Free TKD PDF

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Stuart I will take the time to look it over in detail later this week and give you some feed back. Thank you for your insight.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On behalf of the membership, thank you Stuart. I'll download this tonight. :)

OP
S

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
No problem guys & gals.. please enjoy.

Stuart

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Gen. Choi's self made myth of creating the hyung single handedly marches on...

Still reading Stuart, very interesting. Could you please explain the following, it is something that has been discussed on here before:

TKD mostly did away with the mainly linear motions of karate and re-introduced many circular motions for their added power elements.

OP
S

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Gen. Choi's self made myth of creating the hyung single handedly marches on...
I dont feel it does that at all!!! Besides, Im on the opposite side of the fence to that opinion and believe many that were involved never got enough credit. At the time of writting I wasnt that researched into that area (hence why its not an in-depth analysis of such in the book), but know Nam Tae Hi, Han Cha Kyo, CK Choi, Woo Jae Lim, Kim Bok Man & of course Park Jung Tae all played major parts in their formulation .. since the books release many, as well as myself have got togethor to discuss how much of a role they may have played, to which pattern etc. and its all interesting stuff that should be acknowledged IMO.. but again, I dont feel I perpertrate that myth any further in the book or the articles! That said, Gen Choi did have the final 'yeah' or 'nay' on them I feel.. which is different from actually doing the whole creation singlehandedly bit!

Still reading Stuart, very interesting. Could you please explain the following, it is something that has been discussed on here before:
Sorry, Im not sure what your asking exactly! Karate (shotokan) was very linear in its techniques, TKD was influenced by other systems as well as Karate (Hapkido for example) and hence circular movements were infused as well. Examples like blocks coming from the side round instead of flicking directly up at the front. Is that what your asking for? I would be interested in reading the discussion you mention if you could post a link.

Stuart

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I apologise for the way the Choi point probably came across as negative, I couldnt cut and paste from the article you had included so I made that a bit vague!

I asked that question as having trained with a shotokan club in the past for some time I didnt think they were that much more linear than TKD, its just always seemed to be the way the drills were done. I'll have a search for that discussion.

I'm certainly interested in your book, you seem to have a very impressive understanding of hyung, and judging by your above post, the history too!

Thanks again.

OP
S

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I apologise for the way the Choi point probably came across as negative, I couldnt cut and paste from the article you had included so I made that a bit vague!
No worries.. I would be interested why you felt that though.. as it was not an 'intended' thing on my part.

I asked that question as having trained with a shotokan club in the past for some time I didnt think they were that much more linear than TKD, its just always seemed to be the way the drills were done.
Funnily enough, as a Kup grade, so did I (train with a Shotokan BB) and following the books release, I learnt that much in Shotokan has changed over the years as well.. including more circular stuff introduced (Back piercing kick being a prime example as it didnt exsist in Shotokan prior to TKD's development so Im told), but pre-1950s it wasnt there. BTW, Im not authority on Shotokan.. and only comment on what I have witnessed training and researched for the book.

I'll have a search for that discussion.
Cool.. cheers.

I'm certainly interested in your book, you seem to have a very impressive understanding of hyung, and judging by your above post, the history too!
I certainly dont feel I am any form of TKD historian, the parts in the book are purely to 'set the scene' so to speak.. but history was never my strong subject. My main aim is to make TKD more productive and practical for the modern day student, to me, everything else is great, but secondary.

Stuart

Latest Discussions