Tae Kwon Do v's. Aikido

HenryDaniels

White Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering if there were any certain techniques, moves or styles one could use against a practitioner of Aikido or the like in a fight to avoid or overcome their style to beat them.

I'm referring to non-circumstantial tactics, but anything is helpful.

Thanks.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I study Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido. So the fact that I would have to throw down with an Aikido practitioner bothers me not in the least. Gee, the right kick at the right time for the right situation is the correct thing to do.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
HenryDaniels said:
I was wondering if there were any certain techniques, moves or styles one could use against a practitioner of Aikido or the like in a fight to avoid or overcome their style to beat them.

"Avoid or overcome" ........Hmmmm.........let me see.........

......don't fight them? Walk away? Don't try to punch, kick, push, or throw them down!

If it is genuine Aikido they are using, they are not going to attack you (except with a feign or distracting blow). The main goal of Aikido is to avoid the fight, and avoid being overcome, so what you are asking is "how do I avoid someone who is avoiding me?"

If you attack a skilled Aikdoist, or Hapkidoist, the main defense will be to avoid your attack, redirect you force, and use your energy, and lack of balance against you. To avoid this, don't attack. Don't extend energy forcefully. If they attack you, they are not following Aikido principles, and you can skillfully (and cautiously) use their force against them, or counter-strike quickly without sacrificing your equilibrium.

Just out of curiositiy, why would you ask about "Tae Kwon Do vs. Aikido." Is this one of those, "which one would win in a fight questions?" If so, don't ask. You know the skill of the practitioners involved, and their intent, or aggression is going to be the main factors. As a Taekwondoist, if I want to defend against an Aikidoist, I walk away. If they attack, they have sacrificed their advantage, and I can counter with a variety of short low kicks, and rapid hand strikes that do not commit to any forward aggression or powerful circular movements that they can utilize. Then, back away and wait for their next mistake.

CM D. J. Eisenhart

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Last Fearner said:

......don't fight them? Walk away? Don't try to punch, kick, push, or throw them down!

If it is genuine Aikido they are using, they are not going to attack you (except with a feign or distracting blow). The main goal of Aikido is to avoid the fight, and avoid being overcome, so what you are asking is "how do I avoid someone who is avoiding me?"

If you attack a skilled Aikdoist, or Hapkidoist, the main defense will be to avoid your attack, redirect you force, and use your energy, and lack of balance against you. To avoid this, don't attack. Don't extend energy forcefully. If they attack you, they are not following Aikido principles, and you can skillfully (and cautiously) use their force against them, or counter-strike quickly without sacrificing your equilibrium.

Just out of curiositiy, why would you ask about "Tae Kwon Do vs. Aikido." Is this one of those, "which one would win in a fight questions?" If so, don't ask. You know the skill of the practitioners involved, and their intent, or aggression is going to be the main factors. As a Taekwondoist, if I want to defend against an Aikidoist, I walk away. If they attack, they have sacrificed their advantage, and I can counter with a variety of short low kicks, and rapid hand strikes that do not commit to any forward aggression or powerful circular movements that they can utilize. Then, back away and wait for their next mistake.

CM D. J. Eisenhart
Hey LF :) your answer is spot on as usual.. I would say as an Aikidoka myself claiming zero knowledge of anything else that you are correct in not looking to overcommit when fighting me however I will say that this is not always just as easy as theory suggests. IMO all striking fighters I have encountered seek maximum.. or at least a significant degree of forward or rotational momentum on ANY intentionally connecting strikes and kicks (as opposed to dummy strikes) in order for them to have an effect on any opponent. As soon as you do this.. and EVERY time you do this.. you set yourself up for a counter technique.. so be mindful!

And this reflects the very nature of Aikido philosophical teachings in that once an individual seeks to harm physically they will have already committed impulse.. momentum and balance to forward motion. And this is natural for any "fighter".

I will say to defeat an Aikidoka you might wish to be quick in-and-out boxing style and no standing around trying to throw little jabs or telegraphing up flamboyant step-through kicks or back kicks or anything off norm .. if the aikidoka is worth her salt she will try to keep out of range of rapid fire strikes or kicks as best as she can (being aware AND prepared for strikes of yours that will obviously and unavoidably connect - a mistake many aikidoka make in thinking they are beyond contacts) she will certainly be looking for the aforementioned telegraphed step-throughs or reverse kicks which give many fighters away because they require a wind-up period but the aikidoka will instead attempt to move on your striking INTENTION.. which trust me.. with sufficient practice CAN be done.

I will also suggest IMO as a TKD practitioner you would benefit from using longer range POWERFUL kicks ..simple side kicks I guess.. sorry I am uncertain of the terminology.. that is as opposed to short range anything.. cos once you are at close range you are presenting a lot of targets all at once.. therefore I suggest to stay right at the edge of your kicking range and throw them in as long and as powerful and as FAST as you can.. better fast because if you leave that leg in there remember a leg or foot has the same points of manipulation as a wrist and any self-respecting aikidoka will be more than happy to take down from a kick.. anyway those are just my tips as a humble and not very knowledgeable practitioner of Aikido fwiw :)

Saying that an aikidoka who attacks is not following Aikido principles is certainly correct for the most part.. though should you meet a Yoshinkan or even perhaps NGA practitioner things may not be so clear cut.. Such aikidoka will happily strike away and still be within their styles own guiding principles despite perhaps being somewhat at odds with O'Sensei.

Of course having said all that.. this IS posted up in the TKD section so.. yep.. TKD fighter wins just by turning up I think is the appropriate answer, ha! LOL ;)

Be good and stop fighting I tell ya...

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

OP
H

HenryDaniels

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, this is very interesting and helpful.

No, this isn't 'one of those' "which one would win in a fight questions?"', but rather I am trying to improve my knowledge and general technique in the arts.

Thanks.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
As most people who train Aikido no They are very likely to get hit a few times befor they can get there aikido workin. Timing of your opponet to get your tools working is different then the day to day class room training. Distances change and such. A good Aikdo person Can surprise you. But so can any decent M/A person. skill and training helps Learning to fight on after being hit helps. work your ranges well and you can find the different tools that work often

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
HenryDaniels said:

I'm referring to non-circumstantial tactics, but anything is helpful.

Thanks.

grab their wrist lightly. As they are about to counter-grab your wrist (to execute their patented wristlock), let go of that wrist while at the same time launch a kick to the groin or shinbone. Then throw several eulgul jireugi head punches, followed with a push kick to the abdomen. From there, establish your distance with him until the police arrives. Or run away quickly. Your choice :)

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think a skilled Aikidoist is one of the worse matchups a TKD person can run into. Your kicks better be fast or you'll be on the wrong side of an irimi-nage faster than you can say 'lickety-split'.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last Fearner said:

CM D. J. Eisenhart

To add to what my collegue so eloquently said, the way to find out to work all that out would be to train with an Aikidoka. This is one of those times internet theory helps little. I'm a TKD guy who trained for a minute in Aikido (enough to appreciate it) & I couldn't give you a better answer than LF's. (& I mean no disrespect when I say this) "They won't attack you. So walk away."

kepundengz2003

White Belt
Reaction score