I think Wal-Mart has lost it

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I wanted to buy a head of cauliflower. The caulifower was $3.77 a head at Wal-Mart. Ok, it was the "organic" and that's all they had. Forget it. I don't like paying the $2.58 for a tiny spot-ridden head either.

We tilled our garden this year but didn't have a chance to plant. :(

Isn't all caulifower organic anyway?

"Organic" is as tricky a term as "Free range chicken". The price of food is up about 5% in the last few months. Thank fuel prices for that. As a trucker I can tell you it's really hitting my company hard with 5.00 per gallon diesel and we're having to pass that along to the customer as a fuel surcharge.

Organic can mean 'no chemicals, only natural fertilizer, no bug spray, artisian well water and soothing music played nightly', depending on who you ask. To me, most actual organic food tastes better, but you really have to read to be sure you're getting the real deal. Some places just stick the label on there.

We have had bad luck with fruit/veg./meat at the local Wal-Mart.
A lot of Wal-Mart's "fresh" produce stinks. We have Giants here and they have very nice produce and at reasonable prices compared to some grocery stores.

It's a pain but I'm going to start going to the Giant for produce.

I've had good luck with their meats but I'm suspicious. When I broil the ribeyes, I only pepper them. They seem rather salty. So, I think the meat may be injected with a tenderizer.

Organic can mean 'no chemicals, only natural fertilizer, no bug spray, artisian well water and soothing music played nightly', depending on who you ask. To me, most actual organic food tastes better, but you really have to read to be sure you're getting the real deal. Some places just stick the label on there.
Organic produce shouldn't be pretty either.

"Organic" is as tricky a term as "Free range chicken". The price of food is up about 5% in the last few months. Thank fuel prices for that. As a trucker I can tell you it's really hitting my company hard with 5.00 per gallon diesel and we're having to pass that along to the customer as a fuel surcharge.
A few weeks back, diesel was 5.13-9/10. I live in rural area, so it would have been higher in more populous areas of NY.

We have a tractor and haven't been cutting our grass as often as we'd like because of the diesel fuel prices (almost 6 acres).

Walmart sucks big time for fruit and veggies, we always go to the produce market seems to be better.

I wanted to buy a head of cauliflower. The caulifower was $3.77 a head at Wal-Mart. Ok, it was the "organic" and that's all they had. Forget it. I don't like paying the $2.58 for a tiny spot-ridden head either.

We tilled our garden this year but didn't have a chance to plant. :(

Isn't all caulifower organic anyway?

Well, I'll point out a couple of things, since I do spend roughly 40 hours a week looking at produce (not an expert- believe me). I don't currently work at Wal- Mart, but have a few years back. In my experience, it's such a terribly busy place, employees barely have enough time to put the stuff out, and therefore can't properly go through the items- cull, as it's called (no pun intended). Now, your less busy markets on the other hand, stands a much better chance of getting a decent once (or more) through. That's typically at least twice a day- morning and evening.

Your average non- organics are treated with chemicles that are intended to keep them "looking" fresh for us as a consumer. Organics are not- basically being shipped as is, therefore won't last or look pretty as long as the other, which you'll see spots.

Well, I'll point out a couple of things, since I do spend roughly 40 hours a week looking at produce (not an expert- believe me). I don't currently work at Wal- Mart, but have a few years back. In my experience, it's such a terribly busy place, employees barely have enough time to put the stuff out, and therefore can't properly go through the items- cull, as it's called (no pun intended). Now, your less busy markets on the other hand, stands a much better chance of getting a decent once (or more) through. That's typically at least twice a day- morning and evening.

Your average non- organics are treated with chemicles that are intended to keep them "looking" fresh for us as a consumer. Organics are not- basically being shipped as is, therefore won't last or look pretty as long as the other, which you'll see spots.
What's funny is that the nonorganic stuff always looks organic (spots, small - but like you said, the employees don't have time to cull through all the produce) and the organic cauliflower looked nonorganic. The organic cauliflower was huge and flawless. I was suspicious. The stuff I grow in my own garden doesn't look that good.

What's funny is that the nonorganic stuff always looks organic (spots, small - but like you said, the employees don't have time to cull through all the produce) and the organic cauliflower looked nonorganic. The organic cauliflower was huge and flawless. I was suspicious. The stuff I grow in my own garden doesn't look that good.

Something to keep in mind when suspicious... If you look for the product number on the packaging, remember organics will always start with a "9", but the rest of the number is the same. I'm not saying that it's impossible to get a really good looking head, or that things didn't get mixed up in the store- stuff happens.

Something to keep in mind when suspicious... If you look for the product number on the packaging, remember organics will always start with a "9", but the rest of the number is the same. I'm not saying that it's impossible to get a really good looking head, or that things didn't get mixed up in the store- stuff happens.
Thanks for the tip. I didn't know the organic stuff begins with a "9."

Latest Discussions

Back