I am off the mat

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes I am off the mat because of medical issues. I develop calcareal spurrs (spurrs in the heel) that it's causing me a lot of pain in one foot (fascitis plantar), so doctor order me some rest, epecial insolles and medication.

I've been of the mat since last monday and it feels like years!! I hope to retake kenpo/tkd classes in 7-10 days without disconfort.

Manny

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, Manny. Hope you're back to fighting fit soon.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just because you're off the mats doesn't mean you can't train!

This is a great opportunity to review & update notes on your katas/forms, and on techniques. Or, if you didn't make them before, start 'em! There are all those little pieces that you've forgotten are there till you examine them, and writing them down will help you find & remember them.

It's also a great opportunity to spend some time reading related books or watching videos... or just visiting other schools and watching a class or two, to see what's going on. (Or catch up old threads on MartialTalk!)

Being unable to train with your body is an opportunity to train your mind... not a reason not to train!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just because you're off the mats doesn't mean you can't train! Being unable to train with your body is an opportunity to train your mind... not a reason not to train!

Well said jks..I feel your pain Manny...Blew out my knee and back which forced me to retire from law enforcement..I still attend class and do what I can, when the pain is too much I sit and watch.

I correct stances and remind students to slow down and get the technique right and then they can speed it up..Master Steve has been a big help by helping me spot the things that need work on..

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I hope your foot gets completely better and fast. I think that watching class is an excellent way to keep it together while you are off. I would watch how others do things, this way you might be able to pick up a few things that would actually benefit you in the long run. You can also practice blocks, punches, and strikes to get them perfected. I think that mental training can also be excellent as well. Good luck!!

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Excellent advice from Jim. :asian:

I do hope your foot heals quickly and you can get back to physical training soon Manny. Keep us posted.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just because you're off the mats doesn't mean you can't train!

This is a great opportunity to review & update notes on your katas/forms, and on techniques. Or, if you didn't make them before, start 'em! There are all those little pieces that you've forgotten are there till you examine them, and writing them down will help you find & remember them.

It's also a great opportunity to spend some time reading related books or watching videos... or just visiting other schools and watching a class or two, to see what's going on. (Or catch up old threads on MartialTalk!)

Being unable to train with your body is an opportunity to train your mind... not a reason not to train!

In fact I am studiying the purple belt techs on internet, I am digering the techs and sometimes I just do them tyo comprehend them.

A couple of days ago i went to my kenpo dojo and had a nice chat with my sensei and he invited me to go training to just do the techs and not stressing my feet, I mean a very light class and I think I will do it next monday.

I will do to my TKD dojang too and see if sambunim allows me to do light workout too and see how my feet behave.

Manny