I Do Have A Sense Of Humor

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just because I can't control others doesn't mean Im going to find what they say funny. Sometimes I will start a thread with the hope of having a serious discussion and people will try to say funny stuff on the thread. If I wrote the thread to be serious Im not going to find it funny when somebody else tries to be funny on that thread. If I were to write a thread with the intention of it being funny I would write it in The Comedy Cafe, it is the proper folder for humor. If I post a thread and its not in The Comedy Cafe, and people start joking about something that I mean to be serious, its not funny. Just because I don't find everything funny doesn't mean I don't have a sense of humor period. I appreciate good humor not bad humor. And in my opinion part of what makes humor good or bad is whether or not you're doing it in a thread that I start that is not in The Comedy Cafe and that I don't intend to be funny and that I don't intend for people to make jokes on. I might not be able to control whether or not people do joke on such a thread but the fact of the matter is Im not going to find it funny, plain and simple.

The thing is you don't have to. Has anyone demanded you laugh at their jokes?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just because I can't control others doesn't mean Im going to find what they say funny. Sometimes I will start a thread with the hope of having a serious discussion and people will try to say funny stuff on the thread. If I wrote the thread to be serious Im not going to find it funny when somebody else tries to be funny on that thread. If I were to write a thread with the intention of it being funny I would write it in The Comedy Cafe, it is the proper folder for humor. If I post a thread and its not in The Comedy Cafe, and people start joking about something that I mean to be serious, its not funny. Just because I don't find everything funny doesn't mean I don't have a sense of humor period. I appreciate good humor not bad humor. And in my opinion part of what makes humor good or bad is whether or not you're doing it in a thread that I start that is not in The Comedy Cafe and that I don't intend to be funny and that I don't intend for people to make jokes on. I might not be able to control whether or not people do joke on such a thread but the fact of the matter is Im not going to find it funny, plain and simple.
That's unrelated to my advice though. I'm not making a judgment call about what you consider funny or don't. But different people have different senses of humor and find different things funny. If I feel someone's being inappropriately funny (in a way that's not harming someone else), I'll just ignore it. It doesn't mean they have a bad sense of humor, and it doesn't mean that I don't have one at all. We just have different senses of humor.

What you sound like you are doing is either trying to control what others find funny, or being upset that others are making jokes. In both situation, my advice remains: you can't control what others do, you can only control how you react to it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just because I can't control others doesn't mean Im going to find what they say funny.
Sounds like a you problem.
Sometimes I will start a thread with the hope of having a serious discussion and people will try to say funny stuff on the thread. If I wrote the thread to be serious Im not going to find it funny when somebody else tries to be funny on that thread.
Yup. Definitely a you problem.
If I were to write a thread with the intention of it being funny I would write it in The Comedy Cafe, it is the proper folder for humor. If I post a thread and its not in The Comedy Cafe, and people start joking about something that I mean to be serious, its not funny.
Sure it is.
Just because I don't find everything funny doesn't mean I don't have a sense of humor period.
Doesn't mean you do, either.
I appreciate good humor not bad humor.
Except there are clearly a lot of people who disagree with your definition of good humor.
And in my opinion part of what makes humor good or bad is whether or not you're doing it in a thread that I start that is not in The Comedy Cafe and that I don't intend to be funny and that I don't intend for people to make jokes on.
Yeah... still a you problem.
I might not be able to control whether or not people do joke on such a thread but the fact of the matter is Im not going to find it funny, plain and simple.
Why do you think this is anyone's problem other than yours?

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, now this was funny.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
🤣

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
A priest, a yogi, and a lion dancer walk into a vegetarian dim sum place in Chinatown.

Priest orders the dou sha bao bean buns with confidence.

The yogi politely asks for some boiled bok choy.

Lion dancer gasps, resting at the doorway for a moment, then begins begging for an orange.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I asked the clerk in the bookstore where the self-help section was.

She said telling me would defeat the purpose...

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Do you think song birds get annoyed at hummingbirds for not knowing the words?

I lost all the fingers of my right hand in a freak accident. I asked the Dr if I would still be able to write.

She said "Probably...but I wouldn't count on it..."

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Quotation-Groucho-Marx-Be-open-minded-but-not-so-open-minded-that-your-81-8-0816.jpg

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I did. It's laughable. You don't get to determine what anyone finds funny, or when. So get over yourself. This is 100% your problem. Nobody else.
Well at least I've made my point. You might not agree with it but what's most important is that I made my point in the first place.

Latest Discussions