MA practitioners with disabilities

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Since Adrienne was good enough to raise the question last night, I thought it would be a good conversation to continue. How are disabilities handled within martial arts traditions? Do attitudes vary from one tradition to another? From one disability to another?

For you instructors with disabled students (and I know there's at least one of you on MT :p ) do you make any special accommodations for them? Modify techniques? Or do you encourage them to work within the established framework?

And for students with disabilities, if you're comfortable discussing it ... how do you work around your situations to maximize your practice?

Since I'm opening the floor, I'll go first. I have bipolar (type 2.) I have times when I have a lot of trouble focusing. I'll keep making the same mistake over and over, or I'll have trouble following along with the conversation. While I'm not out of this particular closet with the rest of the group, my instructor knows, and he's very patient. It's clear from my attendance that I'm very dedicated and I think that carries me a long way. There are also times when I'm just having a lot of fun and I'll get a little manic. I have a very fine-tuned sense with my moods, so I sit out immediately, have a little snack, and breathe. If it's a real problem I sometimes carry chill pills to help with that. As yet, nobody in my new group has asked about why I sit out a lot. In the group where I used to live, I had "back problems." Which is also true, but privacy is golden.

On the face of it this may seem like a "politically correct" thread, but infirmity is part of the human condition. Disability can happen to anyone at any time, and it often comes as a nasty surprise. It's worth keeping this in mind as we go about our daily routines.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
At our school we have a few elderly people with physical limitations, as well as many others with shoulder, neck, knee injuries, etc. The instructors are wonderfully accommodating, and do not insist on techniques being performed a particular way if a student's limitations interfere. There is always a modification to the tech that can be made so that it is just as effective for SD. In fact the instructor usually demonstrate alternative methods to the whole class for any given SD scenario.

As for learning disabilites, I do not know. I myself have ADD but for whatever reason it doesn't seem to act up while I am training. My problems tend more toward retention of the learned material--an age thing perhaps, but I persist in thinking I'm way too young to be getting senile!

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The biggest issue with this concept is that it really needs to be taken on a case-by-case basis. To simply say "disabled" is too broad.... for example, we have your situation, I've known instructors teaching blind students, I've got one who's pretty much completely deaf, one of my fellow instructors had a student with severe Cerebral Palsy who was confined to a wheelchair and had limited use of both arms and his head and torso, and I had a gentleman come along to watch a class one night who had absolutely no use of any part of his body at all (Cerebral Palsy again, I believe). Each have their own unique requirements, I need to ensure that my deaf student can see what I'm doing, can read my lips, and so on, when I need to correct him I need to get in his eye sight first, attract his attention, stop him, and then slowly correct in a more physical way than verbal; the gentleman in a wheelchair that my fellow instructor taught had the techniques adapted as much as they could be (including the attacks from the opponents) to still get the meat of the lessons, designed around his most immediate needs. And the gentleman who attended my class, knowing that he couldn't possibly do any part of the physical art, wanted to discuss the mental and spiritual side of things. I advised him to read up on things like NLP to help with mental attitudes, amongst other things there.

There are then innumerable other situations that could be applied here as well, ranging from someone missing an appendage (arm, leg, hand, fingers), due to accident or other reason, there are more mental disabilities to consider as well (again something I've had experience in having in my class), and so on. Then it comes down to the art itself... a kicking art for someone confined to a wheelchair will need far more dramatic changes than something like Arnis, for example. And finally, it comes down to the instructor themselves. And here is where it gets less politically correct, as it comes down to not only how the instructor decides to teach that student, but ifthey decide to teach that student.

For a number of instructors, teachings what we may call a "special need" student is not something that an instructor has to do, nor indeed should do if they feel unsure about how to do so. If an instructor feels that they cannot teach in a way that suits the potential student, I would say that the instructor should refuse to accept them as a student. That is far preferable to teaching them improperly due to not actually understanding what their particular needs are.

