I am very humbled.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Guys,

I am and was quite humbled earlier today, twice. I was talking this morning with my dad, he told me that he admired me for many reasons. The number one of them being the fact that I never let my leg disabilities get in my way, he noted that I side stepped my direction of training and continued but didn't quit. etc. etc. If you guys knew the kind of quite awe my pops presence brought in a crowd you would understand.

It got better though, this afternoon one of my current instructors who is going through hamstring rehab did the same. Different wording of course but same message. The second individual a 4th dan even wanted my thoughts on throwing from my judo background. The gentleman was being very nice and overly considerate considering he is a 4th dan in hapkido as well.

It was very nice and I felt compelled to share.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is an excellent thing to share..Thanks...

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Matt, thank you for sharing that with us. It is truly a wonderful thing when those in our lives take that extra step to make us feel good for our hard work. :)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations! The people most deserving of commendation are often, like yourself, those who least expect it.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Holy Cow...that is absolutely amazing.

Matt, you inspire me...and no doubt, other as well...in so many ways.

To hear that from an instructor must be amazing...but to hear that from an instructor that is also one's Dad...wow...that's just incredible. What an awesome thing.

Very glad you shared that...its for stuff like this...that's why we all train. The rewards are incredible. :asian:

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Matt---the key thing is, what these people are telling you is something they genuinely mean and believe (on the basis of considerable expertise!), so you should believe it too. Sometimes when people give you unexpected praise, you feel at some level that they must be confusing you with someone else, they couldn't possibly mean all those nice things, you don't really deserve it, blah blah blah. It ain't so---they're not confusing you with anyone else, they do mean it and you do deserve it. You really are as good as they're telling you you are. Father knows best and all that! :wink1:

You're just gonna have to learn to live with being outstanding...

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm always very impressed by someone who adapts his training to fit his strengths and his weaknesses in a smart way...whether it's a disability, a height or weight issue, being fast or slow, or what-have-you. Good for you!

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If anyone deserves praise like that Matt, it's you.

Jeff

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are a very inspiring guy. I have not met you and I am compelled to work harder after reading many of your posts and as I learn more about you.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very remarkable. Matt's dad isn't the type that hands out a lot of compliments, generally speaking, and when he says something like that he definately means it.

Warms the heart, Matt :) :asian:

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's awesome news to share Matt and you should be very proud of yourself. It's often quiet determination that makes the biggest impression, and is always a wonderful thing when it gets recognized. You deserve the recognition. :asian:

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Matt,

As I'm sure you know, a lot of men don't know how to let don't & say things like that....Let alone to their sons. That is a very special gift.

Matt, you strike me as a guy who takes obsticles as a challenge, rather than an excuse to not do something. Too many folks do the latter. A lot of folks want to be defined by their weakest points. You strike me as a guy who understands himself by his highest ideals. Dreams are only realized by having those high ideals in mind.

You work hard & people notice.

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing that with us all, Matt!

Isn't it nice to know when, beyond a shadow of a doubt, you're walking along a true path?

Now the question becomes... how do you use these feelings to make yourself and even better Student of the Martial Sciences?

Best wishes for many more days of feeling that same emotion, my friend!

Yours in the arts,

Andy

P.S. Cherish as if GOLD those positive interactions with you Dad... then you won't regret later those times when they weren't...

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm always very impressed by someone who adapts his training to fit his strengths and his weaknesses in a smart way...whether it's a disability, a height or weight issue, being fast or slow, or what-have-you. Good for you!

Could not have said it better myself. We all come to the dojang with abilities and disabilities. The trick is not to get hampered by either.

Miles

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Guys,

I am and was quite humbled earlier today, twice. I was talking this morning with my dad, he told me that he admired me for many reasons. The number one of them being the fact that I never let my leg disabilities get in my way, he noted that I side stepped my direction of training and continued but didn't quit. etc. etc.

I don't know what kind of diability you have, but have you read "Martial Arts for People with Disabilities" by Chris McNab?

Here is a link to a description:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Martial-Arts-People-Disabilities-Techniques/dp/1590843991

I am reading a copy right now that I got from my local library. I have not read much, but I may post an opinion piece on it when I am done.

AoG

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing that, Matt. I also second the comment made about you being inspiring in what you post, and also the fact that you don't let your problems let you down- you just keep doing what you love and enjoy!

Latest Discussions