I don't understand??

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Too bad the days of having to "prove" your style in challenge matches has gone by the wayside. It would clear up alot of things popping up nowadays

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You didn't mention his age. Could that coupled with a case of BB fever be the cause? Could he be unhappy with what he's learned since earning his belt, or does he think he now knows all he needs to know? There's a lot of variables.

I would ask him to show you what he would do different in his style and explain how it's better. That alone could help him realize he's not thought this through far enough. Dreaming about having your own style may sound grand but, as many who've tried know, the reality can be quite different.

Years before I started, a student at our school left as a 1st degree brown belt. He later started his own "style" of Bok Fu Do. There are several schools and all have the McDojo reputation. In addition, it has dragged our system and our GM down with it just by association, even though there is no connection between our schools. You can't stop this guy from striking out on his own but you can help him "see the light", not only because it would be the right thing to do but also to protect your reputation.

OP
L

lonekimono10

jdinca said:
You didn't mention his age. Could that coupled with a case of BB fever be the cause? Could he be unhappy with what he's learned since earning his belt, or does he think he now knows all he needs to know? There's a lot of variables.

I would ask him to show you what he would do different in his style and explain how it's better. That alone could help him realize he's not thought this through far enough. Dreaming about having your own style may sound grand but, as many who've tried know, the reality can be quite different.

Years before I started, a student at our school left as a 1st degree brown belt. He later started his own "style" of Bok Fu Do. There are several schools and all have the McDojo reputation. In addition, it has dragged our system and our GM down with it just by association, even though there is no connection between our schools. You can't stop this guy from striking out on his own but you can help him "see the light", not only because it would be the right thing to do but also to protect your reputation.

he is 31

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
lonekimono10 said:
well frist clyde this is not the same thing and i have more time in the art's then him, but look this is not about ME,and i did not try to do something
as a !st dregee BB , and as far as me doing what i wanted to do maybe if you checked out about what I did you would understand a little better,
thanks for the put down i know everyone has something to say about people in the arts, and i KNOW YOU HAVE alot to say (u always do)

thanks.

This is as much about you as it is him, you set the example and he's following. You decided to create your own system because YOU WANTED to, after being told countless times what you were doing could be improved, a response you DIDN'T WANT to hear, so you did your own thing. What makes this 31yo Black Belt any different?

DarK LorD

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sapper6 said:
Ed Parker had talent and skill.

i wouldn't suggest equating Calkins with Parker. you'd be disappointed.
I agree.

This is what seperates very few men from the rest.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
His training must've been way better than mine. I remember when I got my first degree black belt I fealt that I simply had enough grasp of the basics to really start learning the good stuff.

Regardless of your efforts I guess they'll always be one or two students that just won't get "it." Your options are limited. You can try logic and reason but if that fails, what then? You can have a friendly good-bye sparring match and really show him how little he knows. But would that be appropriate or set the right example? Probably not, though some may think otherwise. LOL.

Is this guy planning on teaching his "style" in the same area you teach?

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
George, just wait until your next class and award him an honorary 9th degree.......and wish him good luck with his new style.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
eyebeams said:
In essence: A great number of style founders (not just kenpo and not just in the US) would not be able to credibly do so in the current environment -- and that's even leaving aside dodgy belt and lineage questions.

An interesting point. Every new founder is looked at with heavy suspicion these days, yet there are many in the past who founded solid arts that are truly innovative and useful contributions (e.g., in founding Aikido, or even Isshin-ryu).

If Ed Parker were in his 30s today, there might never be a Kenpo! He might seem like just another wannabe to the masses, and attract only a limited following.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dark Kenpo Lord said:
This is as much about you as it is him, you set the example and he's following. You decided to create your own system because YOU WANTED to, after being told countless times what you were doing could be improved, a response you DIDN'T WANT to hear, so you did your own thing. What makes this 31yo Black Belt any different?

DarK LorD

That's a good point.

Kalicombat

Green Belt
Reaction score
eyebeams said:
Eventually, yes. Though the average martial artist has much better technical skills than in previous decades.

*Technical skill and fighting ability are not exactly the same thing.

