Am I over reacting?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
At my school, our coach doesn't mind people helping other people. It's the nature of things. We do a lot of sparring and drilling, and there's a lot of opportunity to offer tips or minor corrections that often are the difference between success and failure. Experimentation is also encouraged.

In your situation (and that of some others in the thread), this isn't just about MA. It's about leadership. Ultimately, I can make my case to my boss, but once he decides on a course of action, that's the direction we go. It's the same in a school. There may be things that you will just have to accept about your teacher. Ideosyncracies that, good or bad, are just the way he does things. You may suggest a change... or maybe not. But don't be surprised if he's perfectly happy with how he does things and is unlikely to change. And if you find that you cannot accept those things, you may need to think about a different school.

It's pretty common when people ask about BJJ schools to recommend that they spend some time at the school. We're lucky right now in BJJ that the quality of instruction is pretty high across the board. So, the main difference between schools is personality. Does the personality of the school mesh with your own? That's really the key. The people in the school/dojo/dojang will become a second family, but only if you pick the school that suits you. And the personality of the school is largely dependent upon the personality and style of the owner. Is he too laid back for you? Too strict? Not strict enough? All of these things matter.

So, I guess the bottom line is that, I don't think you're over reacting, but you may be asking the wrong questions. It's not so much whether you're doing the right thing. Your teacher seems to be clear about what he wants you to do. It's a matter of whether you're okay with it, even though it doesn't make sense. Does it matter so much to you that you can't get past it?

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have 12 years experience training and teaching a Japanese martial art. I recently switched to a Chinese art, and I plan on keeping my mouth shut for a long, LONG time, even if I see a fellow student doing something I may perceive as incorrect.

It's unfortunate that the shodans don't feel any need to help out, but it really is up to sensei to make the call, and probably for good reason. As an instructor, I can't begin to tell you how many times I saw a student do a technique or kata wrong, and when I asked, "Where'd you learn that?" they'd say, "_(fill in the name of a kyu ranked student)_ taught me." Then I'm stuck UN-teaching the error.

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
I tend to think differently during official classes vs. informal workouts. BTW, hopefully you are doing both. During classes, follow the instructors lead. Shut up and listen. Do whatever the norm is for a class. During informal workouts (weekends at friends houses, off night workouts, early morning get togethers, whatever) have conversations. "You know in TKD, we did it this way and it feels better to me... What does our instructor say about it? Maybe that would be a good question..."

And a great way to deal with the issue in class is to approach the instructor with your notice and ask if you are doing it wrong. e.g. "I was taught to rotate my base foot during kicking, but I noticed some students not rotating. Which way should I be doing this?" Taking this approach in a strict dojo would be a very easy way for the point to be addressed.

Just my .o2$

Latest Discussions