Iaido Training: iaito vs. boken

Clinton Shaffer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if there’s a noteworthy difference between the handling and weight of an iaito when compared with that of a boken?

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There is. You may be able to visit a martial arts supplies shop and try handling both.

With that said there is a fair degree of variance in the handling of different bokken and iaito/shinken. I have a small, super light iaito that handles very differently than my big extra heavy one. Likewise my hickory kingfisher bokken handles differently than my other shiro kashi ones.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if there’s a noteworthy difference between the handling and weight of an iaito when compared with that of a boken?
I’ve been forced into using a bokuto for training in quiet coves around where I live. The experience is very different for using a shinken or Iaito mainly because the mass of a bokuto is pretty much distributed throughout it’s length whereas a shinken has it‘s centre of gravity carefully positioned by the swordsmith and the mass of the various koshirae such as tsuba and habaki. Thus the feeling is different but better than nothing. I tend to use a lightweight kiri (paulownia) bokuto for accuracy of technique and a heavy lignum vitae bokuto for a bit of a workout.

Roll on my garden dojo being completed....

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As others have noted, bokken and iaito are very different beasts, most especially when it comes to handling the momentum of cuts, or, indeed, handling the blade itself. For partner forms, a bokken is pretty much essential, but for solo and kata practice then, once you are sure you are committed to the art (for iaito are not cheap), buying a quality blunt blade is the way forward.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an Iaido colleague in Cornwall who used to make violins. He now makes exquisite tsuka, Niten bokuto and wooden Iaito, He is currently making me a wooden iaito that will virtually mimic the dimensions of my shinken and he says handle very similarly, but of course not identically. I need such a bokuto to practise in ‘public’ albeit deserted areas during the pandemic!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:smiles: Such will be very useful. My sensei was a carpenter in his working years and made a wooden daisho for very similar purposes :nods:.

One thing to note, of course, is that unless they are weighted, you will notice a difference in weight and balance but it shouldn't be enough to be a problem. A beneficial side-effect of the material is it doesn't matter so much if it rains, which is quite pertinent given how terrible the weather has been this year so far :D.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I quite like oddly balanced and weighted bokuto. They make you work a little differently...it’s a challenge!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
:smiles: Such will be very useful. My sensei was a carpenter in his working years and made a wooden daisho for very similar purposes :nods:.

One thing to note, of course, is that unless they are weighted, you will notice a difference in weight and balance but it shouldn't be enough to be a problem. A beneficial side-effect of the material is it doesn't matter so much if it rains, which is quite pertinent given how terrible the weather has been this year so far :D.
Good to see you sir. I hope you have been well.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I quite like oddly balanced and weighted bokuto. They make you work a little differently...it’s a challenge!
As I was reading thru the above posts, I was thinking the same thing! Similar to training on flat, bumpy, smooth or inclined grounds, a variety of training conditions is only beneficial. I think the form of the actual cut, the technique, is the same with bokken, iaito, or shinken, but the feel will be a little different in the arm muscles.

I use 3 differently weighted roku shaku (6'bo) in my karate to develop different aspects such as shoulder strength, hip movement for momentum generation, control of speed, etc. In fact, I often do my kobudo katas emptyhanded, exactly as if I had a katana, bo or tonfa in hand. Although it causes some confused looks in the dojo, I believe it to be extremely beneficial. I suggest it to all.

The challenge is to perform the cut the same, form-wise, ignoring and overcoming the difference in feel, and concentrating on the essence of the cut itself. It is a physical challenge, but more so, a mental one.

Last edited:

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It depends on the school you practice as to what equipment they suggest. Ideally you can make up a tool for personal training. I used to use a 1 1/2" steel bar with a pipe bolted on as a tsuka. You need to reach the stage where the weapon is an extension of oneself. Not heavier or lighter.

C Sal

White Belt
Reaction score

Oh there is plenty of difference.

For example and a very obvious one, the handle of sword iaito (or even a katana) feels totally different. It's not as smooth as a boken, which one can hold more comfortably. I decided to train with both. So I would understand both.

Latest Discussions