If a colleague says they think their life is in danger...

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
It does some very useful things.

• It makes future claims of self defense a lot more credible
  • It creates a paper trail
  • It forces the police to take notice and file reports even when they'd rather not bother
  • Violations establish a pattern of behavior that is very useful in Court

What it doesn't do is stop bullets or fists

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Instincts...can tell you alot.

When someone threatens you or you feel threaten....NO laws were ever broken...therefore...the POLICE and our LAWS...cannot help you.

Always trust your instincts....REACT wisely...

If YOUR LIFE IS IN DANGER...hide or leave....The laws says everyone is innosences till they do something bad.

Off course than it is TOO LATE....Bad guys always win here!!!

Aloha

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, Instincts...can tell you alot.

When someone threatens you or you feel threaten....NO laws were ever broken...therefore...the POLICE and our LAWS...cannot help you.

Always trust your instincts....REACT wisely...

If YOUR LIFE IS IN DANGER...hide or leave....The laws says everyone is innosences till they do something bad.

Off course than it is TOO LATE....Bad guys always win here!!!

Aloha
Incorrect. In many states, it is indeed illegal to threaten someone. The exact charge would vary by circumstances (for example, whether the threat was communicated by phone or in person or involved a weapon).

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
It does some very useful things.

• It makes future claims of self defense a lot more credible
  • It creates a paper trail
  • It forces the police to take notice and file reports even when they'd rather not bother
  • Violations establish a pattern of behavior that is very useful in Court

What it doesn't do is stop bullets or fists
Absolutely.......it's a tool, and like all tools, it's important to understand what it does do, and more importantly, what it won't do.

It's important for anyone getting one to realize it does NOT, by itself, protect them from violence.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Touche!

Nothing says 'failed to properly prepare' like bringing a fist to a gunfight......except maybe bringing an Order of Protection to a gunfight.

May as well write the damn things on toilet paper, at least then they would be useful.
lori

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would try to get her/him to go to the cops, that failing, would try to make sure they were trained and armed if possible, but ultimately it is up to the person that is under threat as well we can not be there always where they are. If they will not take steps to safeguard themselves there is provably a very limited amount of things you can do .

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
An old friend of mine had a problem with an ex so I had her move in with me, simple as that. She's the type of girl who attracts the wrong type of guy always and that was one of the cases where I had to stand up for her.

Wow, good thing for her she wasn't fat, so you were willing to do that for her... LOL.

Credible threats are always difficult... I believe it was in "gift of fear" that he says that if someone actually MAKES a threat, then chances are the threat is the action. I dont really agree with that, but It does happen. I think the important thing is: If someone mentions something like that, get them to dialog so you can a) convince them they arent being silly so they take themselves seriously, and b) assess how serious the threat may be, so you can get whatever assistance is neccessary. I think it's important tho, not to dismiss it out of hand with a "oh Im sure it will be ok" or somesuch because you are uncomfortable with the subject... it does everyone a disservice IMHO.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would try to get her/him to go to the cops, that failing, would try to make sure they were trained and armed if possible, but ultimately it is up to the person that is under threat as well we can not be there always where they are. If they will not take steps to safeguard themselves there is provably a very limited amount of things you can do .

OK Chinto do not take this personally, I am not attacking you just the words you wrote. As to the first part of your statement, unless you can train her up to the standards of say Marine Spec. Ops. before she leaves the building and lend her your 1911 .45 to illegally conceal carry, how are you going to do that?
Second part of the statement I am taking Serious Issue with! This is making it the victims fault.:angry: So because she won't or can't help herself she deserves what she gets? :disgust: What steps would You suggest she take? That don't break the law or end up with her dead. Perhaps there are a limited amount of things You can do but there are lots of resources out there that are available for her. Contact an abuse shelter hotline or a woman's clinic and ask to speak to an abuse counselor.:yoda:
lori

AoCAdam

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well that sucks, If a good friend of mine told me she was in trouble I would have her call the police. Its important to learn from these tragic events.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well that sucks, If a good friend of mine told me she was in trouble I would have her call the police. Its important to learn from these tragic events.

How would you do that?

Latest Discussions