You think that in the age of Mc Dojo's and mail order blackbelt programs that "the average martial artist has much better technical skills than in previous decades"? I don't think so. Some, maybe, but the AVERAGE, no way. Average people do average things. Average martial artists go to average schools, run by average instructors, content with being average. These average schools are crippled by the fear of law suits and as such, keep contact to a minimum. Average instructors don't want to appear average, so they set up programs like BLACKBELT CLUBS and collect all that ca$h up front. Average schools push average students through material so that Joe Average doesn't get discouraged and go do some other average thing. Average schools teach material, but they don't train the individual, a big difference. Teach an average person martial arts material, and they become average martial artists.....train an average person to use the material they've been taught, as well as train their minds to submit to pain and exhaustion, their bodies to endure the pain and exhaustion, and you no longer have an AVERAGE martial artist....

Just some thoughts,
Gary C.

"DONT BE AVERAGE, NEVER SETTLE FOR MEDIOCRITY"

OP
L

lonekimono10

Dark Kenpo Lord said:

DarK LorD
Clyde what the heck r u talking about? i want to know one thing
who told me countless times about what i was doing?????
u my friend need to wake up, look clyde worry about YOU!!!!
and stop trying to be the kenpo police, i'm fed up with it,
and one more thing you don't know me to talk crap like that, oh you might have some of the young guys scared out here,but WHO DIED AND LEFT YOU BOSS,i have no more to say to you.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
lonekimono10 said:
Clyde what the heck r u talking about? i want to know one thing
who told me countless times about what i was doing?????
u my friend need to wake up, look clyde worry about YOU!!!!
and stop trying to be the kenpo police, i'm fed up with it,
and one more thing you don't know me to talk crap like that, oh you might have some of the young guys scared out here,but WHO DIED AND LEFT YOU BOSS,i have no more to say to you.

i'd say you asked for opinion and advice, and regardless of your relationship with members of this forum, they gave it to you as they saw fitting. as an instuctor, you are influential in their paths. should teaching the martial arts be, "do as i say, not as i do...?

i'd suggest you scrap the idea of asking for forum advice. it's your student. do what you think you need to do. don't ask for advice only to chastise those who give it.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yikes, 31 I dont know if you could convince him otherwise, when I first read the post I thought he might have been some 18-21 yr old, good luck.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thread moved to Horror Stories

MJS
MT Mod

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
An interesting point. Every new founder is looked at with heavy suspicion these days, yet there are many in the past who founded solid arts that are truly innovative and useful contributions (e.g., in founding Aikido, or even Isshin-ryu).

If Ed Parker were in his 30s today, there might never be a Kenpo! He might seem like just another wannabe to the masses, and attract only a limited following.

An excellent point.

eyebeams

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Kalicombat said:
You think that in the age of Mc Dojo's and mail order blackbelt programs that "the average martial artist has much better technical skills than in previous decades"? I don't think so. Some, maybe, but the AVERAGE, no way. Average people do average things. Average martial artists go to average schools, run by average instructors, content with being average. These average schools are crippled by the fear of law suits and as such, keep contact to a minimum. Average instructors don't want to appear average, so they set up programs like BLACKBELT CLUBS and collect all that ca$h up front. Average schools push average students through material so that Joe Average doesn't get discouraged and go do some other average thing. Average schools teach material, but they don't train the individual, a big difference. Teach an average person martial arts material, and they become average martial artists.....train an average person to use the material they've been taught, as well as train their minds to submit to pain and exhaustion, their bodies to endure the pain and exhaustion, and you no longer have an AVERAGE martial artist....

Just some thoughts,
Gary C.

"DONT BE AVERAGE, NEVER SETTLE FOR MEDIOCRITY"

No, people have better technical ability. There are numerous filmclips of forms and sparring of all types from 30+ years ago, and you can see that average quality has dramatically improved. There's documentary evidence of the change.

On the other hand, as I said this is not the same thing as being able to fight, which includes athletic and psychological components apart from technical skill. Furthermore, application is in of itself a separate skill. You can see this in the evolution of MMA, which has rediscovered the use of many traditional fighting positions and movements once athletes discovered that straight grappling and kickboxing without a stable base doesn't cut it.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
eyebeams said:
You can see this in the evolution of MMA, which has rediscovered the use of many traditional fighting positions and movements once athletes discovered that straight grappling and kickboxing without a stable base doesn't cut it.

Can you explain your position on this is?

I do not see what you say here unless you are equating the individual teachniques used in MMA as "traditional positions." It is easy to tell that Miletich students are MMA students and NOT traditional MA students and many come in without any MA background at all. That would make them "pure" MMA'ists. Miletich fighting Systems evolved alongside the evolution of MMA in the USA.
http://miletich-fight-minn.tripod.com/

It contradicts your statement. Although he holds blackbelts you won't see evidence of it in MMA in regards to "traditional fighting positions."