I did a half degree examination

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last sunday I did a half degree examan. As you may know I'm a Firsth degree black belt in TKD and last year I retook TKD training. Afther some injuries and a lot of work my samboknim ask me to do a half degree examn (in July I will do a second degree examn) to see how I'm a doing.

Well I put all my effort in this examen and even it was a not perfect examn I felt great!!

Kicking,punching,stance,blockin/defenses techniques was very good, doing poomse (5,6,7,8, Koryo and Kungam) I had minor mistakes and took my breath away (I need to gaing stamina here),self defense technikes OHHHH BOYY I did them extremely well, sparring was awfull I'm too slow in this point, TOO SLOW, need to drop some bacon, my kicks were good but never reach the target cause I was too slow. Boar breakin was very good, I broke one pine board 1 inch tick with my fist and three pine board 1 inch tick each one (together the three of them) with a powerful side kick, all board broke at once with a sharp blow.

Yes, I need more training but my examn was not bad at all afther several years.

Manny

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Congrats Manny! So, are you redoing your 1st Dan testing with these tests, or is this a 2nd Dan testing, or just a checkup for your instructor to see where you are now?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats Manny, hopefully you will be back at full speed very soon.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well the examan I think it was just a checkup for my instructor to see where I am, wasn't a 1 degree black belt test (I allready am) not a 2 degree black belt neither. The 2 degree black belt examan ( 2 dan black belt) will be on july.

Some thing that encouraged me a lot was the final chat alone with my samboknim, He told me this: As you may see Manny, you did it well, you are a very strong person but you need to figure it out by yourself. It's true, you are not in good shape but you are strong enough physically and mentallity to overcome your fears. I see you as a Ferrary Car, you have alot of horsepower but need to put the engine in timing and need an engine service too (wash injectors,lubrication,etc,etc) cause the Ferrary is worthless if it can't develope all it's performance in the race track.

Manny

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm glad you're doing well and that your training is on course.

But this seems a little weird. Half exam? Did you have to pay an exam fee for this? If so, it seems you got scammed. In any case, doesn't your teacher know how you're doing. Can't he see you spar and do your forms in class and get an idea from that whether you're on track?

cflick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My school does this too.
Where you have credit tests in between your dans! I believe 2.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
congrats on the comeback!

We do testing twice a year also, the pre-test is 6 months before the test and covers the basics such as the new forms we're supposed to know.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my dojan every one do half degree tests, for example if I'am a blue belt, before to become a brown belt I have to do an advanced blue belt rank, then the brown belt tes, and before to turn black belt I hace to do an advanced brown belt examination and so on.

I ha to relearn taeguks 5,6,7,8 and Koryo and Kungam and was very toght in fact Koryo and Kumgam I have to improve them a little.

Manny

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In my dojan every one do half degree tests, for example if I'am a blue belt, before to become a brown belt I have to do an advanced blue belt rank, then the brown belt tes, and before to turn black belt I hace to do an advanced brown belt examination and so on.

I ha to relearn taeguks 5,6,7,8 and Koryo and Kungam and was very toght in fact Koryo and Kumgam I have to improve them a little.

Manny

Those are kyu tests, though. Blue is 4th, high blue is 3rd, brown (or red) is 2nd, and high brown (high red) is 1st. You have to do the 10 kyu ranks to get you to the Dan ranks in every school. Not to speak for everyone here, but I think the idea of test a between 1st Dan and 2nd Dan was new to some folks. You did say that your instructor wanted to gauge your current abilities though, which likely is the best reason for your test (other than getting you ready for testing again in advance of your upcoming Dan test).

jim