Does This Sound Letigimate? MA Claims to Have Been Assassin for Interpol...

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
Martial artist claims in Kung Fu Magazine to have been an assassin of child traffickers for Interpol:
http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=499
Sounds like BS to me. Too much 'bang bang bang, super-agent' talk to be plausable.

Usually, men claiming they were assassins for <insert super-secret agency here> usually have either mental issues or simply a problem with the truth. If I had a penny for every 'Ex-Navy Seal or Special Forces super-commando' i'd be a rich man. What's more, if there were as many ex-Special Operations guys as claim that they are ex-Special Operations, it would be the largest branch of the military, with millions of ready operatives.

I call BS.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here's a little more on him

http://charlotte.creativeloafing.com/2003-02-26/news_cover.html

Chuck Barris wannabe? Yeah, i'd say that's about right.

Here's the big question....why would a guy with a wife and kids, risk retaliation by revealing his identy to 'shadowy figures' he's obviously angered over the years? Answer? He wouldn't.

This guy could be telling the truth. My gut reaction, though, is that he's weaving an elaborate deception. If he's lying, some people are going to look awfully foolish.

digitalronin

Green Belt
Reaction score
theres a lot of fakes in martial arts magazines trying to sell tapes that will turn u into an instant killer.

OP
J

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
Sounds like BS to me. Too much 'bang bang bang, super-agent' talk to be plausable.

Usually, men claiming they were assassins for <insert super-secret agency here> usually have either mental issues or simply a problem with the truth. If I had a penny for every 'Ex-Navy Seal or Special Forces super-commando' i'd be a rich man. What's more, if there were as many ex-Special Operations guys as claim that they are ex-Special Operations, it would be the largest branch of the military, with millions of ready operatives.

I call BS.

I was hoping you'd weigh in on this. My first thought was to call BS as well. I know that child trafficking is a major industry and, in my heart of hearts, I wish there WERE people doing this. One thing I do know; in the real thing (memoirs written by individuals with VERIFIABLE histories), operators tend to DISCOUNT the role of martial arts in Special Operations - less talk of mano a mano H2H and more talk of long distance snipers.

This is his book. It has a five star review:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0882822314/104-1871610-1121501?v=glance&n=283155

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
I was hoping you'd weigh in on this. My first thought was to call BS as well. I know that child trafficking is a major industry and, in my heart of hearts, I wish there WERE people doing this. One thing I do know; in the real thing (memoirs written by individuals with VERIFIABLE histories), operators tend to DISCOUNT the role of martial arts in Special Operations - less talk of mano a mano H2H and more talk of long distance snipers.

This is his book. It has a five star review:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0882822314/104-1871610-1121501?v=glance&n=283155

You are correct. In the stories of real operators, there seem to be two things absent that are present in those of fakes. One is over-moralizing. Real operator's don't have to turn everything in to a moral plea. The real operator's i've met tend to be very matter of fact, concrete people. They don't explain things about 'sleepless nights'. In fact, most of them sleep rather well. They also don't talk about 'mano a mano' hand to hand fights either. If they do, they don't describe them as 'martial arts matches'. I believe at one point he says the most absurd thing, like

"His arm techniques reflected lots of hours with the wooden dummy and he had that low, stable balance point that's so common to Hung Gar stylists. Impossibly fast, this guy, and he didn't telegraph at all. If my partner hadn't done a lot of damage first, I'd be dead."

How lame. In addition, it sounds a little too much like an over-stylized version of a confrontation involving Richard Marcinko in one of his fictional Red Cell books where Marcinko's fictional self gets in a confrontation with an Okinawan security guard at an airfield (described as an old man) who whips Marcinko pretty good, before Marcinko's 'partner' grabs the old man from behind.

He did buy himself some time by picking a LARGE organization, like Interpol, that operates abroad, instead of a 'special forces unit'. The size and compartmentalized nature will prolong his ability to suspend disbelief. What's more, most American's know very little about Interpol, what it does or even where it does it.

I suspect his efforts to bring attention to child trafficking is shielding him from too much criticism as to the veracity of his claims. It wouldn't be the first time someone has had a good message built on lies and got a free pass for a long time because of it.

OP
J

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
You are correct. In the stories of real operators, there seem to be two things absent that are present in those of fakes. One is over-moralizing. Real operator's don't have to turn everything in to a moral plea. The real operator's i've met tend to be very matter of fact, concrete people. They don't explain things about 'sleepless nights'. In fact, most of them sleep rather well. They also don't talk about 'mano a mano' hand to hand fights either. If they do, they don't describe them as 'martial arts matches'. I believe at one point he says the most absurd thing, like

How lame. In addition, it sounds a little too much like an over-stylized version of a confrontation involving Richard Marcinko in one of his fictional Red Cell books where Marcinko's fictional self gets in a confrontation with an Okinawan security guard at an airfield (described as an old man) who whips Marcinko pretty good, before Marcinko's 'partner' grabs the old man from behind.

I suspect his efforts to bring attention to child trafficking is shielding him from too much criticism as to the veracity of his claims. It wouldn't be the first time someone has had a good message built on lies and got a free pass for a long time because of it.

Perhaps, then, this belongs in Horror Stories?

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
Perhaps, then, this belongs in Horror Stories?
Possibly. Here's a little primer to compare with...

His mission had been a dangerous one, acting as a CIA operative working underground in Laos during the Vietnam war in the late 60s. And he had been awarded a Purple Heart after being wounded in the groin by stray shrapnel during combat. All of which, along with his distinguished legal career and outstanding academic qualifications, made Patrick Couwenberg ideal material for the position for which he had applied: judge in the Los Angeles County
superior court. There was only one problem: it was all a lie.

http://www.pownetwork.org/phonies/phonies86.htm

"Going up to the Wall and seeing the name of an old friend...really bothered me." Wayne Higley. Phoney Vietnam veteran.

