Firearm Retention Techniques On The Instinctive Edge!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay I am a firm believer in having effective and efficient firearm retention techniques. I wrote a little bit about them today on my blog: The Instinctive Edge.
http://brianvancise.wordpress.com/2008/07/11/firearm-retention-skills/

I am interested in hearing how other people train their firearm retention techniques.
icon6.gif

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
well one of the first technique to retain the weapon would be dont work with a fire arm at knife range.. but stay back with it... hell unless you are a cop making an arrest why would you allow them that close? if its out .. there better be a real reason to have it out.. and if it is and they are closing shoot them.

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
retain= pull (lay down)
offend= push (push down)

If someone grabs the weapon or the arms or whatever simply lay down and fire.... if you try to wrestle with a stronger bigger guy it could be costly.... instead use the body weight to lay down and fire into center mass

AzQkr

Orange Belt
Reaction score
One of the systems I've been trained in seems to have the best balance and more effective retention skills I've seen of several I've been exposed to over the years.

It's call Center Axis Relock, or commonly seen referred to as CAR.

Retention skills can be called upon at any time, even when the gun has been pulled and you are extended in any way prior. Multiple aggressors, one could tie that arm up from behind, the side, come out of nowhere.

Retention also would cover a gun grab from your holster, or grabbing for the weapon as it's being presented.

So retention skills are NOT just due to the distance the tango starts, but where it can end up in short order where you may have to collapse the weapon back into yourself to maintain control of it at the beginning, the middle or the end of some tango fest.

Brownnie

Latest Discussions