Is having a good teacher enough?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
because he did not have to unlearn bad habits that would hold him back from becoming a real good tennis player
This makes a very good point; most of the people I have trained that had several years of dance had a very hard time adjusting to MA's stances. They had years of different footwork engrained in them and it was a hard adjustment for many of them. Gymnastics not so much.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
IMO it would be very hard to teach a young black belt to develop proper balance for number of reasons.
True. The sad thing is that some teacher would give a black belt to anyone who has a weak stance and balance. In another recent thread, "What a black belt really is," there is some dissent as to the answer. But surely, having a good stance would be a criteria all could agree on.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was think more about children than adults.
Back when I was looking for a school, I noticed very few of the young black belts had good balance.
I understand the reason why schools teach punches and kicks, not standing in stance for a long peiod of time, it is boring and a little painful.
You would lose to many students, it is not practical.

My school teaches stances to the kids. We start as young as 4. Before the COVID lockdowns, we probably had 250 active students. We train balance skills from white belt. It sounds like you just went to a mcdojo.

If you want your kids to learn martial arts, then rather than start them in ballet or gymnastics at 4, and then martial arts at 10; start them in martial arts at 4. Just make sure it's a school that teaches what you want. That way, they've grown up living and breathing the martial art.

You're way over-complicating this. Yes, there are benefits to having other skills before taking martial arts. You learn body coordination. But you should also learn that in martial arts. And if your goal is to learn martial arts, then you should take martial arts.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
there are benefits to having other skills before taking martial arts. You learn body coordination. But you should also learn that in martial arts.
The problem is if you may have developed some bad habit from non-MA training, it's very difficult to unlearn and remove that bad habit in MA training later on.

In the

- gym, the gym trainer wants you to do "muscle group isolation" (freeze your body, only move your arms, or legs).
- MA school, the MA teacher wants you to do "body unification" (body push/pull arm, or leg).

Last edited:

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In my opinion having a good instructor is good enoug for me why because you can learn a lot from them and they can teach you the values and meaning of Ma that they teach also they can pass on the knowledge that they learn onto you and you can pass it down what you learn in class. The most important to be a good instructor is he or she must explained it step by step and by detail when they teach the technique and katas and other requirements that you need for your rank

You dont need to be athletic to advance in rank in martial Arts all you need to do is train hard and practice hard you just need to train and practice your karate requirement over and over that all

I wasn't Athletic when i joined a Martial Arts school i guess i was just determined and eager to learn and get my rank so i train hard practice hard and work hard and i advance in rank and let me tell ya this i have a disability i have learning disabilities im a slow learner but that didnt stop me and i was in black belt club at orange belt and i was already teaching at purple belt so ya and it took me 3 years to get my 2nd brown i started 2013 and i got my 2nd brown 21st of may 2020 and i was happy know im focusing on my 1st degree brown and hopefully to test by December

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my opinion having a good instructor is good enoug for me why because you can learn a lot from them and they can teach you the values and meaning of Ma that they teach also they can pass on the knowledge that they learn onto you and you can pass it down what you learn in class. The most important to be a good instructor is he or she must explained it step by step and by detail when they teach the technique and katas and other requirements that you need for your rank

You dont need to be athletic to advance in rank in martial Arts all you need to do is train hard and practice hard you just need to train and practice your karate requirement over and over that all

I wasn't Athletic when i joined a Martial Arts school i guess i was just determined and eager to learn and get my rank so i train hard practice hard and work hard and i advance in rank and let me tell ya this i have a disability i have learning disabilities im a slow learner but that didnt stop me and i was in black belt club at orange belt and i was already teaching at purple belt so ya and it took me 3 years to get my 2nd brown i started 2013 and i got my 2nd brown 21st of may 2020 and i was happy know im focusing on my 1st degree brown and hopefully to test by December
Martial arts is not just about not copying what your teacher it’s about figuring things out for yourself, figuring what works best for you. And being athletic helps improve your technique. If you have 2 equally skilled karate guys doing all their forms if ones a big fat guy with no conditioning or strength then he’s going look rubbish by his last form because he’s so tired. But an athletic guy will have the fitness and the endurance to keep moving well into his last form

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Congratulations on your advancement. Good job.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

You mentioned this before what’s “black belt club?” Is it something you pay extra for when your a black belt so you get higher up training? If so why were you in there as an orange belt....the second belt...surely that defeats the whole purpose of a black belt club if orange belts are coming in

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Patch-SWAT-Heart.png il_570xN.1495130489_1inl.jpg
You mentioned this before what’s “black belt club?” Is it something you pay extra for when your a black belt so you get higher up training? If so why were you in there as an orange belt....the second belt...surely that defeats the whole purpose of a black belt club if orange belts are coming in

