How to Choke out your Attacker using BJJ: 3 simple steps!

Matt Chua

White Belt
Reaction score
How did you experience the 3 step method of SLIP / LOCK / SQUEEZE as a way of self defense?

What are some of challenges in using this method?

What are some possible solutions?

What are some way to apply this in other areas of human life?

Post your comments, and reply to your course mates' comments in a spirit of constructive conversation, camaraderie and sincerity.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You need to move into your opponent's "back door" (behind his back) through his "side door" (outside of his arms) while control his arm/arms.

For example, the "reverse neck choke".

- You have right leg forward. Your opponent has left leg forward (mirro stance).
- You use right leading hand to grab on his left leading wrist.
- You use left hand to grab his left elbow (reverse arm holding).
- Your right hand wrap around his neck.

Last edited:

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
"How did you experience the 3 step method of SLIP / LOCK / SQUEEZE as a way of self defense?"
Can't say I've every experienced it as stated.
First time I've heard of a 3 step method for self defense and specifically this 3 step method.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been training BJJ for about 20 years and teaching it for about 8. First I've come across this particular formulation. Just from reading the words I can see it as a description for the final steps of the process of sinking in and finishing certain chokes. Not sure how it would be helpful or meaningful as a general "way of self defense." Care to elaborate?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Honestly I've tried reading this 5 times I have no idea what you are on about

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure OP is a student (of something?), and he had to watch a vudeo of self-defense then engage in an online discussion. And he wants to use our statements for his discussion. Except he didnt post the video...

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
How did you experience the 3 step method of SLIP / LOCK / SQUEEZE as a way of self defense?

What are some of challenges in using this method?

What are some way to apply this in other areas of human life?

Post your comments, and reply to your course mates' comments in a spirit of constructive conversation, camaraderie and sincerity.

Ok, I'll bite on this if it is sincere.

1) Challenges: If someone is better at controlling the angles and distance you won't be able to get to their rear to choke them out. Also, you need to spend a lot of time training on slipping punches, both from a boxer who knows how to throw proper punches and also against a blitzkrieg attack of straights and wide haymakers that a violent "untrained" attacker can do, but who has a lot of actual fighting experience.

2) Solutions: Needing some more tools in your tool box of other options, this could be using your own striking to create the angles and distance you want to do that or getting so good at defensive movement and closing gaps that you can also enter without eating punches.

3) Areas of human life: One of the things my instructor has always taught us was that ANY technique/concept should be able to work in all situations. For us, our techniques don't only have a physical application, but a mental component and an emotional component to them. How can I use slip/lock/squeeze in everyday life? Just a simple idea is an argument. How do you slip? On an emotional level, you don't respond to their anger with your own anger, you retain your composure. On a mental level, you are avoiding their attack. YOU'RE AN IDIOT!!! I know, I really can be dense sometimes, you seem really angry with me right now, can you let me know what I've done? Or if a customer is upset, agreeing with them. I can see that you're really upset right now, I would be upset also, what can we do to make this right? You're lock/squeeze application is ultimately "locking down" and ending the argument. How do you come to a peaceable solution? If you only think of lock/squeeze in terms of sporting application, then you have "to win" the argument and you will keep it going by pushing your own point of view.