A while back we had a person turn up here talking about his developing a martial art specifically for the handicapped and women (?), as he felt that no martial art was designed for weaker or smaller people (?!?). Suffice to say that he was asked quite a few questions, and it was rather apparent that he lacked the insight, knowledge, experience, and far more in order to achieve his lofty goals (which were lauded themselves, if only for the idealism they showed). His thread can be found here: http://martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81621 It, uh, goes for a bit, though...

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have a fellow student where I take TKD classes who has a disability along the lines of Downs Syndrome. Physically he is capable, but coordination, timing, and comprehension seem difficult for him. He is about about mid way between white and black belt. At this point he has preformed all techniques needed to advance. I'm not sure if he will be able to advance to black belt or not, but I think so...probably with out any real compromise of standards. He might embody the spirit of TKD as much as anyone in the class and I've never seen anyone try harder. From what I can see it takes a lot of patients, but with the right instructions students with this particular kind of disability are capable of going far in the MA's.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have kids with various challenges - as you said, Flea, we all have a challenge of some sort, it is what makes us unique. I have an autistic student, several students with ADD/ADHD and one with an intellectual challenge.

Your questions were:
For you instructors with disabled students (and I know there's at least one of you on MT :p ) do you make any special accommodations for them? Modify techniques? Or do you encourage them to work within the established framework?

I make accommodations for everyone, basically. Some folks can't kick well, so they need extra attention and help and exercises to develop better kicks; some folks don't fall well, so they need extra help and time; some people have memory issues and need to be shown things many times over; some are very young and can't pay attention when a fly is in the room; some are super-smart and would sail through a curriculum if allowed to.

If I have learned anything from my teacher, it is that I need to develop (and continue to develop) my ability to observe, recognize the challenge and address it. This is what I try to do very practically and with everyone.

I do modify techniques somewhat if needed - one can slowly alter the techniques over time to meet a standard - and honestly, there are some techniques I withhold from certain students in frank fear of the potential for current or future misuse. I won't apologize for that, either, because I think that's my responsibility as a teacher and a citizen.

For the most part, I do everything I can to have all students work together, do all the same exercises to the best of their ability, and encourage leadership and cooperation amongst all students. Regardless of ability/talent, everyone comes to class to do their best and try to get better - everyone.

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses everyone!

I could see how instructors could respond in different ways based on their philosophies of the art. For teachers who see the art as an end in itself I'd expect a more perfectionist approach, which is fine for them. For those who see it as a means to the goal of SD it would be rather silly to insist that a student perfect a technique that they can not and never will apply in the real world.

There's also the very practical, if petty, question of hardware. Wheelchairs and crutches can tear up mats. So does everyone work on a hard floor? I had one instructor move the entire class onto a concrete floor for teaching purposes for several months just because. Frankly, I enjoyed it. But if someone with balance issues hit the concrete (or just a carpeted floor for that matter) in the wrong way, that could cause some serious injury. Or what if a service dog suddenly jumped up and raced into the fray to alert its owner of an impending emergency? I think these questions can be resolved with some goodwill and creative thinking, but they are factors to consider.

I have a dear friend who is almost completely blind with two blown-out knees. He's working toward his third-degree black belt, and his biggest frustration comes not from anything medical, but that it's almost impossible for him to line up transportation to the dojang. It's off the grid for the city's paratransit system, so he has to rely on rides from students and classmates. In a perfect world I feel that outside forces like that should be the only barrier to anyone's training.

I really appreciate you guys responding - I was a little afraid this thread would sink like a stone because disability can be an uncomfortable issue for a lot of people. As a disability activist I encounter it a lot, and I suspect that it stems from people being uncomfortable with their own mortality. Unless we leave an exquisite corpse behind by getting hit by a bus in our prime, we will all get dings and rust spots inevitably. It's healthier to face it, and learn more compassion and empathy for those who already have. It can have a great transformative power for instructors to model that empathy and inclusiveness for their students.