Choking with emotion Wayne Higley recounts his traumatic visit to the Vietnam memorial in Washington DC. He claimed he had been a US Navy Seal and had been wounded three times in his tour of duty. The problem is that he never went to Vietnam, his service history is a complete fabrication.
http://www.abc.net.au/foreign/stories/s415886.htm

http://www.homeofheroes.com/a_homepage/community/imposters/

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This guy has been talked about on every forum devoted to martial arts frauds that exists.

Typical pattern; a past that no one seems able to confirm, denials from those that should know, explinations of secrecy to cover up that fact by guys who are all over the internet and media making their claims, multiple claims that all stroke the ego and (again) can't be confirmed,...etc.

Oh, I can't say that I have been on every interpol misssion and know everything that goes on in it. But based on the lack of facts, silliness of the claims, the obvious ego stroking and everything else, I am convinced this guy is just another idiotic fraud.

OP
J

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
This guy has been talked about on every forum devoted to martial arts frauds that exists.

Typical pattern; a past that no one seems able to confirm, denials from those that should know, explinations of secrecy to cover up that fact by guys who are all over the internet and media making their claims, multiple claims that all stroke the ego and (again) can't be confirmed,...etc.

Oh, I can't say that I have been on every interpol misssion and know everything that goes on in it. But based on the lack of facts, silliness of the claims, the obvious ego stroking and everything else, I am convinced this guy is just another idiotic fraud.

That about sums it up, IMO. Given your MA and Military Experience, I think your post has significant credibility. Those in the know discount such stories. There are ex- spec. ops. who DO rescue children overseas, but they DO NOT work for Interpol and they only use force in self-defence.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:

I call BS.

I agree..Why you you broadcast that kind of info about your self?? So much for it being a secret..Wouldn't the fear of revenge form those you punished be a consideration??? I call BS too...

Dan G

Green Belt
Reaction score
Interpol is an international police organisation coordinating the international police work of member states. If the gentleman in question was busy assassinating anyone Interpol would be looking for them, not hiring them.

His involvement with the Kwanju riots (South Korea's Tianamen Square) is highly suspect, and if true (and I am confident it isn't) would likely prevent his return to South Korea. One former Korean president received a commuted death sentence for their role in quelling the riots, and as I understand it the official US position is that no US troops were involved, and the US controlled Korean units were returned to Korean command prior to the incident.

The marked focus on child abuse quoted on the site below, and the associated aggression is disturbing, and could benefit from the attention of an expert in criminal psychology. http://charlotte.creativeloafing.com/2003-02-26/news_cover.html

This isn't just BS, it deserves the serious attention of local law enforcement.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dan G said:
Interpol is an international police organisation coordinating the international police work of member states. If the gentleman in question was busy assassinating anyone Interpol would be looking for them, not hiring them.

This is correct. In fact contrary to what you see in spy movies, there are no interpol field agents.
They are basically a international clearing house for criminal records and warrants. They do no enforcement themselves, only technical support to member countries.
The closest thing they have to field agents is their crisis response teams. And these teams are made up of technicians and records clerks who set up command posts, with communication equipment, and technical and records research expertise.

OP
J

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
John Bishop said:
This is correct. In fact contrary to what you see in spy movies, there are no interpol field agents.
They are basically a international clearing house for criminal records and warrants. They do no enforcement themselves, only technical support to member countries.
The closest thing they have to field agents is their crisis response teams. And these teams are made up of technicians and records clerks who set up command posts, with communication equipment, and technical and records research expertise.

Yes, that is what I thought.

BTW, I thought a bit about this guy after I last posted and the obvious thought occurred to me that NO European nation would risk having half-baked vigilantes running loose on their payroll, ready to cause an international incident at any time. Also, this guy supposedly received three months of intensive training before being sent out into the field as an operator. Three months? I doubt any American or European special forces or intelligence agency would send a member alone on missions with less than three years training and apprenticeship.

Thanks all who responded. The MT members most likely to know weighed in and I am gratful.

Also, as SGTMAC pointed out, traffickers fight with guns, not Hung Gar!

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
What bothers me most, is the lack of any serious challenge to this guys weak credibility. In fact, if you look on his site, you'll see book reviews from several national news sources, who, apparently, simply takes this guy at his word. Honestly, I believe it's his 'message' (about child trafficking) that is buying him a free pass. Some people are going to look awfully stupid when this is said and done.

There are some very good ex Special Operations guys doing some good debunking on those claiming veteran status with various elite US units, but apparently this guy has found, in 'Interpol' a shadowy enough claim to side-step criticism for a while.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i watched a documentary on the child trade in europe about 2 months ago......more often than not, the police agencies of the asian and east european countries most affected tend to turn a blind eye to it, because of their own internal corruption.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
yeah, this guy is a total fraud, IMHO. His martial arts are sooo weak! I remember one time, when we were fighting a large group of seven foot tall Russian Child trafficers. His skills were so weak that he would have died if I hadn't disarmed them all with my Chi balls of force.

My book will be out later this month.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In addition, it sounds a little too much like an over-stylized version of a confrontation involving Richard Marcinko in one of his fictional Red Cell books

I'll agree I doubt that if the man did have of what he claims :
1 he would not be able to talk about it
2 he would not discribe it in the ways he is uness he was selling books
3 he would not want his face shown

Latest Discussions