I wish I'd gotten into tactical training this early

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is an 11-year-old, 80 lb. (+/-) girl who went through Tactical Response's Fighting Pistol class in Vegas several months ago.

YouTube - McKenzie - 11yo Girl at Shooting Range #1 of #3

YouTube - McKenzie - 11yo Girl at Shooting Range #2 of #3

and one from later in the day, or perhaps the next day (notice how much smoother her tap-rack and reloads are, and how much better she's controlling the recoil.)
YouTube - McKenzie - 11yo Girl at Shooting Range #3 of #3

This should also be a kick in the butt for anyone who whines about Glocks not fitting their hands...If she can do it, what do you have to whine about?

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Damn good for her and her parents. Shes goona be formidable if she keeps at it.

The only thing Im not keen on is the gun by the head while scanning. I know why they do it. You want to scan 360 but not have the muzzle sweep the range. BUT you do as you are trained and gun by the head is bad news. Im a bigger fan of just turning the head while keeping the muzzle on the last known threat.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
hell I got my first rifle and training in its use at 5! good teach her well and she will be a good citizen!! an armed one who is not helpless.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Damn good for her and her parents. Shes goona be formidable if she keeps at it.

The only thing Im not keen on is the gun by the head while scanning. I know why they do it. You want to scan 360 but not have the muzzle sweep the range. BUT you do as you are trained and gun by the head is bad news. Im a bigger fan of just turning the head while keeping the muzzle on the last known threat.
She'll catch on. I'm sure she probably got corrected for that.

My 5 year old daughter is going to get her first .22 rifle next year. We'll start with the fundamentals of firearms safety. If she takes to it, she'll have her first shotgun by 9 or 10. Hopefully she's ready for the handgun by the time this girl is.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
hell I got my first rifle and training in its use at 5! good teach her well and she will be a good citizen!! an armed one who is not helpless.
Me too! I grew up wandering the woods with a loaded gun.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is an 11-year-old, 80 lb. (+/-) girl who went through Tactical Response's Fighting Pistol class in Vegas several months ago.

YouTube - McKenzie - 11yo Girl at Shooting Range #1 of #3

YouTube - McKenzie - 11yo Girl at Shooting Range #2 of #3

and one from later in the day, or perhaps the next day (notice how much smoother her tap-rack and reloads are, and how much better she's controlling the recoil.)
YouTube - McKenzie - 11yo Girl at Shooting Range #3 of #3

This should also be a kick in the butt for anyone who whines about Glocks not fitting their hands...If she can do it, what do you have to whine about?

By the way, I had to comment on the smarmy little Japanese guy commenting on America. ;)

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Obviously the instructor is making good use of the snap-cap malfunction drills. GLOCKS don't malfunction that often. It's good training throwing the snap-caps in there.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
What a parent should teach a child.......

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, FIGHT EFFICIENTLY, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

"A young man should be computer literate, and moreover should know Hemingway from James Joyce. He should know how to drive a car well - such as is not covered in "Driver Ed." He should know how to fly a light airplane. He should know how to shoot well. He should know elementary geography, both worldwide and local. He should have a cursory knowledge of both zoology and botany. He should know the fundamentals of agriculture and corporate economy. He should be well qualified in armed combat, boxing, wrestling, judo, or the equivalent. He should know how to manage a motorcycle. He should be comfortable in at least one foreign language, and more if appropriate to his background. He should be familiar with remedial medicine.

These things should be available before a son leaves his father's household." -Col. Jeff Cooper

......and I very much believe a daughter as well.

Last edited:

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
She'll catch on. I'm sure she probably got corrected for that.

From looking at the comments on the vid, it appears that that scan technique is what was being taught to the girl at the course she was at.

OP
KenpoTex

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
Obviously the instructor is making good use of the snap-cap malfunction drills. GLOCKS don't malfunction that often. It's good training throwing the snap-caps in there.
Yep, you're required to load at least one dummy round in every mag for the duration of the course. After going through this class (same class, different date/location) I can tap-rack in my sleep. :D

From looking at the comments on the vid, it appears that that scan technique is what was being taught to the girl at the course she was at.

Correct, the 360 degree scan is a required part of the post-shooting process when training there. The position in question is referred to as "high ready" and is one of two positions utilized so that you can turn 360 degrees without sweeping any non-hostiles (the other being position "SUL" ).

While she looked like she was just going through the motions in the first couple of clips, I'm sure that she caught on and smoothed out on that just as she obviously did on the other skills. After participating in this course, I guarentee she's already had training that is more realistic and relevant than many LE and .mil types ever get (unfortunately).

