I dont know how to word this... Disabilities while doing MA?

TapouT

White Belt
Reaction score
Do any of you guys have any sort of disabilities in your life that Martial Arts helps you with? Im just curious to see how you guys are. :)

I have tourettes syndrome and when Im doing my jiu jitsu it helps alot, it keeps my mind off it and keeps me focused on other things rather then my tourettes. Actually, you cant even tell that I have tourettes when im in class..

when I was little (around 8 I started) I did tae kwon do and it helped alot. :)

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am autistic and it helps me greatly with focus, dealing with people, and sensory overload.

One of my students has had several operations on his back and shoulder and reports that careful and conscientious training helps him stay limber and strong.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I nearly lost my right arm a couple of decades ago in an almost fatal bike accident and my wrist is attached to my elbow via a couple of crude titanium bars (medical science has come a long way in the past twenty years :D). I had to give up the Lau gar Kung Fu I had practised for so long because my faux-bionic arm just could not deal with the stresses. For fifteen years I was in constant pain with that arm. Then I started training in Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaido and after a year of swinging steel, the remaining muscles in my right forearm had gained enough strength that they bound the plates and bars together well enough for that pain to subside.

As a result of damage to the brain that I sustained in that same accident, I also have something of a temper (that I didn't used to have) and the mental discipline needed for sword-work helps me immeasurably when it comes to keeping my mouth shut when it needs to be kept shut :eek:.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
1st, welcome to MT!

I'm a mess, actually. Back in 1960, I was born nearly 3 months prematurely-something of a rarity for the time, and I have ideopathic pulmonary fibrosis because of it, which is a fancy way of saying that I have scarring on my lungs-the "ideopathic" part means the doctors don't know why, though my mom has always joked that it means some idiot screwed up my incubator.:lol:

Anyway, the short version-omitting the other challenges that I honestly say weren't relieved or alleviated by martial arts-I'm also a congenital klutz-really, that's an actual medical diagnosis, like "physically frail," and I'm quite a bit more agile and graceful for my martial arts practice than I would have been without it-I can actually dance, and not embarass myself, and climb rocks and not die falling! Most importantly, though, the breathing methods of my chosen style of karate helped ensure that-in spite of pretty much having the effective lung surface area of a little more than 1/3 of a lung,and chest x-rays that look like those of a 62 year old life long smoker, I have the lung capacity of a healthy athlete of less than half my age.....though that's probably rapidly diminishing due to my own age-but I wasn't supposed to live past 12, so I'll take it.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm a renal dialysis patient. That is incredibly hard on the body. Wing Chun helps me keep as physically fit as I can and recover quicker when my body succumbs to illness. I think it is better for me mentally though. I've been doing martial arts for well over 20 years, so when I am in the kwoon, my fellow students do not look at me as that dialysis patient, but rather that martial artist with a lot of experience. It is almost like being a "normal" person for a few hours.

OP
TapouT

TapouT

White Belt
Reaction score
Wow, This is soo interesting! See? you dont know the bigger picture of what Martial arts can do and help until you ask :)

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe martial arts can benefit everybody and I am not afraid to try to teach people with disabilities. Sometimes you have to be a little creative to solve certain problems they might have, but hey...this is martial ARTS!

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe martial arts can benefit everybody and I am not afraid to try to teach people with disabilities. Sometimes you have to be a little creative to solve certain problems they might have, but hey...this is martial ARTS!
I once heard a story (True story, from the not very far past) about an autistic man who took up Martial Arts. He went from being withheld and shy to shouting like a lunatic and being very technically proficient. Im inclined to agree: Martial Arts can benefit anyone. To what degree, will vary. But being physically and mentally active in the ways MA offer certainly doesnt hurt.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think martial arts is helpful for a wide range of abilities due to how its taught. I am not disabled in the classic sense but i have some limitations from childhood orthopedic issues. I have never been able to run, for example. Which...hasn't made me a good competitor for team sports.

In MA, the classroom experience is like being on a team, but there is enough flexibility to meet individual needs. Perhaps someone will take longer to progress through the belts...so what? And in serious matters, some MA instructors will adapt a program for the students disability.

One of the most rewarding experiences I have had on the mat was working with a high school age girl who was (I think) autistic and nonverbal. Because she couldnt talk, i could only get to know her through the physical actions of training. Her perceptions of movement were phenomenal. By watching her pad movement and seeing her try to better match what i was doing, I noticed that she was picking up on aspects of my motion that i didnt even realize I was doing.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have bipolar disorder (and no apologies!) mostly on the down side. The aspect of facing down fear that is universal to martial arts has worked miracles for my anxiety. As has the exercise. And the social stimulation, as mental illness can be extremely isolating.

Best of all is the mandate to "fall down seven times, get up eight." Depression sows its own seeds of despair and resignation, so the constant reminder that its OKAY to fall down, and routine to get back up, translates nicely to the rest of my life.

jasonbrinn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone that posted and shared such personal stories. You all have inspired and encouraged me and I am sure countless others who will read this thread.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have Diabetes, and no depth perception and lousy hand eye coordination, and ADD ADHD.... helps with all of them.

Cougar

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Interesting responses. Being retired military, I have some permanent medical issues from my service. These issues range from blood sugar imbalance from Diabetes to impaired range of motion due to Arthritis and injury. After several surgeries to wrists, shoulders, knees and feet to repair damage from service, I am not quite as nimble as when I started martial arts in my teens. All of my issues have occured after having attained black belt rank and having been an instructor for years. The difference in how I have to prepare to teach and how different it is from when I started is remarkable. Over the years, I have taught traumatic amputees and a few vision impaired vets. It has been my experience that martial arts training helped all of us compensate for any physical impairments and gave us an increased ability to function with a minimum of assistance. Not just for veterans, but for anyone, practicing martial arts is a great way to grow and develop or return to a level you once had.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been living with coronary artery disease for the past 12 years. I have had 27 stents, a pacemaker and bypass surgery. Since my return to MA I have lost weight, gained stamina and vigor and thoroughly enjoyed training. I've learned how to take it easy and rein in my tendency to think I'm still 20 and can't say enough about the many positive benefits I've received since I started back. I believe that MA with a sensei who knows how to be flexible and creative can be practiced by many people with disabilities.
Keep the faith and don't give up.
Dennis