Would You Quit Your Art?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been wondering this for a while, so I thought I would ask you guys. I've heard lots of people say, "If I trained this hard and lost I would quit and start studying your art". My question is, is there something that would make you quit your art? If you were beaten by another MAist would you quit or start studying their system?

I'm of the opinion that there is a point that if what your studying just doesn't work you should realize and move on, but why would you assume that what you know is bad and not just that you need to work harder? If someone walked in to my school and totally humiliated me, I would train harder and more often, but I wouldn't quit what I'm doing to study something else.

Thoughts?

7sm

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's what happened with one of my friends. He was into Goju Ryu (black belt). He met some martial artists and they invited him to work out with them. In several sparring matches, he got his butt handed to him on a silver platter. He then immediately switched over to Shaolin Kempo. He worked his way through and got a black belt in that too.

- Ceicei

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really do not think so.

I might train in both arts, and combine the benefits of both.

Then again, I could change my mind in the future :idunno:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I realised that all my training was for nothing and that I really had not learned what a white or beginner belt level in other systems had, then I would consider changing.
If my knowledge was based on a system that I found my instructor really had not studied and I found out he was just makeing up all the stuff he taught me I would change.
Luckily I do not have these problems but I have know those that did have them

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you get beat it's more often then not your fault and not the art. Most MAists don't have the discipline to make their arts work in most sd situations.

C

clapping_tiger

upnorthkyosa said:
If you get beat it's more often then not your fault and not the art. Most MAists don't have the discipline to make their arts work in most sd situations.
I agree to a certian extent. I think for the most part it would be the individuals fault he lost, or just the fact that the other person may have trained harder. I don't really think it would be a question of martial arts style. I think I it would be a wake up call to for me to train a little harder, and a little more seriously. But I don't think I would quit.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do think that there are certain situations that may be relative of the system or style, but most would be because of the actual person fighting. I just have heard so many people say stuff like that, it doesn't make sense to me. If your willing to change, why are you wasting your time studying that system anyways? Shouldn't you still be searching for the system that fits you more perfectly?

7sm

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Regarding my friend I mentioned earlier in this thread who studied Goju Ryu and then switched over to Shaolin Kempo, I think he was already ready for a change anyway. He had a black belt in his first style. I think the sparring matches was simply the motivator for him to look for something different to add on to his knowledge and he went through the process to get his second black belt. I guess you can't really technically say he quit.

If he had switched over midway through Goju Ryu rather than when he reached black belt rank, then it would be because of training issues.

I don't see a problem with black belts switching over to other styles, or even taking up an additional style (cross-training).

- Ceicei

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
I don't see a problem with black belts switching over to other styles, or even taking up an additional style (cross-training).
I can understand that with some systems, but alot of extremely complex systems only truly begin at black belt level. Take my art for example, at black belt I only really begin learning "true" kung fu. One of our instructors was a 2nd black belt in a type of karate and was basically at the end of what he was going to learn technique wise, for him I can understand him looking for another system. He walked into two schools before ours and the first sparring match with the instructor took them out pretty effortlessly. For him, finding a school where he could still learn was a challenge. Not impossible however, just something he had to seek out.

7sm

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
If you get beat it's more often then not your fault and not the art.

I agree--I might be more likely to adjust my training first.

But I can imagine studying an art and eventually becoming convinced it wasn't as practical as another art and considering switching. Of course, I train for enjoyment more than for self-defense and I enjoy what I do.

G

Galvatron

I have before, and I paid for it dearly when I started back. Putting on a black belt after 6 years out and jumping back into class makes for a rough time.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Would I quit?? I think the first thing I'd do is sit down and evaluate a few things. What went wrong with my training? I'd look at myself as far as how I'd been training. What had I got out of the training? Is it me or the art?

Just because someone is wearing a BB around their waist does NOT make you a superman. You can still get your butt kicked. Of course, one would think that it'd give you the edge.

If the art wasnt giving me what I wanted, then yeah, I'd probably start to look somewhere else. I would probably start to crosstrain, which of course, I'm already doing.

Basically, you need to really look at what YOU want out of the art. Do you want SD or do you want an activity to do after work? Do you really want to know how to fight, and not necessarily in the cage, I'm talking about the street? Or do you want to just get the tradition, which of course is fine too.

Mike

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Over the years, I have focused on four arts. I started taking TKD when I was in elementary school. The instructor I was under was my football coach. He liked a player that would charge the biggest guy on the field, get drageed for thirty yards, never let go, get up and do it again. (That was me). So he Mr. Smith (yes, his real name) started teaching me TKD as he learned it. It was not a sport. I stayed with him as my primary instructor from 1980 to 1992. During this time I did a stint in the military and joined the local TKD school, after about 6 months, I got bored with them and started training with my best friend and his instructor in Shorin-Ryu. I worked my way up to shodan. In 1991, I started traveling extensively and worked out wherever with whomever I could, regardless of art. I started picking up whatever I found usefull. In 1992 I began Jiu-Jitsu and American Kenpo. I went as far as 1st black in Jiu-Jitsu, felt I had a decent base and focused solely on Kenpo. I have been active in Kenpo for 14 years now and learn something more every day. I can't see myself leaving Kenpo ever.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good question, 7*. I think I may have said something like this when we were arguing over knife stuff awhile ago! :uhyeah:

I say that it depends. If my art was pretty much proven to be ineffective or illigetimate, then yes, I would quit and train in something else.

Most legitimate styles won't be rendered 'useless' however. So I would probably just crosstrain.

For me, if I ran into something that my art has no counter attack too, I would definatily cross train to at least learn how to counter. If I found something that just blew my mind, and that is proven to be many levels above what I am doing, then I'd have to at least cross train in it.

I have been able to stick to my core arts which at this time are Modern Arnis and Balintawak. But, I have been ranked in other styles, and I have cross trained in a host of other styles just to be able to learn and understand what they do.

PAUL
:asian:

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
PAUL said:
Good question, 7*. I think I may have said something like this when we were arguing over knife stuff awhile ago! :uhyeah:
Hah, yeah I think I do remember that now, sorry wasn't meaning to "pick you out". It really started after me the other day when one of my sanshou training partners said it. He said, "If after all this iron body and training, I get my *** kicked, I will quit!". It was mostly in jest, but it started me thinking.

I know no one thinks that there is something out there that would just crush their present training, but I wonder if I would have the maturity to see it if it happened, and to not neccessarily switch but start training in it as well.

7sm

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
I really do not think so.

I might train in both arts, and combine the benefits of both.

Then again, I could change my mind in the future :idunno:
I have given some thought to this.

I train in Modern Arnis and Balintawak. Both are Filipino MArtial Arts.

I know people in each art that can just control the fight with me. The number is few, yet I know them. I know those that could hit me on any given day and I could hit them. This number is much larger.

Now given that this is in the arts I study. I would have to figure that there are others out there in other arts that can do the same.

The Point I am trying to make, is no I would not change my art. I enjoy training in them today just for the pure joy of it.

:asian:

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I owe TKD for getting me into the arts again...whilst studying TKD, I picked up Kenpo. and after witnessing a testing debacle at the TKD school...I distanced myself from them as far as I could...and now study Kenpo with a bit of Silat thrown in...wouldn't have it any other way.

In my opinion you cant really quit studying an art. Once you start it is a lifelong study even if you stop going to classes. It will always be a part of you. Then again, this is just my opinion.

Latest Discussions