Illegal Guns

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Came across this article. Apparently they're trying to pass a law to make it a crime for not reporting your guns stolen within 72 hrs. IMO, if I had anything stolen from me, especially a gun, I'd make sure I reported it.

Thoughts?

This year's legislative session is coming down to the wire, with adjournment June 6. But illegal gun trafficking knows no recess, which is why lawmakers must finally adopt legislation this year targeting black-market gun sales.

State law prohibits the selling of guns to felons, youths and people with records of violence. But news and police reports provide ample and frequent evidence that guns are getting into the wrong hands anyway.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Came across this article. Apparently they're trying to pass a law to make it a crime for not reporting your guns stolen within 72 hrs. IMO, if I had anything stolen from me, especially a gun, I'd make sure I reported it.

Thoughts?
The only headache I see with this is that people quite honestly don't always know everything that was stolen for several days after a burglary. A "good" burglary really trashes a residence; it's quite easy for something small to go unnoticed. And it's even worse if one or more of the people in the house aren't particularly aware of how many guns or where they're kept. They might know of the pretty rifle cabinet -- but not the .45 auto Dad kept in the bedroom drawer. And that's before you get into the guy who buys a gun out of fear and never really wanted one, so shoved it to the back of the closet and forgot all about it... or whose wife doesn't know he's got a gun at all... and so on.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only headache I see with this is that people quite honestly don't always know everything that was stolen for several days after a burglary. A "good" burglary really trashes a residence; it's quite easy for something small to go unnoticed. And it's even worse if one or more of the people in the house aren't particularly aware of how many guns or where they're kept. They might know of the pretty rifle cabinet -- but not the .45 auto Dad kept in the bedroom drawer. And that's before you get into the guy who buys a gun out of fear and never really wanted one, so shoved it to the back of the closet and forgot all about it... or whose wife doesn't know he's got a gun at all... and so on.

Thanks for the reply and you bring up some great points! There have been articles, letters to the editor, etc. lately, so this is just one of many. One point that someone brough up was, what happens when you're on vacation? A family could leave on Monday morning, the house can get broken into Monday night and the family isn't coming home until Sunday evening. Is it right that the owner gets arrested because he failed to report it within 72 hrs.? IMO no. How could he if he wasn't home? There may be a clause in there somewhere regarding that, but in any case, I recall that being a concern of gun owners.

Mike