Another LOSER Black Belt

Kenpobldr

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Last night I heard a first hand account from a woman who is leaving another local dojo that her son was at and is now having her son attend ours.

Its seems that the other owner/instructor belittles his students. For instance he allegedly told a young boy student in front of the class that he is too wimpy and that if he cant be tougher that he will have to wear a pink belt.

He also allegedly said to one parent when they arrived to class "Hey name a little late with the payment." The parent then said that it was an oversight and that he should of just pulled him asside instead on mentioning it infront of all the parents. The instructor then said "If you got a problem with that then let's step outside and I'll give you the fist punch." The kicker though is when he didn't like a boy's haircut. The child arrived for class and was allegedly told by the instructor/owner "I told you last week to get a haircut." The instructor/owner then took the child out of class to the barber shop next door and made him get a buzz cut.

Well he is now facing charges of assult and mental anguish.

Makes me sick that someone like this exsists. Rather that becoming a mentor and help in shaping a childs life in a poitive way they just decide to emotionally destroy them.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I know it's wrong and I really wouldn't do this, but sometimes I feel like I (or someone) should go to guys like that and take him up on that first punch offer...

People like that shouldn't exist outside of bad movies.

GGAAAHHHHH!!!!!!! This stuff pisses me off!:mp5:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
** Moderator note** Thread moved to Horror Stories.

G Ketchmark / shesulsa
Senior Mod.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not every one is cut out to just free wheel a Karate school even while they may possess untold martial arts knowledge. You have to enforce standards and billing, but occasional outbursts are not the way to go about it. Perhaps someone could suggest to him a billing organization. That takes those details out of his hands.
Sean

OP
K

Kenpobldr

Orange Belt
Reaction score
tradrockrat said:
I know it's wrong and I really wouldn't do this, but sometimes I feel like I (or someone) should go to guys like that and take him up on that first punch offer...

People like that shouldn't exist outside of bad movies.

GGAAAHHHHH!!!!!!! This stuff pisses me off!:mp5:

We need a secret vigilante board of black belts.

Mods- sorry that I posted in the wrong place.

OP
K

Kenpobldr

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Touch Of Death said:
Not every one is cut out to just free wheel a Karate school even while they may possess untold martial arts knowledge. You have to enforce standards and billing, but occasional outbursts are not the way to go about it. Perhaps someone could suggest to him a billing organization. That takes those details out of his hands.
Sean

The billing wouln't be the major issue, it would be how he treats the children.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
People like that will get what they give out sooner or later.

Let us hope its sooner..

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kenpobldr said:
The billing wouln't be the major issue, it would be how he treats the children.
Good billing organizations tell you how to treat your costomers or they don't make any money.
Sean

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Touch Of Death said:
Good billing organizations tell you how to treat your costomers or they don't make any money.
Sean

A good billing company can't tell you how to be a decent human.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Quite the power trip this guy is on, guess he takes the movie version of the martial arts master with complete say over all his students a little too seriously...

Quite sure I've met school teachers with similar attitudes towards kids, except they have union backing...

I don't get it, why on earth would someone that doesn't like kids want to teach kids?

I had one person tell me everytime a kid came and gave her a hug she wanted to punt the kid across the room, yet got really offended when I choose someone else to assist in the kids classes, needless to say I spent some time confused...

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We recently stoped using the biling company and now take all payment at the school. Payment is due on the 1st, late after the 5th, $20 late fee.

The second month of this, one of the parents is late, it's like the 7th I think. Shihan asks her for the late fee, in his office between just the 2 of them (and me, the assistant instructor) and she walks away from him, across the floor, saying out loud "I'm not paying that late fee, that's ridiculous".

Well, he had a few words for her, including "if you don't like how I run my school you are welcome to leave" which, since she challenged his authority in front of everyone, were said to her in front of everyone.

She had nothing to say then, but after class she came and paid her late fee and apologized.

++++++++++

We have a 15 yr old guitar-playing head-banger who is also a great kid and a dedicated student. But his hair is a long crazy mess. We tease him about it regularly, but nobody would ever think of forcing him to the barber !!!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sheesh and I thought that the character John Kreese (Cobra Kai Sensei) was just an exaggerated parody of the "tough-guy-make your students into trained killers".... (Karate Kid 1984).
This guy... I wouldn't have taken him up on his "you take the first punch" but I would've dragged a cop and a lawyer into his dojo and brought him up on charges... Geez.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why would anyone PUT their child in a class like that? Is it like Rex Kwon Do in Napoleon Dynamite? The only place around for miles and miles and ... miles?

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I always get a kick out of people like this, but what really baffles me is the fact that you have parents who are paying for a service at a particular school that dont realize that respect should be mutual. This isnt some temple in the middle of a chinese province, it is a self defense studio in the middle of somewhere in the capitalist haven of the world. I have heard similar stories from people and I always ask myself why would you stay or put your kids through this. Part of the martial arts is to help your child grow in self confidence as well, what kind the hell kind of self confidence is a kid going to have in a place where he can not even wear his hair the way he wants?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
I would've dragged a cop into his dojo.

You wouldn't have had to drag me, after hearing the complaint I would have gone willingly..It's jerks like this that give a blackeye to all MA instructors..

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Why would anyone PUT their child in a class like that? Is it like Rex Kwon Do in Napoleon Dynamite? The only place around for miles and miles and ... miles?

Thats what I was thinking...people actually keep paying his fees?

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Quite the power trip this guy is on, guess he takes the movie version of the martial arts master with complete say over all his students a little too seriously...

Quite sure I've met school teachers with similar attitudes towards kids, except they have union backing...

LOL - they don't need union backing - I don't have it, but there are a few teachers who like to play God just down the hall from me.

I don't get it, why on earth would someone that doesn't like kids want to teach kids?

I think the real deal here is that it isn't about teaching at all. It's about power. Kids are easier to exercise power over - theoretically at least.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The so-called instructor is quite the self-inflated horror... and I agree with the questions about why people would continue to attend that class.

As far as the comments about teachers and unions - being a teacher who belongs to a union, if that's truly what you believe, then you have a very incorrect view of what a union does. Unions exist for mass bargaining (contracts, legal issues, etc.) and to provide support for the members - but no union member I've ever met (including the president of my local union, who I met with yesterday) would EVER condone the type of behavior described, nor would they support a teacher who was being disciplined for being stupid enough to act that way in the first place.