
Those are some awesome thoughts, Tess. :asian:

Egg, If you show half the responsibility, compassion and humility in your MA at class that you do here on MT, it does not surprise me he would ask. I do wonder if he was testing you, seeing if your priorities were set straight. Wondering if you would sacrifice family for a chance to stroke your ego. Good show that you didn't jump at that chance. Many a lesser person would have.

Lisa

Lol...just about half is right :) It's much easier to ignore someone here than it is to ignore a 6 year-old running around whipping his mom with his belt before class :)

There's a little discipline issue at class now and then, you know.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
There's a little discipline issue at class now and then, you know.

Oh, I know. It's hard to instill discipline in anyone these days. It's a very different culture.

Dojos are much like public schools. All serious teachers want to do is teach.

Instead we contend with finances, politics, behavioral issues where we can do little, and parents who find us at fault for trying to stop little Timmy from playing with the katana!

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would like to see at least a partial return to classical discipline in my dojo. It doesn't have to be the 20 pushups for talking or anything like that; but, some sort of structure and response for poor dojo behavior.

Danny has said, betimes, that people fail belt tests and it's not guaranteed at any point. It's tough, though, to correct children these days in front of their parents.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've had a few disagreements with parents over how my class is taught. I am always respectful and professional.

Yet I still will continue to stand behind running the class as I see fit. It is a privately taught class.

There are no outside guidelines beyond legal/ethical/moral ones. I will not become a slave to someone's tuition check.

If they do not approve of the way I teach class they will be happier elsewhere. It is more damaging to set a precedent for tolerated issues than it is to lose a single student.

That being said, it's a delicate matter that needs to be handled with a lot of tact, subtlety, and integrity.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
I've had a few disagreements with parents over how my class is taught. I am always respectful and professional.

Yet I still will continue to stand behind running the class as I see fit. It is a privately taught class.

There are no outside guidelines beyond legal/ethical/moral ones. I will not become a slave to someone's tuition check.

If they do not approve of the way I teach class they will be happier elsewhere. It is more damaging to set a precedent for tolerated issues than it is to lose a single student.

That being said, it's a delicate matter that needs to be handled with a lot of tact, subtlety, and integrity.

Agreed; but, there are certainly days when a good lashing would seem to want to do the trick.

Latest Discussions