If You Could Add To Your Martial Art

OP
James Kovacich

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by sweeper
but they have teken diffrent paths of evolution.

Yes definately differant paths, but the paths that was right for their individual ultimate reality of combat.

M

MountainSage

I was reading in a book about Chinese fast wrestling and the author stated(I'm paraphrasing), for an empty hand martial art to be complete it must include punching, kicking, joint locks, and grappling. There was no reference to which arts fit this description, just that these elements were necessary. My primary art is TKD and I add Chinese fast wrestling, hapkido, and tumbling to improve my art.

Mountain Sage

OP
James Kovacich

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by MountainSage
I was reading in a book about Chinese fast wrestling and the author stated(I'm paraphrasing), for an empty hand martial art to be complete it must include punching, kicking, joint locks, and grappling. There was no reference to which arts fit this description, just that these elements were necessary. My primary art is TKD and I add Chinese fast wrestling, hapkido, and tumbling to improve my art.

Mountain Sage

So how did you come to the conclusion that those arts were the right ones for you?

And how do you go about effectively learning them?

OP
James Kovacich

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was exposed to Judo before I was ready for the groundwork. And after the UFC hit I accepted the fact that the ground was an important range to learn.

I happen to be in a martial art store and I received a flyer for a leglock seminar. From that seminar it led to training BJJ from the same instructor.

M

MountainSage

Akja,
I had been a scholastic and freestyle wrestler in my Jr. High and High School days so fast wrestling seemed like a great idea. I believe that any wrestler would love the idea of being able to kick and punch while wrestling. I work on tumbling because I am a large man and gravity does work, so I needed to practice falling and rolling in a controlled manner. Plus to see a large person with grace really shocks people. I tend to gravitate to the chinese art when possible because I like the way the styles train.

Mountain Sage

OP
James Kovacich

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Akja,
I had been a scholastic and freestyle wrestler in my Jr. High and High School days so fast wrestling seemed like a great idea. I believe that any wrestler would love the idea of being able to kick and punch while wrestling. I work on tumbling because I am a large man and gravity does work, so I needed to practice falling and rolling in a controlled manner. Plus to see a large person with grace really shocks people. I tend to gravitate to the chinese art when possible because I like the way the styles train.

Mountain Sage

But where are you getting the material from. Are you just using the Chinese Fast Wrestling name? Thats what I mean. I call my art Kempo Jujitsu but its not the Kempo that you will find in a strip mall. I just want to know where you draw from?

I recognize that most of America has exposure in wrestling and it is a great benefit to mix it with the martial arts.

M

MountainSage

Akja,
I saw San shou fighting on ESPN one night and liked the concept. Later I found a book by Matt Furey that talked about Shuai chiao (Chinese wrestling) the art side and looked it up on the net. Found some websites and got interested, bought a couple of videos and a book about San Shou(fast fighting) the sport side. The style just seem to gel in my mind and be designed for my body type. To directly answer your question, there is an art called Shuai Chiao and the sport of San Shou, Chinese Fast Wrestling. Hope that answers the question.

Mountain Sage

OP
James Kovacich

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
In this digital age, all the info. that we want is just one click away. Its nothing like the old days when we had to wait for the next class. I started as a kid going to the library. Bruce Tegner had written several books on several arts. Today I still have 2 of his books. I aso have a DVD on order from my Sensei. Isn't the digital age great?

M

MountainSage

If the the information gain is used properly and with caution, yes computer, dvd, tape are great. If you without control it's no good.

Mountain Sage

OP
James Kovacich

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
If the the information gain is used properly and with caution, yes computer, dvd, tape are great. If you without control it's no good.

Mountain Sage

"Control" is under "your" control.

If that makes sense to you.

Latest Discussions