If you could learn one new system what would it be

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So hey now kenpo is useless is it? Because That ain’t what you said in your dm to me

Relativism, my dude. For certain people, Kenpo is great. For the real fighters, the only things that matter are boxing, kickboxing, Muay Thai, wrestling, and muscles.

But of course, for certain people, Kenpo is great because it's either Kenpo or sitting at home eating doritos while rewatching Kung Fu Panda.

OP
K

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
Relativism, my dude. For certain people, Kenpo is great. For the real fighters, the only things that matter are boxing, kickboxing, Muay Thai, wrestling, and muscles.

But of course, for certain people, Kenpo is great because it's either Kenpo or sitting at home eating doritos while rewatching Kung Fu Panda.

so tell me you actually training yet or still just sitting around playing final fantasy or what ever other nonsense game is meant to be cool these days and talking nonsense online

Last edited:
OP
K

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
My base style is Olympic Lifting. I wanna learn boxing.

I know the OP said we shouldn't turn this into a style war, but the reality is that boxing, kickboxing, and Muay Thai beats useless Taekwondo and Kenpo. It's the same thing with grappling. Once you become a good wrestler, your only weakness will be against cowardly submission fighters who rely on cheap tricks because they don't have the actual strength to win fights.
Your style is Olympic lifting huh? Cool what Olympics have you been in?

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great thread idea @KOKarate :)

Would actually love to train in most of the main varieties of karate styles. There's something I've noticed in each of them that have value that I really want explore. I love the different emphasis and philosophy in each.

Never been that interested in the grappling arts, but like you KOKarate I also would love to get more training in TKD. I trained for a month in it and really enjoyed it.

Oh and Tang Soo Do as well! Find it fascinating

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
so tell me you actually training yet or still just sitting around playing final fantasy or what ever other nonsense game is meant to be cool these days and talking nonsense online

Patience, grasshopper. The boxing gym here isn't open yet until the mask rule gets lifted.

Tell me, grasshopper, are you honestly looking forward to the day you'd be forced to grab a new hobby? Because that's what'll happen after you witness my acquired boxing skills.

OP
K

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
Patience, grasshopper. The boxing gym here isn't open yet until the mask rule gets lifted.

Tell me, grasshopper, are you honestly looking forward to the day you'd be forced to grab a new hobby? Because that's what'll happen after you witness my acquired boxing skills.
Oh my god lol why on earth would I “grab a new hobby” because of your nonexistent hypothetical skills

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Oh my god lol why on earth would I “grab a new hobby” because of your nonexistent hypothetical skills

Because my fighting skills would be so amazing you'd "rage-quit" due to your creaking joints after years of not doing squats.

OP
K

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
Because my fighting skills would be so amazing you'd "rage-quit" due to your creaking joints after years of not doing squats.
“Rage quit” lol I’ve never heard that phrase used by anyone over the age of 15 before and no I’m not going to quit something I’ve done my entire life because some random person takes a boxing class. Like I said come back when you’ve actually done something to prove us wrong until then I’m done with your delusions goodbye and good luck

Last edited:

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
“Rage quit” lol I’ve never heard that phrase used by anyone over the age of 15 before and no I’m not going to quit something I’ve done my entire life because some random person takes a boxing class. Like I said come back when you’ve actually done something to prove us wrong until then I’m done with your delusions goodbye and good luck

You edited this and added "good luck". Thanks man.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My base style is Olympic Lifting. I wanna learn boxing.

I know the OP said we shouldn't turn this into a style war, but the reality is that boxing, kickboxing, and Muay Thai beats useless Taekwondo and Kenpo. It's the same thing with grappling. Once you become a good wrestler, your only weakness will be against cowardly submission fighters who rely on cheap tricks because they don't have the actual strength to win fights.
That is some strange humor right there.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is for people who are established in a base style. What styles would you like to learn that you haven’t already.

personally as a Kenpo/Muay Thai guy I’d love to try Taekwondo.

I wouldn’t be in it for the rank progression but I’ve always been known as a kicker which for American Kenpo is rare because it’s not really a kicking system, there are kicks in it but not the big ones like in Taekwondo but I’ve always had decent high kicks and side kicks and I think Taekwondo would be a good supplement for me just to get some more improvement. Maybe after this pandemic bs has all cleared up and more gyms are open again then I’ll look into it or if we go to lockdown again my focus will be working on my kicking.

don’t want this to turn into a style war just curious of what people would like to learn if they do want to
Tops in my list right now are BJJ (have a smattering of experience) and boxing (no experience except bits from an instructor who was also a former boxer). The most likely addition for me, though, is Judo (first art I did any serious work in, many years ago), as there's a club nearby (assuming it survives 2020) that has per-visit payment and will probably be a good fit for my needs and ability to pay.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if youve picked wisely in the first place then why would you need or want,another one??

its like having to two frying pans, you know just incase
Different systems have different focuses. And different instructors have different approaches.

And new sparring partners!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't want to learn a new system. You want to develop another door guarding skill.

If this skill is what you want to develop. Which style does this come from? Do you care?

chain-punch.gif
You don't want to learn a new system. I do.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You. Are. Hilarious.

Latest Discussions