I just gotta share this...

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For those who know me, I'm not one to blow my own horn. I'm VERY self critical, and seldom content with my own achievements. But this past Thursday, I even had to tell myself, "you done good, old man".

I just had my 48th birthday. My physical abilities are declining but my progress is still improving. I love to give hope to the young, but this day, I even inspired myself. Please indulge me. I have to talk about it.

We're standing in line while one student holds the paddles and the rest of us, in line, do what ever kick Sabumnim calls out. It gets to be my turn and he stops, tells the holder to get a second paddle, and holds them in two separate levels. I tell myself, it's a naya chagi kick (double roundhouse), no big deal. But he instructs the holder to put the first paddle in position for a roundhouse at about waist level, then the second about six feet in the air and says "Spin kick" All at once. In other words, a 360 double round house, spin, landing in fighting position.

Now I know many do not understand our art and are critical of what is gained by our "flying" kicks. I'm posting this here because I don't want to go into all that.

So, I nail the round house followed by the spin... he calls "higher" for the spin. I hit it 3 times in a row. The holder says "Wow, you're hitting the spin hard! I say, "I know, I have a great view of the target". He looked at me like I have two heads. He says "How can you even see the target? I say because I'm bringing my head round before the kick.

He then raises the target to the highest he can reach, about 7 1/2 feet. Smack! Smack! I nail 'em both with full power! Who'da thunk it? My Sabumnim was watching in complete amazement. He said I was hitting the second target almost completely inverted! I did this about 8 times before my legs turned to complete jelly and couldn't jump anymore.

Anyway, sorry for the story, but I just gotta say "you're never too old until YOU say you are!

My apologies for boring you with this, but I'm so seldom impressed with anything I've done, I had to. Thanks for letting me take a moment with my story.

TAE KWON!!!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations!!!!! :partyon: You're only as old as you think you are - and think about how many people's excuses have just gone down the drain.

EDIT: Hit "enter" before I typed what I meant to

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
"you're never too old until YOU say you are!"
I can relate to that. :partyon: Sound like you really nailed those kicks. I am inspired.

reminds me of the old saying.."Age is not a time of life, it is a state of mind"

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good for you! Next you can try the double spin heel, same positions or spin heel then jump spin heel. One of our black belt tests is to do a jump spin heel-2 boards then an immediate speed break spin heel to a board sitting on the ground. My problem with doing alot of these double spins is the dizziness factor, but as you said it helps to bring your head around first and a 30 sec. break between sets of ten help too. :) TW

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is terrific! You're only as old as you allow yourself to feel/ think (which isn't exactly the same as knowing).

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This is awesome, Gemini! I don't think this story is boring at all, and I don't consider it boasting when your intent is to share inspiration, and this story is inspirational.

I know the feeling you're talking about. Sometimes, when I get warmed up enough, and things are flowing just right, I surprise myself with an exceptional performance. It feels reeeeeal good! :ultracool

Great job, and thanks for sharing!

CM D. J. Eisenhart

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini the story and the achievement was excellent, it give hope to those of us that just wants a moment of the past glory. It feels great and I know you, the ever lasting teacher and student looking out for the other student with some great advise. Sir I bow to your achievments on this particular evening.

And did I say:partyon: way to go youngster!!

Terry

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini, that story is truly inspiring. Way to go!
:partyon:

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini said:
Anyway, sorry for the story, but I just gotta say "you're never too old until YOU say you are!

My apologies for boring you with this, but I'm so seldom impressed with anything I've done, I had to. Thanks for letting me take a moment with my story.

TAE KWON!!!

Wow. That is sooooo awesome! Congrats and thanks for sharing! Right you are..."you're never too old until YOU say you are!" ...and definitely not a boring story. You SHOULD be proud of yourself. :asian: :asian: :asian:

OP
Gemini

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks all! Your support means alot and I'm glad the message was received as intended. It's often not difficult for the intent of a message to be lost on the internet.

And yes to those who understand my need to post this. It is a blessing to be able to re-live the abilities of younger years, even if only for a moment. We know enough to appreciate them for what they are and are thankful. :)

If anyone else would care to share their's, I'd enjoy hearing them.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Way to Go, Gemini!!!!

That's really great! And like LF said, sharing an inspirational story isn't boasting. Besides, sharing stories like that are what this board is all about.

Nice job, my friend.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congratulations Gemini! It was a very inspirational story and told in a humble manner! Hope to continue to read of more magic moments!

Miles

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gemini said:
For those who know me, I'm not one to blow my own horn. I'm VERY self critical, and seldom content with my own achievements. But this past Thursday, I even had to tell myself, "you done good, old man".

I just had my 48th birthday. My physical abilities are declining but my progress is still improving. I love to give hope to the young, but this day, I even inspired myself. Please indulge me. I have to talk about it.

We're standing in line while one student holds the paddles and the rest of us, in line, do what ever kick Sabumnim calls out. It gets to be my turn and he stops, tells the holder to get a second paddle, and holds them in two separate levels. I tell myself, it's a naya chagi kick (double roundhouse), no big deal. But he instructs the holder to put the first paddle in position for a roundhouse at about waist level, then the second about six feet in the air and says "Spin kick" All at once. In other words, a 360 double round house, spin, landing in fighting position.

Now I know many do not understand our art and are critical of what is gained by our "flying" kicks. I'm posting this here because I don't want to go into all that.

So, I nail the round house followed by the spin... he calls "higher" for the spin. I hit it 3 times in a row. The holder says "Wow, you're hitting the spin hard! I say, "I know, I have a great view of the target". He looked at me like I have two heads. He says "How can you even see the target? I say because I'm bringing my head round before the kick.

He then raises the target to the highest he can reach, about 7 1/2 feet. Smack! Smack! I nail 'em both with full power! Who'da thunk it? My Sabumnim was watching in complete amazement. He said I was hitting the second target almost completely inverted! I did this about 8 times before my legs turned to complete jelly and couldn't jump anymore.

TAE KWON!!!

Gemini, that is awesome. I have to wear leg braces, so I can relate. It is always an awesome feeling to do well in something that you know is hard. I am quite impressed brother.
icon14.gif
icon10.gif

Latest Discussions