If BJJ is so effective, why isn't everybody doing it?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Getting up safely from the ground is absolutely an important part of BJJ. It’s generally the second thing I teach new students. (The first being how to fall safely.)

Which by the way a stack guard pass would do a bit safer. Side control, knee ride and stand. Because the cant regrapple or punch you in the nuts.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It depends who's teaching. I've seen @Tony Dismukes teach it. Hell, he helped me out with my technical get up while I was there.
It doesn’t depend who’s teaching it. Saying this suggests that it’s common for a BJJ school to not teach it. Is this what you’re saying?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn’t depend who’s teaching it. Saying this suggests that it’s common for a BJJ school to not teach it. Is this what you’re saying?
No. I'm saying it's possible some don't. I've only seen a few teach, and mostly only for brief periods, so I can't really speak to what's common.

But, as with most anything, the person who's teaching it determines what they will teach. So, yeah, it probably does depend who's teaching. I don't know if there would be a good reason not to teach it - maybe not so useful in some competition-only strategies?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
No. I'm saying it's possible some don't. I've only seen a few teach, and mostly only for brief periods, so I can't really speak to what's common.

But, as with most anything, the person who's teaching it determines what they will teach. So, yeah, it probably does depend who's teaching. I don't know if there would be a good reason not to teach it - maybe not so useful in some competition-only strategies?
Glad we cleared that up. Seemwd for a minute you were making an assertion based on actual experience.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I did. I said Tony teaches it, based on my experience with Tony.
Lol... Okay. What you said is that it depends on who is teaching it. I don't think that is true. Say someone asks whether an armbar is taught in BJJ and you say, "depends on who is teaching it. I know bob teaches an armbar." While the second clause may be a fact, the first is very misleading. to someone who doesnt know that your experience in BJJ is extremely limited, would suggest that BJJ schools exist where an armbar is not taught.

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If you don't figure out how to "get back up" from various positions in BJJ to a combat ready stance then you are going to get smashed during rolling.... so I would think you learn it, regardless of whether the instructor says "ok guys, this is how you get back up" or not. Much like break falling; you get thrown, you start paying attention to how you are falling, adjust, and eventually you have basically taught yourself to breakfall.
Is it better for a school / instructor to address it directly? Definitely, but if they don't, you will learn it eventually out of necessity and consequence.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you don't figure out how to "get back up" from various positions in BJJ to a combat ready stance then you are going to get smashed during rolling....
This guy has no intention to get back up.

daily_gifdump_470_15.gif

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

daily_gifdump_470_15.gif
That guy was playing a specific tactic in that particular match to take advantage of a specific competitive ruleset. I guarantee he knows how to standup properly in a fight when he wants to.

BTW - even in BJJ circles that particular performance was greeted by amusement. It's not exactly typical even among those BJJ practitioners who train only for sport and specialize in pulling guard.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

daily_gifdump_470_15.gif
Do you think this video demonstrates the entirity of this guy's training? I don't . simply put, It's likely he knows/has trained a technical stand up AND it isn't a part of his strategy for this match.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you think this video demonstrates the entirity of this guy's training? I don't . simply put, It's likely he knows/has trained a technical stand up AND it isn't a part of his strategy for this match.
When striking is not allowed in the sport, problems will appear. Sometime we may forget that "sport" is only the path. Combat is the true goal.

This guy assumes his opponent will not kick at his head.

daily_gifdump_470_15.gif

This guy assumes his opponent will not punch at his head.

wrestling-posture.jpg

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The movement pattern of the technical standup is very important even for those who train exclusively sport BJJ with an emphasis on the bottom game. What may vary is the emphasis on the tactical priority of getting up and the amount of practice devoted to getting up with someone on top trying to hit you.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When striking is not allowed in the sport, problems will appear. Sometime we may forget that "sport" is only the path. Combat is the true goal.

This guy assumes his opponent will not kick at his head.

daily_gifdump_470_15.gif

This guy assumes his opponent will not punch at his head.

wrestling-posture.jpg
What if combat isnt the true goal? What if I want to be an Olympic boxer, and dont care about combat? Or my goal is helping my college wrestling team win our conference? Why should I care about what would be effective outside of the sport, any more than a NBA player cares how he can use his basketball prowess off the court?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What if combat isnt the true goal?
Even if combat may not be my goal, I still don't want myself to look like a fool.

Many years ago, one day when I taught "hip throw",

- I used my left hand to wrap my opponent's right arm.
- I used my right arm to wrap his waist.
- He used left hand to punch on my head.

Since then, I no longer use "waist wrap hip throw". I only use "under/over hook hip throw". This way my opponent's free hand can no longer be able to hit me.

IMO, to control my opponent's free arm so he cannot punch me is important even if the sport does not allow punch.

hip-throw.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 39746

daily_gifdump_470_15.gif

Why does somone need to "this is my ultimate/true form" meme this? I was also thinking of a animal simile to use but i couldn't find one. im onto squid or fish.

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
What if combat isnt the true goal? What if I want to be an Olympic boxer, and dont care about combat? Or my goal is helping my college wrestling team win our conference? Why should I care about what would be effective outside of the sport, any more than a NBA player cares how he can use his basketball prowess off the court?
So, I think people should do the martial art that they enjoy the most and do it in the way that best matches their goals. I really enjoy martial arts of most every sort. The most fun I've had in martial arts was probably in sport fencing, which is frequently derided as "not a martial art" on forums.

All that being said, since the very foundation of this thread is predicated on the idea that BJJ is teh Deadliest and there's no reason to train in striking arts and there's been at least implied criticism of TMA's because they just aren't effective in a "real fight" I think KFW is making a very reasonable point.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here’s a funny thing, and I’m certainly not calling you out nor implying that you do this, but...

It should be obvious that this isn’t the only thing this guy does. It should be obvious that this guy doesn’t do this the entire night, night after night in the dojo. Yet when people see something we think is stupid in a karate, TKD, etc. video, they scream McDojo and say that school or better yet that entire style doesn’t know how to fight. I always find that interesting. I guess this guy gets an automatic pass because he’s BJJ. If he was a striker, there’s no doubt a few fanboys here would be screaming McDojo.

Just saying.

Latest Discussions