I don't like MMA

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think I'll start going into different style subforums and starting threads about how I don't like them. I'm not a fan of TKD. Maybe I can start here.

Sure, you could. But you wouldn't be logically consistent with the OP of this thread.

He started a discussion about not liking MMA in the TKD forum, not in the MMA forum.

So, if you wish to start a thread about disliking TKD that's analogous to this one, you should start it in the MMA forum. :)

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
kimbo.... and Martial Artists in the same sentenance? only if... he proves me wrong and shows some skills on the show will i even consider him legit. otherwise he's just a street fighter. nothing wrong with that... but not a MA-ist.
But that is a lot of MMA fighters I see, strong tuff guys that can fight. Just because he is going through the UF does not make him a Martial Artist. He has to study some arts to be that. Going through the UF he only learns a few techniques and works on conditioning. He may learn some stuff that will help him in the ring (octagon) but can he really beat a Machida type artist?

I guess if he learns a kick, punch, and a few grappling techniques he can be called a Martial Artist.:shrug:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
But that is a lot of MMA fighters I see, strong tuff guys that can fight. Just because he is going through the UF does not make him a Martial Artist. He has to study some arts to be that. Going through the UF he only learns a few techniques and works on conditioning. He may learn some stuff that will help him in the ring (octagon) but can he really beat a Machida type artist?

I guess if he learns a kick, punch, and a few grappling techniques he can be called a Martial Artist.:shrug:
Wait a minute now... let's be honest here. If someone trains for a year or two in most any other "art" learning kicks, punches and a few grappling techniques, many people here wouldn't have any problem calling him or her a martial artist.

Most guys have been training at least a few years, if not more. Now, it's all good to point to Machida and other lifelong MA'ists, but at the same time, we can't hold MMA to a higher standard than is applied to everyone else.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wait a minute now... let's be honest here. If someone trains for a year or two in most any other "art" learning kicks, punches and a few grappling techniques, many people here wouldn't have any problem calling him or her a martial artist.

Most guys have been training at least a few years, if not more. Now, it's all good to point to Machida and other lifelong MA'ists, but at the same time, we can't hold MMA to a higher standard than is applied to everyone else.
All true and all in all I agree with you. All I am saying is that most of the good MMA fighters can hold their own even without the few skills they learned. These guys by nature are fighters. They are naturally tough. They posses the will or mindset to tough out being in a fight and really only need a few techniques to help them get the upper hand on someone cut from the same cloth.

Now take someone like I just stated but give them years upon years of training in multiple TMA's and you have a monster.

Fighters are fighters regardless of training or not. Many of your MMA guys are fighters, so a little training goes a long way, but it does not make them great at Martial Arts. Just my .02 or opinion.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't personally understand what makes MMA more brutal than a professional fight in kickboxing or boxing. There's plenty of blood and pain in those venues too.

Is it the submissions or the grappling? I'm actually interested in the submissions since I teach elements of classical jujutsu in my school and we practice an extensive amount of locks and throws.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I love the UFC I like the Idea of MMA. I have some issues with how most of them train. I like the training methods of GSP. He tends to take a more holistic approach to his training which is why he is so successful. Most of the fighters train in each area separately grappling one day, striking the next. weight training, cardio all under different coaches they don't seem to bring it all together. GSP seems to be the only one that I can see that brings it all together and fights each fight with identifiable strategy. One my friends from Las Vegas will be fighting his 3rd UFC fight on SPIKE on 9/16/09. Steve Cantwell the former WEC Light Heavyweight Champion will be fighting Brian Stan. This is a rubber match and should a great fight.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't personally understand what makes MMA more brutal than a professional fight in kickboxing or boxing. There's plenty of blood and pain in those venues too.

Is it the submissions or the grappling? I'm actually interested in the submissions since I teach elements of classical jujutsu in my school and we practice an extensive amount of locks and throws.

It's probably the follow-up. In boxing or kickboxing, you don't follow your opponent down and continue to hit him until the ref makes you stop.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's probably the follow-up. In boxing or kickboxing, you don't follow your opponent down and continue to hit him until the ref makes you stop.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
LOL... yeah, it's a lot less brutal than letting him get back up and gather his senses for a standing 8 count so that you can continue to punch/kick him in the head. :D

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score

Nope.
icon10.gif
But I think that it's probably a factor in why people who are used to more traditional styles have such a visceral reaction to MMA. If you're used to seeing a fighter knock someone down, go back to his corner, and wait for the ten-count, MMA is almost like watching someone cheat.

Never was a boxing fan, so I don't have that problem.

Oops, now the boxing fans are going to be mad at me.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope.
icon10.gif
But I think that it's probably a factor in why people who are used to more traditional styles have such a visceral reaction to MMA. If you're used to seeing a fighter knock someone down, go back to his corner, and wait for the ten-count, MMA is almost like watching someone cheat.

Never was a boxing fan, so I don't have that problem.

Oops, now the boxing fans are going to be mad at me.

If martial arts are for self defence as many say in their reasons for not likeing MMA then surely it makes senses to take your attacker down and make sure he doesn't get back up to start attacking him again/ it's a natural progression,it's what I've always been taught in SD. In MMA it's not as one sided as attacker and defender, they may go to the floor but both have chances to take the fight, thats the fun, the mental chess part of it all not just the physical part.

Stevebjj has made a very important point to my mind that in boxing you can have several , I'm not sure of the limit, eight counts which can leave a boxer totally open to potential brain damage. There'a a difference between being knocked down and being knocked out. A knocked out fighter in MMA doesn't have a count, the fight is finished then and there much safer. A knocked down fighter can win a fight from underneath, I've seen fighters attack as they are going down not waiting till they hit the floor.

Latest Discussions