If You Had Only Two Weeks...

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If You Had Only Two Weeks to prepare someone for a life or death confrontation where they were unarmed, would Krav Maga be your choice of arts to instruct them in? I think it would be a great choice. Thoughts?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No I would give them a plane ticket and tell them to get the hell out of town. Two weeks is not enough time to train for lifw or death.
Terry

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many times, we tend to hear questions on how someone could learn to defend themselves so quick. IMHO, I don't feel that someone should have to train 20 yrs. before they can successfully defend themselves in a situation.

If we look at KM, we'd see that there are many very simple, yet very effective movements, that do not take a huge amount of time to pick up. The basic defenses against a 2 hand choke from the front, rear and side, all use the same initial plucking defense, as its called, to remove the hands. By having the same initial defense, it eliminates the process of having to think about how the attacker is attacking, but instead, just reacting to what is being done.

That being said, yes, I would think that KM would be a good choice.

Mike

OP
J

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No I would give them a plane ticket and tell them to get the hell out of town. Two weeks is not enough time to train for lifw or death.
Terry

No, it isn't, but in my hypothetical that's all they have. BTW, my grandfather got only about 12 hours of H2H before being sent to the Pacific in WW2, so my hypothetical isn't so hypothetic. Still, you make a good point - it takes many months and hundreds of hours to become truly proficient in MA.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How to carry and use a weapon, then run away.

Take weapons out, and it's probably not life or death... but, I'd have them spar, very hard, and teach basic boxing and wrestling, with an emphasis on sparring hard.

Now if the other guy is going to have a weapon, and they are not. Then I'd probably go with the "Where to get life insurance" program ;)

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, it isn't, but in my hypothetical that's all they have. BTW, my grandfather got only about 12 hours of H2H before being sent to the Pacific in WW2, so my hypothetical isn't so hypothetic. Still, you make a good point - it takes many months and hundreds of hours to become truly proficient in MA.

I imagine that is more then a lot do. H2H in military training isn't all that important. I imagine he had a lot more training with a rifle then 12 hours though ;)

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well I have zero experience with Krav Maga, but the Wife swears by it (she was trained in it seminar style during her time at the police academy). However, if I was training a guy for two weeks he would get a lot of time sparing right away with emphasis on protecting and countering to vulnerable targets. I'm talking low kicks to the knees, open hand strikes to head into clinches where he can then tear throat, eyes, mouth, etc. or attack groin or (ideally)throw - you get the idea.

And for the first week he'd run his *** off and the second week he'd tapper off to be rested for the fight.

TCBA_JOE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok, I'm assuming this is someone who has no expirience?
From what I've heard about KM, yes, but along with BJJ and american boxing. Muay might be good, but teahing someone to use their feet properly most likely takes a lot longer than 2 weeks, whereas hands don't. Instead of spending valuable time on foot techniques, I'd teah them how to use their fists, clinch up, take down, get position and ground and pound.

Boxing, because in 2 weeks theyre not gonna most likely get kicks or submissions down well enough to pull them off under pressure. But, we have always grown up being able to hit things with our hands. Focus on natural strengths.

BJJ because once you get in a good position you can do maximum damage to your oppponent while there's little they can do to you.

seal

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What is this, Bloodsport? It sounds like this question is asking about self-defense after two weeks of training. I'd take whatever art enforces pre- and post-conflict stages. Self-defense is not rocket science. The best self-defense is to run and call for help, provided you employ a tactic that facilitates this.

TCBA_JOE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If someone has 2 weeks to prepare for a "conflict", it falls under "fight"; it's no longer a "violent assualt." In a life or death scenario where they have 2 weeks to preapre, they should know how to take out their opponent as
violently as possible, cause if they don't they will DIE.

Now, i know this scenario is hypothetical. (if it was real, I'd suggest buying a plane ticket). But if they have the opportunity to prepare, the time to do so, the possibility of dying, they need violence to take out their opponent.

The question implies a for-knowledge of the impending event.

digitalronin

Green Belt
Reaction score
This situation is not hypothetical. In california Security guards are often faced with this, since they are only required to pass a background check and pass a written exam before they may find themselves in a potentially hostile work area. There is no hand 2 hand training, unless that person receives it outside the job or through work experience dealing with hostile individuals.

Cops have training in the academy but even they do not put in the equivelent amount of time needed to complete a blackbelt. Both professions also have limitations on what level of force you may use against the other person.

TCBA_JOE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This situation is not hypothetical. In california Security guards are often faced with this, since they are only required to pass a background check and pass a written exam before they may find themselves in a potentially hostile work area. There is no hand 2 hand training, unless that person receives it outside the job or through work experience dealing with hostile individuals.

Cops have training in the academy but even they do not put in the equivelent amount of time needed to complete a blackbelt. Both professions also have limitations on what level of force you may use against the other person.
What I meant by hypothetical, was from the context of the question, it implied that you needed to train someone because in 2 weeks they knew they would be having to fight for their lives.

I guess the answer lies in the question. Is this a fight that they have 2 weeks to prepare for? Or Do you have only 2 weeks to teach them somethign they MIGHT have to use because they only have 2 weeks before starting a job, etc... (In which case you would most likely be able to continue training them off hours and such) the context would lend itself to a fight. That's also why I commented that it was a hypothetical situation. http://martialtalk.com/forum/member.php?u=5725

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
The problem with having only two weeks is how much time you can spend on each technique. IMO, I would just practise good ole boxing. Let me keep my feet on the ground and use them for moving and leave the attacking/defending to my hands. Boxing is simpler in number of techniques, but still effective. Better to not be a jack of all trades and to at least master some.

Latest Discussions