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wow Chris, I can't believe I misses that thread. <blush> It woulda been fun.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
My best friend Tony has been in a wheelchair his whole life and he's also an avid aikodoka. From time to time in high school he used to accompany me to karate class to watch, especially the days when we had to do something like go to the comic shop or go see a movie but I still "had" to go to karate at 5:00.

He was interested but wanted to go his own way and we both researched it. He went with aikido after we both met another wheelchair bound martial artist backstage at a Slayer concert.

Being differently abled means just that, different. Just like all of us are different and have to adapt what we learn to fit our bodies, so do they have to do the same. Besides, master Robert J. Ott is one of those guys who scares the crap out of me ... and he's blind. http://www.certainvictory.com/

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
This came up on the evening news tonight, and it was way too cool not to share.

The second train helped save his life: The first train had severed his legs.

"It was a cold night that night," Drugan said. "So, that definitely helped with not losing too much blood. [ ... ]

Now he wants to prove he is one of the world's best skiers. Period.

Drugan can out-ski most two plankers on the mountain any day, but his hope is to be the best mono skier at the Winter X Games. The X Games start Saturday, Jan. 29.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have an underdeveloped cerebellum which nterferes with my balance. What I love about my senseis is they dont treat me any differently than other students, I still have to learn all the same stuff they do, but my senseis know how to teach me how to hold my body so i dont lose my balance as much (its almost like they had experience with students like me before.) They are very good at it and helped me able to compete in tournaments and win medals (against people without balance issues!) When they grade me they just recongize that my katas and kumite and so on probably wont always be as good as other peoples because of the balance issue. Thats how my issue is handled in my dojo. :) I compensate for it by being a fast learner, One brown belt told me she was well into orange belt before she knew all of her new kata (heian sandan, which i am working on now and know all the movements already)

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One of our guys has one leg. Well he trains at another dojo further east of us, but he’s still one of us….

Anyway, he does what he needs to do to make the kata effective for him. It would be impossible for him to do the kata exactly as it’s suppose to be done, so he adds/subtracts nuances as needed. If he did the kata exactly as we do, his balance would be incorrect, his timing off and his cuts crap, so he simply does what he needs to do. He’s a joy to watch.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the Forces we have Battle Back so that injured service personnel can get back into sports. I'm looking to see what we can do in martial arts to join the initiative, I think Ken has already helped me, just by knowing you can do martial arts with one leg is a start. the injured from here are not back at their units yet so we have a while to plan, find out what we can and adapt.
http://www.army.mod.uk/events/sport/16263.aspx

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tez, how about them apples? :ultracool:

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

My plumber has done quite a bit with the Wounded Warrior Project. I hate paying for heating system repairs, esp. preventable heating system repairs (Grrrrr)...but the one thing that took the sting out of having to part with a big pile of cash was knowing that it went to support someone that went out of his way for our disabled vets. He even gave me a small break on price because my niece is on active duty. Good man.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I appreciate Chris Parker's words on the subject of disabilities. No one thing covers every diability that we can come across. We are individals with unique needs.

I have right side afected Cerebral Palsy. I have limited use of my right hand and I walk with a slight limp. (See "Members in Motion" post "4th Dan Break" for a better idea of what it looks like for me. My issues are physical and limited only to one side of my body.

Nearly every instructor I've had have effectively ignored my disability in the day to day training. Because, like everyone else, I have to learn to do these techniques "correctly." Are they correct? Some are better than others. For me, I needed (and still do) to look at it that way.

I've been training for 28 years, and own my own school. It's funny to teach and say, "ok, it doesn't quite look like how I'm about to show you." But, I do it all the time.:)

No matter what disability a person has, they aren't defined soley by that disabilty. Each person is unique. "One size fits all" shouldn't be applied to folks with disabilities. One can't say, "I had a student with Down's Syndrome, so I'll do x,y, & z, with the next one who comes to me." While guidelines can help, we can't serve folks all the same way.

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
In the disability community I've noticed a few common ways people have of living with their situation. One is self-pity.

