I need help choosing a martial art!

OP
C

ciondk

There are a lot of good ideas posted here for you, even some more exotic arts it seems. I think a good first choice is to try out for a BIG martial sport. Since they have a lot of clubs around the world, you will be able to train everywhere. That said I think I would recommend Jiu Jitsu, if available, OR Judo with boxing crosstraining. Jiu Jitsu doesnt have a lot of kicks and strikes though, but a lot of joint locks and takedowns. The reason I would usually recommend Jiu Jitsu instead of Judo is because Judo is more sportorientated meaning a lot of practical self defense techniques are left out because they dont belong in a competition. On the other hand, Judo does teach you to fight against an opponent who knows martial arts...well Judo, so fighting a nontrained is easier, though something unexpected is more likely to happen.

Strength is of course a mojor advantage in either of the systems, and it makes it easier to force a technique through. And since I believe boxing is a lot about strength I think its a good choice for you. If you chose to ignore kicks you will miss an entire range of fighting, but for some people thats okay I guess.

OP
K

kenpochad

sounds like kenpo .

look around find somthing with friendly people if you dont get along with the people a the school you wont train like you should good luck

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Find a kenpo school with a good grappling program. Ju Jitsu won't punch enough for you, hapkido may fit but has more than it's fair share of kicks that you said you don't want and pure kenpo probably won't joint lock enough for you but will definitely punch enough. Other than that cross train Boxing with any grappling system that you see and like. I always believe in cross training whenever possible that way you actually learn the BASICS of what it is you're interested in. Check my Arts for what I mean. Kenpo = scientific principles and concepts, TKD = kicking and footwork, Kung Fu = relaxation and flow, Ju Jitsu = Joint locks and grappling. My two cents, train as much as you have time for in as much/many as you can/want to afford.

James Hawkins III, HI
Hawkins Kenpo Karate
Baltimore, MD

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
well... I think just about everyone will tell you to take what they do as it is perfect for you...

lol not me.....

I do Shotokan and if a person doesnt want lots of kicks I'd advise they don't get shotokan :) we work on kicks about every class

like i say, its kicky punchy karate. :D

eggg1994

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hey im new to this and i reccomend brazilian jiu jitsu its like the most effective form of self defence and you don't have to be flexable to be good at bjj. bjj uses joint locks, chokes, and throws. im not really the expert but i can help you a bit and the most important thing is in bjj you don't have to be strong to defend yourself.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I want joint locks and punching... I am not too flexible, but I have alot of strength. Plus I need a deit and workout routine. Can anyone help me out!? I don't want lots of kicks...!

I am going to go out on a limb here, and suggest you go see a personal trainer and get yourself into shape, and take control of your diet, and fitness level before worrying about self defense...
I just get this image of a person vastly out of shape, and in poor health, wanting to take self defense, when the most likely threat to your life and limb is probably what your eating and the time you are spending on the couch..
sure self defense in the form of a martial art might be good for you, but I just get the feeling that a personal trainer working with you to get you back in shape will do much more for you in the short term, until you are in better shape to take a martial arts class seriously

EDIT.. Lame I just realized someone necroposted a 5 year old post.
my advice stands..
I wonder what happened to the original poster...
got a martial art?
got in shape?
got dead?
or did nothing different?

Last edited:

threethirty

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In my opinion you could benefit from a complete system like Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun. There would be no need to "cross train" thus saving you some money. There would be kicking and some other things you don't like right now. But all the things I love in MA I hated at the start.

Although I am biased...

OKenpo942

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I agree with the others. Kenpo will give you the striking with not a lot of kicks. Hapkido or jujutsu will give a lot of locks. Ideally, if schools are available and if time permits, try cross-training. I think a mixture of these arts will make you very well rounded.

Chemistry is also important. If you can find a school that is a good fit for you, regardless of style, give it a go. Most arts will have some locks and the striking is a given. Learning kicks will also apparently strengthen an admitted weakness. How can that hurt?

James

chien_fu

White Belt
Reaction score
It's true, chemistry is important. For beginners it's very important that you like the instructor and can communicate with them well. They will be able to help you find what is best for you far better than people on a forum who don't really know you.
I would recommend trying out a class at several different schools. You may be surprised at what starts to look appealing to you after meeting some of the instructors and other students.

fitnessguy

White Belt
Reaction score
I would recommend you try boxing. You may want to try asking a boxing expert for diet and nutrition tips.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I want joint locks and punching... I am not too flexible, but I have alot of strength. Plus I need a deit and workout routine. Can anyone help me out!? I don't want lots of kicks...!

Welcome to MartialTalk!

So I have a few answers, but more importantly, some questions. Some were asked earlier but never answered.

1. What is the main goal you want to get out of a martial arts program?

Possible answers: being able to defend ones self, get in shape, gain confidence, be a badass, enhance one's spirituality, connect to a living history, beat the crap out of people, win tournaments, etc.

The answer you give will help you determine what general type of martial art would hold your interest.

2. Why do you specifically want to learn joint locks and punching?

There is a deeper reason for the things you want. To discover it will help you more fully articulate what you want out of a martial arts program

3. Why do you not want to do kicks?

What is it about kicks that you do not like? or do you have a physical limitation that prevents you from getting much mileage out of kicks?

Now for some comment

1. Flexibility comes with stretching and time:
It is not a permanent state of being to not be flexible. A good teacher will work within your range of motion while looking to increase said range.

2. Go to the experts: No matter how well intentioned, a martial arts instructor is simply not going to be as good a diet consultant as a licensed dietitian. Similarly, a workout routine is best developed by a personal trainer. There are martial arts instructors that are certified personal trainers as well, and you may want to look for them.

3. The things you want/expect change over time:
Try to think long term, where you want to be in three years of training time. Not where you are now.

4. Just do it: Ultimately, the way to find a class that is right for you is to go try out a class.

Indie12

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk!

So I have a few answers, but more importantly, some questions. Some were asked earlier but never answered.

1. What is the main goal you want to get out of a martial arts program?

Possible answers: being able to defend ones self, get in shape, gain confidence, be a badass, enhance one's spirituality, connect to a living history, beat the crap out of people, win tournaments, etc.

The answer you give will help you determine what general type of martial art would hold your interest.

2. Why do you specifically want to learn joint locks and punching?

There is a deeper reason for the things you want. To discover it will help you more fully articulate what you want out of a martial arts program

3. Why do you not want to do kicks?

What is it about kicks that you do not like? or do you have a physical limitation that prevents you from getting much mileage out of kicks?

Now for some comment

1. Flexibility comes with stretching and time:
It is not a permanent state of being to not be flexible. A good teacher will work within your range of motion while looking to increase said range.

2. Go to the experts: No matter how well intentioned, a martial arts instructor is simply not going to be as good a diet consultant as a licensed dietitian. Similarly, a workout routine is best developed by a personal trainer. There are martial arts instructors that are certified personal trainers as well, and you may want to look for them.

3. The things you want/expect change over time:
Try to think long term, where you want to be in three years of training time. Not where you are now.

4. Just do it: Ultimately, the way to find a class that is right for you is to go try out a class.

Yeah, I had similar questions... But you pretty much beat me to it. Thanks! :)

Latest Discussions