For anyone who's interested, this is the review I wrote from when I took this class last year.
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51769&highlight=tactical+response

I'm actually going back next week to take this one again as well as their Advanced Fighting Pistol, and FOF Scenarios class (yay, shooting/getting shot with simunitions).

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I grew up hunting in the woods almost from the time I can remember. My father would take me out with him and his brothers and I learned at an early age the guns kill. When they thought me old enough they put the rifle in my hands and taught me to shoot then after my first time trying to hit a moving target the took me back and taught me to hit one.
It is good to see some parents still believe in teaching their children how to handle a weapon and to how to shoot properly

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice! Cool find KenpoTex!
icon14.gif

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Apparently......though the purpose of pointing the gun toward the sky is beyond me. Makes me nervous seeing the muzzle angled up in front of someone's face like that. But it's apparently not a quirk she's doing, but is something they are being taught.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep, you're required to load at least one dummy round in every mag for the duration of the course. After going through this class (same class, different date/location) I can tap-rack in my sleep. :D

Correct, the 360 degree scan is a required part of the post-shooting process when training there. The position in question is referred to as "high ready" and is one of two positions utilized so that you can turn 360 degrees without sweeping any non-hostiles (the other being position "SUL" ).

While she looked like she was just going through the motions in the first couple of clips, I'm sure that she caught on and smoothed out on that just as she obviously did on the other skills. After participating in this course, I guarentee she's already had training that is more realistic and relevant than many LE and .mil types ever get (unfortunately).

For anyone who's interested, this is the review I wrote from when I took this class last year.
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51769&highlight=tactical+response

I'm actually going back next week to take this one again as well as their Advanced Fighting Pistol, and FOF Scenarios class (yay, shooting/getting shot with simunitions).
That explains why everyone was doing it.....I understand the logic of not 'lasering' non-hostiles with the muzzle. ...but it would seem the same could be accomplished by pointing the muzzle toward the ground directly in front of your feet than having the muzzle directly in front of your face.

Not saying it's wrong, just saying it doesn't make me comfortable. Explains why she was doing it though. Accounting for that, this girl did better than some cops i've had in training.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ditto. My only gripe is the weapon so close to the head. Sul or ground.

OP
KenpoTex

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I prefer Sul myself because, even though it's a disparate position that doesn't fit within my drawstroke, I feel like the mechanics are slightly better when/if you have to re-engage or engage another threat. That's not to say that I think there's anything necessarily wrong with the high-ready...different tools, etc.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ya know, she handles that weapon better and with more confidence than a lot of adults that know.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ken,

She has better not tell what she does to her school class. Why they might send her to an alternative school for bad kids cause she mentioned 'gun' in class.

But yes, I sure wish I'd had formal training earlier. But I am lucky. Since age 15 or so I got to roam the woods with .22. I mean no critter was safe from me. Even got two armadillos with a Colt .32 auto at age 17 (snuck my grandmom's .32 out to take hunting.) I grew up with Colt 'O' frame and Smith 'K' frame handguns to.

I'm a firm beliver that all kids should be taught early about guns and how to safely handle them (we do it with sex, so why not guns? Both are everywhere, right?)

Deaf

OP
KenpoTex

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ken,

But yes, I sure wish I'd had formal training earlier. But I am lucky. Since age 15 or so I got to roam the woods with .22. I mean no critter was safe from me. Even got two armadillos with a Colt .32 auto at age 17 (snuck my grandmom's .32 out to take hunting.) I grew up with Colt 'O' frame and Smith 'K' frame handguns to.

I'm a firm beliver that all kids should be taught early about guns and how to safely handle them (we do it with sex, so why not guns? Both are everywhere, right?)

Deaf

I too was lucky enough to get an early start in the shooting world. My dad taught me how to shoot when I was about 5 and by the time I was in high-school, I owned 3 or 4 different guns. I just didn't get to do anything as cool as that.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sadly, it's something that's simply been made to 'go away' over here in Britain and I think it's a crying shame.

I grew up learning how to hunt small game and clear vermin with small calibre rifles and little 410 shotguns. Indeed, my first 'job' was on a local farm shooting rats and scaring off birds. Plus, that rabbit hunting came in very useful when my dad was out of work for a while and I could put meat on the table.

Those experiences are what enabled me to be good enough with a longarm to be on my university rifle team - I bet those dont exist anymore either :(.

We were a nation of shopkeepers and soldiers ... now I think we're just a nation of shoppers - glum.

Off to watch the practical shooting videos now :tup:.

EDIT: Good girl!!!! I am so impressed. Mind you, I am about the worst pistol shot known to mankind :lol:.

Latest Discussions