parameters of an art/style/system

T

twinkletoes

This is a spin off from another thread, but it's more general than the specific topic we were discussing there.

A lot of people make reference to the idea of "just pursuing one art," especially since many people say that it will take a lifetime just to understand or be able to apply that one art.

I'd like opinions from those of you who feel that one art is plenty (I'm not knocking that, by the way. I know lots of great martial artists who excel at their single discipline. It's just a viewpoint that I'm not personally familiar with, and that's why I'm asking).

So the question is, what can you add to your training that does not "disturb" that? For example,

Can you go to a seminar with an instructor...

...from another school?

...from another style?

Can you add to your training...

...a game from another style/school?

...a drill from another style/school?

...a kata from another system? another art?

...a principle from another system/art?

...terminology from another system/art?

...a strike from another system/art?

...a lock from another system/art?

I'm totally unclear on where the lines are. Can someone with this view illucidate it for me?

~TT

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another good question! Before I answer, I just want to say, that my answers are solely based on WHAT I WOULD DO!!!! I do not want to speak for others!

Some Inst. look down upon crosstraining, while others are very open to it. I see nothing wrong with going to a seminar, learning a new tech. idea, principle, lock, kick, etc, etc, etc. However, I would only do this to improve my own knowledge. Now, before I start to sound selfish about not wanting to share the knowledge with others, there are a few things to keep in mind.

Some Inst. only teach certain things in their school. I'm going to give an example of a school that I was at. It was a Kenpo school that also offered Arnis. The Arnis was often introduced into a class, either by doing a lock flow or a stick/knife disarm, etc. This was fine of course, because it was part of the material that was taught at the school. There was a few students at the school however, that had a great interest in George Dillman. They would go on a regular basis to his seminars and to train with Inst. a short distance away. One student would regularly do the things that he learned on students at the Kenpo school! Now, IMO this is wrong, for a few reasons.

1- This art was not taught at the original school.

2- In the event that he hurt someone, there is a chance that the injured student could sue, due to the fact that it was not something that was taught at the school.

3-- How well did this student really understand the material?

4- If he KO'd someone, is he going to know how to revive them?

5- When dealing with pressure points, it often involves disrupting the flow of energy through the other persons body. Now, does the person doing the tech. know about any medical conditions the "dummy" has? What if he caused him to have a heart attack?

SO, back to the question---Before teaching ANYTHING new at the school, especially if it is not your school, get the approval of the head Inst FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dont take it upon yourself to add to the material. A game is one thing, but a tech. that maybe you yourself dont have that good of an understanding of, might lead to some very serious trouble!

Mike

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by twinkletoes
This is a spin off from another thread, but it's more general than the specific topic we were discussing there.

A lot of people make reference to the idea of "just pursuing one art," especially since many people say that it will take a lifetime just to understand or be able to apply that one art.

I'd like opinions from those of you who feel that one art is plenty (I'm not knocking that, by the way. I know lots of great martial artists who excel at their single discipline. It's just a viewpoint that I'm not personally familiar with, and that's why I'm asking).

So the question is, what can you add to your training that does not "disturb" that? For example,

Can you go to a seminar with an instructor...

...from another school?

...from another style?

Can you add to your training...

...a game from another style/school?

...a drill from another style/school?

...a kata from another system? another art?

...a principle from another system/art?

...terminology from another system/art?

...a strike from another system/art?

...a lock from another system/art?

I'm totally unclear on where the lines are. Can someone with this view illucidate it for me?

~TT

This should be a good one. Any way a quick comment till I can spend a little more time online later today.

I once started a thread "if you could add to you art" and it didn't get much response but I will tell you that no matter what anyone says about why they "can't" or "won't."

Its already been done by our by all of martial forefathers all through time my brother!

TT, I think a great deal of the we think a like!

:asian:

OP
T

twinkletoes

Originally posted by akja
I think a great deal of the we think a like!

Indeed. :) Great minds, and all that....

~TT

OP
S

sercuerdasfigther

i tnink there is nothing wrong with training just one art, but you should try to see other arts so you know what kind of things to expect from different stlyist

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Originally posted by sercuerdasfigther
i tnink there is nothing wrong with training just one art, but you should try to see other arts so you know what kind of things to expect from different stlyist

Very true!!!:D

Mike