Instructors

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many instructor our on the floor during your training classes and how is the instructor broke into groups to teach what?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am not a TDK practioneer nor TKD Instructor...In the police academy it's 3 instructors and about 30 students..There is a lead instructor and 2 assistants..Students pair up with each others,if there is an odd number of students then one of the assistants will jump in so he doesn't stand there ..My 2 cents..

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my class, its just me. I have to juggle having the yellow belts do A,B,& C, while teaching the white belts x, y, & z. I can't wait until I have higher ranked students.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my class, its just me. I have to juggle having the yellow belts do A,B,& C, while teaching the white belts x, y, & z. I can't wait until I have higher ranked students.

Iceman can you not find another BB to help out with the school or is it to soon for that

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Depends on who shows up and how many students. I always go in thinking I will be the only one and have a lesson for that but if I have advanced belt show up then I will put them to work either as guides or giving specific instruction with me overseeing.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Iceman can you not find another BB to help out with the school or is it to soon for that

I've not been able to find one (nor have I looked too hard, actually). I'm working on learning the USCDKA curiculum & way as it is. Adding an outside BB at this point (teaching him my ideas & how they differ from his/her old school) is a bit more than I can handle. Right now, I only get paid to teach 2 hours a week. The rest of my time is other duties. I would have to invest a lot of outside time into a new BB to get him up to teaching speed.

In addition to my 8 yr old BB, I had a guy (an adult) who claimed to be a brown belt, who wanted to help me a few weeks ago. When I asked about the forms & other specific training he'd done, he couldn't answer me. I figure that if he can't articulate his past training, he won't be much help to me.

There is a BB from my sister school who moved near me, but e's got this pesky job that gets in the way of training. Priorities!:)

kik

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wow!! I wish I lived near you....I'm in IL. I'd be glad to help out and have a place to work out!! I've been Teaching for about 15yrs. But I took this last year off to train myself. I'm currently 3rd Dan Kukkiwon going for 4th in Dec.
I know what it's like trying to run the gamut on all belt levels..very rough. I hope you find someone that meets your expectations.

Kik

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow!! I wish I lived near you....I'm in IL. I'd be glad to help out and have a place to work out!! I've been Teaching for about 15yrs. But I took this last year off to train myself. I'm currently 3rd Dan Kukkiwon going for 4th in Dec.
I know what it's like trying to run the gamut on all belt levels..very rough. I hope you find someone that meets your expectations.

Kik

I'm not hoping for much. I just want someone who has some experience & is willing to learn the style of TKD I teach (I've had folks in the past who don't even know what side kick is!).

Where about in IL are you? I'm from Elgin, myself.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not hoping for much. I just want someone who has some experience & is willing to learn the style of TKD I teach (I've had folks in the past who don't even know what side kick is!).

Where about in IL are you? I'm from Elgin, myself.

Iceman I wish you luck

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many instructor our on the floor during your training classes and how is the instructor broke into groups to teach what?

What usually happens is, either my instructor has me teach the new and lower colored belt students during the first half of class and he works with the more advanced belts, or vice versa: he works on the ultrabasic material with the beginners and has me work on more advanced material with our green, purple and blue belts---usually poomsae review and practice.

We fuse the two groups again during the second half of class---he doesn't like to run two separate tracks for the whole class--- he wants to make sure the junior belts have a chance to see what the more advanced belts are doing, and what they themselves will be able to do as they get further in the syllabus. It seems to work out pretty well...

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score

There are usually 2 instructors when we're in a large group at the start of class. If we break into two groups we have an instructor and an assistant who helps out with those who need assistance with a stance or technique and if we break up into smaller groups one instructor for each group.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm by my self as well, my wife will take the very basic white belts (not working on forms or one-steps yet) but I'm the only instructor. But in a full time environment I can break the classes down into more manageable chunks. I would rather not have any more students than 15 in a class by myself.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
What usually happens is, either my instructor has me teach the new and lower colored belt students during the first half of class and he works with the more advanced belts, or vice versa: he works on the ultrabasic material with the beginners and has me work on more advanced material with our green, purple and blue belts---usually poomsae review and practice.

We fuse the two groups again during the second half of class---he doesn't like to run two separate tracks for the whole class--- he wants to make sure the junior belts have a chance to see what the more advanced belts are doing, and what they themselves will be able to do as they get further in the syllabus. It seems to work out pretty well...

Spot on exile. This is exactly what we do in our club as well.

I think it also helps to show the junior grades that they need not be afraid of the senior grades. If they were run as separate classes the juniors can be tempted to put seniors on a pedestal because of their skill and intensity level and be quite afraid/timid when it does come to spar with them.

By introducing them early they get built up in to working with senior grades before spending too much time watching them go at it hard and fast.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is exactly what we do in our club as well.

I think it also helps to show the junior grades that they need not be afraid of the senior grades. If they were run as separate classes the juniors can be tempted to put seniors on a pedestal because of their skill and intensity level and be quite afraid/timid when it does come to spar with them.

Very true---a lot of the junior belts are kind of apprehensive about the seniors---they think there's some kind of magic threshhold that you suddenly cross and then you're `good' and before you get there you aren't. When the classes are all mixed in terms of rank, that kind of unnecessary awe is much less likely to arise. Nothing gives a junior belt confidence like seeing an advanced belt get confused in the middle of a poomsae and perform a down block instead of the required outward middle block.

By introducing them early they get built up in to working with senior grades before spending too much time watching them go at it hard and fast.

It's kind of like the `reading buddies' setup in my son's elementary school---a third or fourth grader helps a second grader, and it does good things for attitudes on both sides of the age divide. That's really important in something like MA where hard contact is sometimes involved.

Latest Discussions