Am I just too late?

zen4me

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well day 1 of not smoking and its going ok so far. I'm using the patch to ween myself off. I missed my morning workout but will make it up tonight by working a little harder. Today I'm wieght training for tone and lean mass. Higher reps so that I don't build much bulk so as not to slow myself down. I feel better today overall though. Hope this good feeling keeps on through the day with the not smoking.

Don't get into the habit of "making up" for missed workouts, especially when you are just starting out. That's just asking for an injury to occur as your body is just not used to being pushed in that way.

Regarding your post about a possible journal, I'd suggest starting a blog or joining livejournal for that. Then you'd actually have a way to look back at previous posts and see the progress you made, how you felt, and what you thought of your training at various stages. Plus people can leave comments! Just stick a link to it in your sig line.

As for the other suggestions, cutting out the soda (and the smoking) will be the biggest benefits as you work towards a healthier lifestyle. The empty calories and overload on sugar causes the body to crave food and sweets that would otherwise be avoided. This coming from a previously morbidly obese individual btw. You may be miserable in the short term, but long term you will be a much happier person without those two "vices".

Good luck in your journey!
- Kelly

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
The journey of a 1,000 miles starts with the first step. --Lao Tzu

You can be the best you there is, and you will never know how good that will be until you start to try. Don't be discouraged and look at younger students and think "if I started when I was that age...". You didn't, you can't go back, and your life's journey brought you to where you are RIGHT NOW. That is all we can concern ourselves with and have some semblance of control over.

Also, try to remember that it is a journey and not a race.

kwaichang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Get to a doctor. If your seriously out of shape it's best to get some medical advice about what to do and what not to do. The last thing you want is to bring on a heart attack because you pushed too hard too early.
it!!
100% agreed. :wavey:

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
It is NEVER too late. I started at age 49...just turned 50. I am still a bit overweight, but getting there. I did see a doctor for a physical before starting Uechi-ryu. The biggest issue I have is that at my age trying to keep up with the youngsters in class just isn't possible. So I progress at my own pace and am quite happy with that. BTW 11 months later... I am feeling much better physically and mentally.

- Jeff -

Shotokan

White Belt
Reaction score
Like the others have said, "it is never too late!"

You are starting a journey that will change the rest of your life. Just getting the mindset that you want to change things for the better is farther than most people ever get.

I was 38 when I started taking Karate classes and it has helped me in many ways both physically and mentally. In order to not give up, I made my changes a little more gradual. I too used to smoke and said that when I pasted my first rank examination after white belt, I would quit smoking. It was one week after I passed my first test that I quit smoking.

I also started working on getting into better shape. When I started training, my body fat was around 18-20% but after almost four years, it is down to around 12%.

It has not been an easy journey but it is one that I am glad that I started.

Keep up the good work and most of all, enjoy it.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Right. You get into the school and start to practice there. Just go. Don't fret about loosing pounds, that will come, you trust me!

As for loosing smoking, I now smoke cigarrettes again, and will quit soon, but I use a different way to do it. For me, the yoga changes my brain, my mind, so that I respect my body more. I do not care WHY this is so, I just know that is is, for me, so that is my "secret weapon". And I never let anyone discourage me, saying, "Yoga is for women." They have no sense, they don't know what they talk about!

You just get in there and you get your licks in, wherever you go! You get off the couch and start to practice, no matter what school! I myself am gaining stamina and strength. Flexibiility and balance. You see, I quit the martial arts and stayed quit for a long time, but I am coming back.

The only thing that the adult misses out on is that to them the Head Instructor is simply a human being -- to the child, the Master Instructor is a freaking ROCK STAR! But your missing out on that is not too terrible.

We wish to hear from you again on this board as you engage yourself in this martial way!!!

All the best to you with this!

Robert
Yoga is definitely intense. People that say Yoga is for women , have obviously never tried it, nor do they know anything about it. The statement alone shows their ignorance.

koshojoe

White Belt
Reaction score
If the soda isn't diet, you'll be amazed what a difference in your caloric intake it makes to make the switch. There may be problems with diet sodas as well, but at least you're eliminating hundreds of empty calories and huge amounts of sugar.

As someone who used to drink waaaay too much Coca Cola Classic, and claimed he could "never" switch to diet, let me tell you how it actually works. When you make the switch, the diet sodas taste terrible... for about 2-3 weeks until your body adjusts (I actually found that the clear sodas like diet Sprite or 7up tasted "better" than the colas at first, and have the bonus of being caffeine-free). You will adjust, and in a short time the regular sodas start tasting bad.

Expect headaches for the first couple of days as your body gets used to not getting the jolt of sugar at regular intervals... this goes away after ~3-4 days.

Personally, although I know it would be better to go without sodas entirely, I figure it's a vice I can live with that doesn't have a massive impact on me the way the sugar-filled ones did.
Hello, Can some one tell me why soda (including diet) are bad for you? This coming from a Diet Rite drinker, and martial artist of some number of years.

I used to smoke too, but quit 1-1/2 years; though I still chew nicotine gum (I can't seem to stop).

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello, Can some one tell me why soda (including diet) are bad for you? This coming from a Diet Rite drinker, and martial artist of some number of years.

I used to smoke too, but quit 1-1/2 years; though I still chew nicotine gum (I can't seem to stop).

Diet soda has a sweet taste, and makes you crave sweet things; in addition, the caffeine can give you a boost, but when it drops, people tend to eat more. Last year my doctor asked if I had changed any of my eating habits and I told her I had cut way down on drinking soda, and she congratulated me, then gave me the above reasons why it was good for me that I had cut down.

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have had a similar response, from my doctor, that Kacey has had regarding diet soda...and soda in general. Since retiring from the Navy where I seem to have lived on caffeine (either soda or coffee), I have gotten to the point that I average two cups of coffee in the morning and have almost completely cut out soda. May hove one at a picnic, or social event but that is about it. And truth be told...I prefer just plain old water for quenching the thirst...and on special occasions mineral water.

- Jeff -

koshojoe

White Belt
Reaction score
Diet soda has a sweet taste, and makes you crave sweet things; in addition, the caffeine can give you a boost, but when it drops, people tend to eat more. Last year my doctor asked if I had changed any of my eating habits and I told her I had cut way down on drinking soda, and she congratulated me, then gave me the above reasons why it was good for me that I had cut down.
Thank you, I knew it in my head it was bad for you, just didn't want to accept the truth. I now see my next challenge!
I have been a brown belt for a loooong time now, and want to achieve next level. For awhile, I thought I coudn't make the grade - too weak, too old (50), too undisciplined. I guess this is why I signed up for this forum, to find support to make my goal. I began to feel like an outcast in the school, but I don't know for a fact that was their intention (didn't ask). Perhaps I should! Thanks for letting me rant a little.

Paquita

White Belt
Reaction score
It is not too late. I took karate classes five years ago for three months. Now, at age 49, I have started back. I do not smoke, but I am not in good shape, my diet is terrible, and I need to lose maybe forty pounds. You can do it!

Paquita

Mimir

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I will offer myself up as an example. I started TKD when I was 1 month from my 39th birthday. I also weighed around 350 lbs (I am 6'3") and had size 54 pants. I have lost 50 lbs and am now am wearing size 44 pants.

When I started I couldn't even complete a whole class, but I continued to go and gradually got to where I could finish the class. I am not where I want to be, and losing the weight is SO much harder than putting it on. The best thing is that you are doing something, anything. Just being off the couch is a victory in itself.

kwaichang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
remember the old addadge: "a journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step".
the fact you've realized you need to start is half the battle, keep on the path.

Latest Discussions