There's also what I call the Glass Ceiling mentality - it's not as common, but some people live as if they have something to prove. I suspect it has a lot to do with bullying and discrimination. People push themselves to over-achieve on everything they do, just to show 'em that they're not inferior.

And of course there's the healthiest happy medium of taking a positive attitude and enjoying whatever life throws their way.

I think all three are valid responses. Even if self-pity isn't healthy or productive, it's realistic on one level. The disability is real, and it does stink to be held back in whatever form. It can be a springboard into the other two trains of thought - you can't deal with a problem and find solutions until you acknowledge that the disability exists. It can also be a springboard into activism. You can't fight discrimination until you acknowledge that it happens and that it's not acceptable.

Having something to prove? It's a healthier mindset than self-pity, but it can also sap a lot of joy out of life. One of my best friends in high school had severe physical limitations, and she made a point of graduating summa cum laude. She went to Harvard, and then to Yale Law. Last I heard she was clerking for SCOTUS. Bravo for her, but I wonder how many roses she stopped to sniff along the way.

I think that simply enjoying life is, of course, the best option of the three.

I'm sure that I've trained with other people with disabilities, though no one has disclosed anything to me. And that's exactly as it should be. I can't speak for anyone else, but one of the ways in which my training has been cathartic for me is that I'm learning - very slowly - to forgive myself for having to struggle with some aspects of my life. Tiny glimmers of that forgiveness are starting to manifest into the rest of my life. I don't know if I'll ever make a full transition, but I take it day by day.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the disability community I've noticed a few common ways people have of living with their situation. One is self-pity.

There's also what I call the Glass Ceiling mentality - it's not as common, but some people live as if they have something to prove. I suspect it has a lot to do with bullying and discrimination. People push themselves to over-achieve on everything they do, just to show 'em that they're not inferior.

And of course there's the healthiest happy medium of taking a positive attitude and enjoying whatever life throws their way.

well in my ma life i behaved as if i had something to prove. Because in way, I did. People were always telling me, you cant do this or that you cant even carry a cup of coffee across a room because you got bad balance. they were even resistant against me joining up in ma in the first place. What didnt help matters is that my relatives are all fine kinesthetic people who had medals and trophies up to here, which i would see when i went to their houses. I wanted to be just like them, not just be good at school work and studdy stuff. I wanted to show my body is good too. i wanted my own medals. for using my body. So when i first joined Shotokan, I was crazy. I trained every day I did something, either kata, or kicks, or kihon or ippon kumite. I always did something. I achieved what i wanted to at that point in training - got my firstmedal, a gold one - and my first belt, a yellow. I didnt pass orange belt, but neither did i fail it either. I also got a bronze medal in a tournament in November. I wanted to show people that I can do that i wanted, that my gifts/telents arent limited to only intellectual ones. I do have bodily/kinesthetic ability despite my balance issue.

Now that I've proved myself, I no longer feel the pressure. and now I am not so crazy with it. I can enjoy training and classes a LOT more.

If you do have something to prove, that initself isnt a bad thing, as Flea said. Its valid, because you want to show people that they are wrong and you can do more than what life or other people have planned for you. I also did that in university too. I grew up being abused and being called and labeled retarded and mentally disabled. But now, I have a university degree. Whatever else I decide to do after that, i wanna make sure I enjoy it.

Flea is right. You smell a lot more roses when you stop to enjoy the garden than if you're always behaving like you have something to prove.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wrote a reply to a similar thread about 2-1/2 years ago - look here. The student with cerebral palsy also has a cognitive delay (IQ around 75), as does another student with Down's Syndrome. They do the best they can, and the requirements are relaxed so that they can progress and learn, without being so relaxed that their ranks are totally meaningless. It took the first one 9 years to reach green belt (most students take about 12-18 months) and the latter 5 years to reach blue belt (usually about 18-24 months) - but they both show up regularly, and they've both made slow, if sporadic, progress the entire time.

Latest Discussions