Hi Mr headhunter a black belt club is a program for student all ages whose goal is to be a black Belt in the future to be in it your head or other instructor has to recommend you to be in the black belt club you have to be orange belt to get it and kids the same thing too in kids it can recommend by instructor or parents

No i didn't come as an orange belt i started as white belt then when i get my orange i was recommend by my head instructor to be in the black belt club because my long term goal is to be in a black belt that's why I'm in a black belt club and if your in the black belt club you get half price of everything like 10 %of in the tournament or half price on sparring gear etc

With that im also in swat programs special winning Attitude Team this programs is for the people who want teach you have to be orange or upper rank to joined and you have to be determined to teach and assist instructor we do swat meeting on every 2nd week of wed and our instructor teach us on how to teach other student

Last edited:

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Do your school have a black belt club do you have to pay to be in a black belt club or your instructor recommend you and you dont have to pay nothing or do you have to sign a contract

Attachments

• il_570xN.1495130489_1inl.jpg
    il_570xN.1495130489_1inl.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No i didn't come as an orange belt i started as white belt then when i get my orange i was recommend by my head instructor to be in the black belt club because my long term goal is to be in a black belt that's why I'm in a black belt club and if your in the black belt club you get half price of everything like 10 %of in the tournament or half price on sparring gear etc

Is there any cost to you to be in the club? I don't see why everyone wouldn't make that deal.

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Is there any cost to you to be in the club? I don't see why everyone wouldn't make that deal.

No all you need is to be recommended by your instructor and get half price of everything like sparring gear tournament monthly payment shirt and other stuff i pay only 90 bucks a months caused im in the black belt club and our belt has a black stripe on top rather than a regular belt

Like this1821OREBLK-500x500.jpg

Attachments

• 087bbc_1-1.jpg
    087bbc_1-1.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This makes a very good point; most of the people I have trained that had several years of dance had a very hard time adjusting to MA's stances. They had years of different footwork engrained in them and it was a hard adjustment for many of them. Gymnastics not so much.
but that would only be a problem if the ma stance was the only optimum position to be in.

any stance that allows quick movements is good, many ma stances seem to fall short of that requirement

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
No all you need is to be recommended by your instructor and get half price of everything like sparring gear tournament monthly payment shirt and other stuff i pay only 90 bucks a months caused im in the black belt club and our belt has a black stripe on top rather than a regular belt

Like thisView attachment 22887
Jeez so normal monthly is 180 a month?...wow

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
View attachment 22884 View attachment 22886

Hi Mr headhunter a black belt club is a program for student all ages whose goal is to be a black Belt in the future to be in it your head or other instructor has to recommend you to be in the black belt club you have to be orange belt to get it and kids the same thing too in kids it can recommend by instructor or parents

With that im also in swat programs special winning Attitude Team this programs is for the people who want teach you have to be orange or upper rank to joined and you have to be determined to teach and assist instructor we do swat meeting on every 2nd week of wed and our instructor teach us on how to teach other student
Bit weird they have that as a special club....surely the majority of people who start a system with belt ranks want to get a black betlt

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most karate have black belt club swat team they even have leadership club master club
They really don’t...trust me I’ve been in karate schools all over the world for most of my life and never seen anything like that. You seem to have the assumption that because your club does it then all of them do....which is not the case. The closest I’ve heard is a advanced class for brown and black belts but not a special program to get one.

Out of curiosity. How many karate clubs have you been to to say that they all have this....because for kenpo alone I’ve trained in 10 different schools in 8 countries And have friends in numerous more and Never once seen Or heard any of that. No swat, no leadership club no black belt club. Not saying it doesn’t happen but it’s certainly not the majority Of clubs. Not hating on it. If your club does that then cool but yeah not a norm

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

Like thisView attachment 22887
Also...that belt...I hate those things I think they look ridicolous. I get the need for them as kids so they look different to adults because a junior belt doesn’t know nearly as much as an adult of the same rank but I just think they look silly and unnecessary for adults. Again just my opinion

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
but that would only be a problem if the ma stance was the only optimum position to be in.

any stance that allows quick movements is good, many ma stances seem to fall short of that requirement
Stance work/footwork is the base from which most things are learned. Adaptation comes later.
Dancers just learn to use their feet differently. From my experience it is a hard change.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Stance work/footwork is the base from which most things are learned. Adaptation comes later.
Dancers just learn to use their feet differently. From my experience it is a hard change.
well its clearly the base as your feet are at the bottom, but that doesnt mean any particular stance/ foot work is optimal or there would only be one stance and one set of footwork for all MA and thats clearly not so

maybe you shouldn't try to change them, it could well be better than what your replacing it with >?

Latest Discussions