I just shake my head and say ohhh my lord!!!

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We had no rec sports at my HS so I have little to draw on to picture what you mean. We did have them at university, but those people generally played at a high level (i.e. varsity in HS) if it was a sport that was offered in HS. Those type of people are easily athletes and would instinctively squelch high kicks from someone with little to moderate levels of training if they participated in something with a lot of physical contact like American football or wrestling or even basketball.

By rec sports, I mean not high school stuff; the kind of thing where you practice twice a week and play five or six games a year just for fun. Kind of like a beer league, I guess, but slightly more serious and for kids.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I however think it's probably not a good idea to make disparaging remarks about ones teacher. If you don't like what is going on in your school you should make a change but it isn't cool to disrespect a master.

Or the art that you study or the institutions that govern your art. There are enough people outside of your art who are already doing that. To me, speaking ill of your teacher in public has about as much class as speaking ill of one's parents in public.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
This I agree with. Obviously it comes from the inability of WTF-style competitors to punch the face/head. I would like to think it's a habit that would be unlearned almost instantly in a street fight.
So would I, but I am a big believer that you fight how you train and train how you fight.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think it comes down to preference.

If They personally really like Axe Kicks, good. They should Train the hell out of it.
If Theyre doing them for the sake of doing them, THATS when its a problem.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think it comes down to preference.

If They personally really like Axe Kicks, good. They should Train the hell out of it.
If Theyre doing them for the sake of doing them, THATS when its a problem.
As long as its all in ratio. Its only when students, usually the younger ones, spend the majority of their training time bouncing and spinning and doing all that crazy stuff that it becomes a bit lop sided as far as training goes. Unless of course the student's purpose of training is to learn all the trick kicks and gymnastics side of things.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Manny...sport is one thing...SD is another...the elite level tikdst knows the difference and can make the change...if it is not being taught at the dojo level then discuss it with your Master and teach the class.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
As long as its all in ratio. Its only when students, usually the younger ones, spend the majority of their training time bouncing and spinning and doing all that crazy stuff that it becomes a bit lop sided as far as training goes. Unless of course the student's purpose of training is to learn all the trick kicks and gymnastics side of things.

You mean when the Hero comes in and saves the day with fancy stuff, then stands triumphantly at the end after His mostly compliant partners all pretend to be knocked out? :p

Last edited by a moderator:

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If I think outside of specific technique, I'd say anyone who is used to receiving full power blows, and fighting at full power, is more likely to be able to defend themselves effectively than some one at a dojang who trains in SD once a week, and only spars semi-contact. Maybe the average Joe would have problems head kicking in an SD situation, but then I suppose it depends on the situation. I ended a fight 2 years ago with a side kick to the chin, yet I see people on here saying that a side kick isn't a very good SD technique either :) Swings and Roundabouts.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I think outside of specific technique, I'd say anyone who is used to receiving full power blows, and fighting at full power, is more likely to be able to defend themselves effectively than some one at a dojang who trains in SD once a week, and only spars semi-contact. Maybe the average Joe would have problems head kicking in an SD situation, but then I suppose it depends on the situation. I ended a fight 2 years ago with a side kick to the chin, yet I see people on here saying that a side kick isn't a very good SD technique either :) Swings and Roundabouts.

nothing wrong with sidekicks. My favourite kick.

Latest Discussions